John M. Chase
Natural Resource and GIS/Remote Sensing Specialist
620 SW Main, Suite 400
Contact John M. Chase
- Forest landscape change detection
- Landscape characterization and mapping
- Inventory and monitoring techniques
- Visualization of geospatial information
- Sustainable natural resource stewardship
- Human and landscape interactions
Why This Research is Important
This research is valuable because it examines human and natural resource interactions at the intersection of people and place. It serves to better visualize and understand the associated impacts to cultural and physical systems, and to inform and enhance sustainable natural and cultural resource stewardship.
- Portland State University, Bachelor Of Science Geography
- University of Minnesota, Bachelor Of Arts English Literature
- Portland State University, Master Of Science Geography
- Association Of Pacific Coast Geographers, Member (1998 - Current)
- Oregon Academy Of Science, Member (1998 - Current)
Awards & Recognition
- 2016-17 FIA Director's Award for Excellence, 2017
For contributions to the national Digital Engagement Team to develop and deliver FIA’s data, information, and knowledge using new tools to convey stories with spatial analysis through user-friendly digital science delivery.
- Bansal, Sheel; Brodie, Leslie; Stanton, Sharon; Waddell, Karen; Palmer, Marin; Christensen, Glenn; Kuegler, Olaf; Chase, John; Thompson, Joel; Jovan, Sarah; Gray, Andrew; Todd, Morgan. 2017. Oregon s forest resources, 2001 2010: ten-year Forest Inventory and Analysis report.
- Koch, Frank H.; Prestemon, Jeff; Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Hinkley, Everett A.; Chase, John M. 2016. Predicting cannabis cultivation on national forests using a rational choice framework.
- Goeking, Sara A.; Liknes, Greg C.; Lindblom, Erik; Chase, John; Jacobs, Dennis M.; Benton, Robert. 2012. A GIS-based tool for estimating tree canopy cover on fixed-radius plots using high-resolution aerial imagery.
- Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Michael, Yvonne L.; Butry, David T.; Sullivan, Amy D.; Chase, John M. 2012. Correspondence: comment on Green Space, health inequality, and pregnancy..
- Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Michael, Yvonne L.; Butry, David T.; Sullivan, Amy D.; Chase, John M. 2011. Urban trees and the risk of poor birth outcomes.
Citations of non US Forest Service Publications
Daniels, J.M., Robbins, A.S.T., Brinkley, W. R., Wolf, K. L., and Chase, J. M. 2014. Toward estimating the value of stewardship volunteers: A cost-based valuation approach in King County, Washington, USA. Urban Forestry and Greening. 13:2, 285-289.
- Chase, John M. Forests of Oregon, 2014. 2016. An interactive overview of Oregon's forests based on summarized forest resource information collected and compiled by the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Program, Pacific Northwest Research Station, USDA Forest Service. ArcGIS online map journal: https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=e19f83db5d4c4442bd59c1258c2b558f