Jack L. Butler
8221 S. Highway 16
Contact Jack L. Butler
My research interests focuses on the ecology and management of the vegetation associated with the grasslands, shrublands, woodlands, and forests of the Northern Great Plains. This includes the effects of invasive plants on the ecosystem structure, function, and sustainability, and vegetation management in relation to natural and anthropogenic distubances.
The Northern Great Plains contains some of the largests undisturbed tracts of native grasslands in the United States. These diverse ecosystems provide a wide variety of consumptive and non-consumptive resources. Research is needed to develop the innovative tools and techniques that provide a range of sustainable alternatives consistent with the compromises that are often inherent in simultaneously managing for multiple use.
Why This Research is Important
- Southeastern Oklahoma State University, B.S. Wildlife Conservation 1979
- North Dakota State University, M.S. Botany 1983
- Texas A&M University, Ph.D. Range Science 1986
Awards & Recognition
- National Grasslands Research and Technology Award, 2011
Awarded by the National Grasslands Council
Featured Publications & Products
- Butler, Jack L.; Wacker, Stefanie D. 2010. Lack of native vegetation recovery following biological control of leafy spurge.
- Butler, Jack; Pearson, Dean; Kim, Mee-Sook. 2009. Invasive Species Working Group: Research Summary and Expertise Directory.
- Kim, Mee-Sook, Coord..; Butler, Jack, ed. 2009. Invasive Species Science Update (No. 3).
- Kim, Mee-Sook, coord.; Butler, Jack, ed. 2008. Invasive Species Science Update (No. 2).
- Kim, Mee-Sook, coord.; Butler, Jack, ed. 2008. Invasive Species Science Update (No. 1).
- Finch, Deborah M.; Butler, Jack L.; Runyon, Justin B.; Fettig, Christopher J.; Kilkenny, Francis F.; Jose, Shibu; Frankel, Susan J.; Cushman, Samuel A.; Cobb, Richard C.; Dukes, Jeffrey S.; Hicke, Jeffrey A.; Amelon, Sybill K. 2021. Effects of Climate Change on Invasive Species.
- Reeves, Matt ; Butler, Jack L.; Schoeneberger, Michele ; Kilgo, John C. 2021. Regional Summaries: Great Plains Region.
- Butler, Jack L.; Ott, Jacqueline P.; Hartway, Cynthia R.; Dickerson, Brian E. 2018. Biological assessment of oil and gas development on the Little Missouri National Grassland.
- Pearson, Dean E.; Ortega, Yvette K.; Runyon, Justin ; Butler, Jack L. 2018. Secondary invasion re-redefined: The distinction between invader-facilitated and invader-contingent invasions as subclasses of secondary invasion.
- Ott, Jacqueline P.; Butler, Jack L.; Rong, Yuping; Xu, Lan. 2017. Greater bud outgrowth of Bromus inermis than Pascopyrum smithii under multiple environmental conditions.
- Finch, Deborah M.; Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Reeves, Matt C.; Ott, Jeffrey E.; Kilkenny, Francis F.; Butler, Jack L.; Ott, Jacqueline P.; Pinto, Jeremy R.; Ford, Paulette L.; Runyon, Justin B.; Rumble, Mark A.; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2016. Rangeland drought: Effects, restoration, and adaptation Chap. 8.
- Pearson, Dean E.; Ortega, Yvette K.; Runyon, Justin B.; Butler, Jack L. 2016. Secondary invasion: The bane of weed management.
- Boyda, Eric D.; Butler, Jack L.; Xu, Lan. 2015. Estimating herbaceous biomass of grassland vegetation using the reference unit method.
- Pearson, Dean; Ortega, Yvette; Butler, Jack. 2015. Invasive Species Science Update (No. 8).
- Piya, Sarbottam; Nepal, Madhav P.; Butler, Jack L.; Larson, Gary E.; Neupane, Achal. 2014. Genetic diversity and population structure of sickleweed (Falcaria vulgaris; Apiaceae) in the upper Midwest USA.
- Pearson, Dean; Ortega, Yvette; Butler, Jack. 2014. Invasive Species Science Update (No. 7).
- Butler, Jack L.; Wacker, Stefanie D. 2013. Sickleweed on the Fort Pierre National Grasslands: An emerging threat.
- Helms, Emily R.; Xu, Lan; Butler, Jack L. 2012. Contributions of seed bank and vegetative propagules to vegetation composition on prairie dog colonies in western South Dakota.
- Roemmich, Aurora R.; Butler, Jack L.; Larson, Gary E.; Turnipseed, E. Brent. 2012. Germination response of prairie dropseed and hairy goldaster to stratification and temperature.
- Piya, Sarbottam; Nepal, Madhav P.; Neupane, Achal; Larson, Gary E.; Butler, Jack L. 2012. Inferring introduction history and spread of Falcaria vulgaris Bernh. (Apiaceae) in the United States based on herbarium records.
- Runyon, Justin B.; Butler, Jack L.; Friggens, Megan M.; Meyer, Susan E.; Sing, Sharlene E. 2012. Invasive species and climate change (Chapter 7).
- Pearson, Dean; Sutherland, Steve; Butler, Jack; Smith, Jane; Sieg, Carolyn. 2011. I. Plants.
- Pearson, D. E.; Kim, M.; Butler, J. 2011. Rocky Mountain Research Station invasive species visionary white paper.
- Nosshi, Maged Ikram; Butler, Jack; Trlica, M. J. 2007. Soil nitrogen mineralization not affected by grass species traits.
- Butler, Jack L.; Parker, Matthew S.; Murphy, John T. 2006. Efficacy of flea beetle control of leafy spurge in Montana and South Dakota.
- Wacker, Stefanie D.; Butler, Jack L. 2006. Potential impact of two Aphthona spp. on a native, nontarget Euphorbia species.
- Butler, Jack L.; Cogan, Daniel R. 2004. Leafy spurge effects on patterns of plant species richness.
|Climate Change and Grazing Alter Invasive and Native Perennial Grass Stem Recruitment|
Scientists found that smooth brome, an invasive perennial grass, out-performed the native western wheatgrass under a variety of temperature and ...
|Climate and Grazing Affect Prairie Grass Reproduction|
Climate Change and Grazing Can Alter the Amount of Bud Outgrowth of Both Invasive and Native Grasses.
|Investigating New Emerging Invasive Plant Threats|
Forest Service scientists and partners developed an aggressive approach to investigate the biological and habitat characteristics of sickleweed, ...
|Ponderosa Pine Understory Vegetation Recovers Quickly Following Timber Harvest|
Creating and maintaining a healthy forest relies on the resiliency of understory vegetation. The understory vegetation is largely responsible fo ...
|The Bane of Weed Management: Secondary Invasions|
Weed management can result in unintentional secondary invasion: an increase in non-target exotics following efforts to suppress targeted invasiv ...