P.O. Box 12254
Research Triangle Park
Contact Johnny Boggs
Investigating the management potential of forests to protect water resources in the Piedmont of North Carolina and the impacts of nitrogen deposition on nutrient cycling and forest productivity in the eastern United States.Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge; Domec, Jean-Christophe; McNulty, Steven; Treasure, Emrys. 2015. Clearcutting upland forest alters transpiration of residual trees in the riparian buffer zone. Hydrological Processes John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. 14 p.
- Alabama A&M University, M.S. Plant and Soil Science 1998
- Alabama A&M University, B.S. Environment Science 1996
- Minorities in Agriculture Natural Resources and Related Sciences (2015 - Current)
Awards & Recognition
- Research Professional Support Award , 2015
For exceptional professional support in studying the impacts of forest management and climate change on water resources and ecosystem sustainability.
Featured Publications & Products
- Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steven. 2015. Effects of timber harvest on water quantity and quality in small watersheds in the Piedmont of North Carolina.
- Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge. 2011. Urbanization alters watershed hydrology in the Piedmont of North Carolina.
- Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve. 2017. The effects of stream crossings on total suspended sediment in North Carolina Piedmont forests.
- McNulty, Steven G.; Boggs, Johnny L.; Aber, John D.; Rustad, Lindsey E. 2017. Spruce-fir forest changes during a 30-year nitrogen saturation experiment.
- Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge; Domec, Jean-Christophe; McNulty, Steven; Treasure, Emrys. 2015. Clearcutting upland forest alters transpiration of residual trees in the riparian buffer zone.
- Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve. 2016. Paired forested watershed experiments in the Piedmont of North Carolina.
- McNulty, Steven G.; Boggs, Johnny L.; Sun, Ge. 2014. The rise of the mediocre forest: why chronically stressed trees may better survive extreme episodic climate variability.
- Boggs, Johnny; Sun, Ge; Jones, David; McNulty, Steven G. 2013. Effect of soils on water quantity and quality in Piedmont forested headwater watersheds of North Carolina.
- Caldwell, Peter; Segura, Catalina; Laird, Shelby Gull; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steven G.; Sandercock, Maria; Boggs, Johnny; Vose, James M. 2015. Short-term stream water temperature observations permit rapid assessment of potential climate change impacts.
- Dreps, C.; Sun, G.; Boggs, J. 2014. Water balances of two Piedmont headwater catchments: implications for regional hydrologic landscape classification.
- Crowley, K.F.; McNeil, B.E.; Lovett, G.M.; Canham, C.D.; Driscoll, C.T.; Rustad, L.E.; Denny, E.; Hallett, R.A.; Arthur, M.A.; Boggs, J.L.; Goodale, C.L.; Kahl, J.S.; McNulty, S.G.; Ollinger, S.V.; Pardo, L.H.; Schaberg, P.G.; Stoddard, J.L.; Weand, M.P.; Weather, K.C. 2012. Do nutrient limitation patterns shift from nitrogen toward phosphorus with increasing nitrogen deposition across the northeastern United States.
- McNulty, Steven G.; Boggs, Johnny L. 2010. A conceptual framework: redifining forests soil's critical acid loads under a changing climate.
- Boggs, Johnny L.; McNulty, Steven G. 2010. Changes in canopy cover alter surface air and forest floor temperature in a high-elevation red spruce (Picea rubens Sarg.) forest.
- Domec, J.-C.; Noormets, A.; Sun, Ge; King, J.; McNulty, Steven; Gavazzi, Michael; Boggs, Johnny; Treasure, Emrys. 2009. Decoupling the influence of leaf and root hydraulic conductances on stomatal conductance and its sensitivity to vapour pressure deficit as soil dries in a drained loblolly pine plantation.
- Sun, Ge; Boggs, Johnny; McNulty, Steven G.; Amatya, Devendra M.; Trettin, Carl C.; Dai, Zhaohua; Vose, James M.; La Torre Torres, Ileana B.; Callahan, Timothy. 2008. Hydrologic processes of forested headwater watersheds across a physiographaic gradient in the southeastern United States.
- Boggs, Johnny L.; McNulty, Steven G.; Pardo, Linda H. 2007. Changes in conifer and deciduous forest foliar and forest floor chemistry and basal area tree growth across a nitrogen (N) deposition gradient in the northeastern US.
- Pardo, Linda H.; McNulty, Steven G.; Boggs, Johnny L.; Duke, Sara. 2007. Regional patterns in foliar 15N across a gradient of nitrogen deposition in the northeastern US.
- Wallenstein, Matthew D.; McNulty, Steven; Fernandez, Ivan J.; Boggs, Johnny; Schlesinger, William H. 2006. Nitrogen fertilization decreases forest soil fungal and bacterial biomass in three long-term experiments.
- McNulty, Steven G.; Boggs, Johnny; Aber, John D.; Rustad, Lindsey; Magill, Allison. 2005. Red spruce ecosystem level changes following 14 years of chronic N fertilization.
- Boggs, Johnny L.; McNulty, Steven G.; Gavazzi, Michael J.; Myers, Jennifer Moore. 2005. Tree growth, foliar chemistry, and nitrogen cycling across a nitrogen deposition gradient in southern Appalachian deciduous forests.
- Boggs, Johnny L.; Tsegaye, T.D.; Coleman, Tamula L.; Reddy, K.C.; Fahsi, Ahmed. 2003. Relationship between hyperspectral reflectance, soil nitrate-nitrogen, cotton leaf chlorophyll, and cotton yield: A step toward precision agriculture.
|Forest Cover Plays a More Critical Role in Regulating Water Resources in the Piedmont than in the Mountains and Coastal Plain|
The mountains, Piedmont, and coastal plain are three distinct land provinces across the southeastern U.S. Population density, topography, and ty ...
|Water samples provide further guidance on how best to protect water quality at stream crossings in Piedmont forests|
Sedimentation inputs to streams are some of the biggest current and future challenges for land and water managers. Preventing stream sediment ge ...