Justin S. Crotteau
11175 Auke Lake Way
Contact Justin S. Crotteau
I investigate forest structural and compositional change (i.e., stand dynamics) to inform management. Active forest management plays an integral role in providing society the resources required to function and flourish. Overall, my research elucidates stand responses to natural disturbances or silvicultural practices in multiple benefit forests, and therefore has implications for timber production, biodiversity, restoration, and resilience to future disturbances.
- Stand dynamics
- Disturbance ecology
- Emulating natural disturbances
- Natural regeneration
- Fire and fuels
Why This Research is Important
Understanding how forests change in response to management decisions and natural disturbances is imperative for delivering sustainable benefits to forest land owners. By evaluating forest structural and compositional change in the past we are able to assess the tradeoffs associated with management activity or inactivity. Ultimately, this leads to enhanced understanding of forest dynamics and improved decision making for the future.
- University of Montana, Ph.D. Forest and Conservation Sciences 2017
- Humboldt State University, M.S. Forestry 2011
- Society of American Foresters (SAF)
- Crotteau, Justin ; Sutherland, Elaine Kennedy; Jain, Theresa ; Wright, David ; Jenkins, Melissa ; Keyes, Christopher ; Nagel, Linda M. 2019. Initiating climate adaptation in a western larch forest.
- Crotteau, Justin S.; Keyes, Christopher R.; Hood, Sharon M.; Affleck, David L. R.; Sala, Anna . 2018. Fuel dynamics after a bark beetle outbreak impacts experimental fuel treatments.
- Crotteau, Justin S.; Hood, Sharon M.; Lutes, Duncan C.; Keyes, Christopher R.; Sala, Anna ; Harrington, Michael G. 2018. Management and succession at the Lick Creek Demonstration/Research Forest, Montana.
- Crotteau, Justin S.; Keyes, Christopher R.; Hood, Sharon M.; Larson, Andrew J.; Sutherland, Elaine Kennedy; Wright, David K.; Egan, Joel M. 2018. Stand dynamics 11 years after retention harvest in a lodgepole pine forest.
- Crotteau, Justin S.; Keyes, Christopher R.; Sutherland, Elaine K.; Wright, David K.; Egan, Joel M. 2016. Forest fuels and potential fire behaviour 12 years after variable-retention harvest in lodgepole pine.
- Crotteau, Justin S.; Ritchie, Martin W.; Varner, J. Morgan; Berrill, John-Pascal. 2015. Quercus kelloggii (Newb.) sprout response to fire severity in northern California.
- Crotteau, Justin S.; Ritchie, Martin W.; Varner, J. Morgan. 2014. A Mixed-Effects Heterogeneous Negative Binomial Model for Postfire Conifer Regeneration in Northeastern California, USA.
- Crotteau, Justin S.; Ritchie, Martin W. 2014. Long-term stand growth of interior ponderosa pine stands in response to structural modifications and burning treatments in northeastern California.
- Crotteau, Justin; Varner, Morgan; Ritchie, Martin. 2012. Post-fire regeneration across a fire severity gradient in the southern Cascades.