Note: this person is no longer a Forest Service Research & Development employee.
Featured Publications & Products
- Welsh, Hartwell, Jr..; Hodgson, Garth. 2010. Spatial relationships in a dendritic network: the herpetofaunal metacommunity of the Mattole River catchment of northwest California..
- Welsh, H. H., Jr..; Wheeler, C. A.; Lind, A. J. 2010. Spatial ecology of the aquatic garter snake, Thamnophis atratus, in a free-flowing stream environment.
- Fuller, Terra; Pope, Karen; Ashton, Donald ; Welsh, Hartwell, Jr. 2010. Linking the distribution of an invasive amphibian (Rana catesbeiana) to habitat conditions in a managed river system in northern California..
- Welsh, H. H. Jr.; G. R. Hodgson, J. J.; Duda, J. M. Emlen. 2010. Faunal assemblages and multi-scale habitat patterns in headwater tributaries of the South Fork Trinity River - an unregulated river embedded within a multiple-use landscape.
- Best, M. L.; Welsh, H. H., Jr. 2014. The trophic role of a forest salamander: impacts on invertebrates, leaf litter retention, and the humification process.
- Welsh Jr., Hartwell H. 2011. Frogs, fish and forestry: An integrated watershed network paradigm conserves biodiversity and ecological services.
- Welsh Jr., Hartwell H.; Cummings, Adam K.; Hodgson, Garth R. 2017. Stream amphibians as metrics of ecosystem stress: a case study from California s redwoods revisited.
- Lind, Amy J.; Welsh, Hartwell H.; Wheeler, Clara A. 2016. Foothill yellow-legged frog (Rana boylii) oviposition site choice at multiple spatial scales.
- Railsback, Steven F.; Harvey, Bret C.; Kupferberg, Sarah J.; Lang, Margaret M.; McBain, Scott; Welsh, Hart H. 2016. Modeling potential river management conflicts between frogs and salmonids.
- Snover, Melissa L.; Adams, Michael J.; Ashton, Donald T.; Bettaso, Jamie B.; Welsh, Hartwell H. 2015. Evidence of counter-gradient growth in western pond turtles (Actinemys marmorata) across thermal gradients.
- Ashton, Donald; Bettaso, James; Welsh, Hart. 2015. Changes across a decade in size, growth, and body condition of western pond turtle (Actinemys marmorata) populations on free-flowing and regulated forks of the Trinity River in Northwest California..
- Welsh, Hartwell, Jr..; Waters, Jeff; Hodgson, Garth; Weller, Ted; Zabel, Cynthia. 2015. Responses of the woodland salamander Ensatina eschscholtzii to commercial thinning by helicopter in late-seral Douglas-fir forest in northwest California.
- Wheeler, Clara; Bettaso, James; Ashton, Donald; Welsh, Hartwell, Jr. 2014. Effects of water temperature on breeding phenology, growth, and metamorphosis of foothill yellow-legged frogs (Rana boylii): a case study of the regulated mainstem and unregulated tributaries of California's Trinity River.
- Wheeler, Clara; Bettaso, James; Ashton, Donald; Welsh, Hartwell, Jr. 2013. Effects of water temperature on breeding phenology, growth and timing of metamorphosis of foothill yellow-legged frogs (Rana boylii) on the mainstem and selected tributaries of California's Trinity River - 2004-2009..
- Wheeler, Clara A.; Welsh Jr., Hartwell H.; Ollivier, Lisa M. 2013. Reproductive biology of the Del Norte salamander (Plethodon elongatus)..
- Welsh, Hart, Jr..; Hodgson, Garth. 2013. Woodland salamanders as metrics of forest ecosystem recovery: a case study from California s redwoods.
- Welsh, Hart; Clark, W. H.; Franco-Vizcaíno, E.; Valdéz-Villavicencio, J. H. 2010. Herpetofauna associated with palm oases across the Californian-Sonoran transition in northern Baja California, Mexico.
- Welsh, H. H., Jr..; Hodgson, G. R. 2009. Stream amphibians as metrics of critical biological thresholds in the Pacific Northwest, U.S.A.: a response to Kroll et al..
- Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr..; Hodgson, Garth. 2008. Amphibians as metrics of critical biological thresholds in forested headwater streams of the Pacific Northwest, U.S.A.
- Pope, Karen L.; Garwood, Justin M.; Welsh Jr., Hartwell H.; Lawler, Sharon P. 2008. Evidence of indirect impacts of introduced trout on native amphibians via facilitation of a shared predator.
- Welsh, Hart; Pope, Karen L.; Wheeler, Clara A. 2008. Using multiple metrics to assess the effects of forest succession on population status: a comparative study of two terrestrial salamanders in the US Pacific Northwest.
- Cooperrider, Allen; Noss, Reed F.; Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr..; Carroll, Carlos; Zielinski, William; Olson, David; Nelson, S. Kim; Marcot, Bruce G. 2000. Terrestrial fauna of redwood forests.
- Reese, D.A.; Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr. 1997. Use of terrestrial habitat by western pond turtles (Clemmys marmorata): implications for management.
- Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr..; Wilson, R.A. 1995. Aneides ferreus (clouded salamander) reproduction.
- Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr..; Lind, A.J. 1995. Habitat correlates of the Del Norte salamander, Plethodon elongatus (Caudata: Plethodontidae) in northwestern California.
- Welsh, H.H., Jr. 1994. Bioregions: an ecological and evolutionary perspective and a proposal for California.
- Lind, A.J.; Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr. 1994. Ontogenetic changes in the foraging behavior and habitat use of the Oregon garter snake, Thamnophis atratus hydrophilus.
- Welsh, H.H., Jr. 1993. A hierarchical analysis of the niche relationships of four amphibians from forested habitats of northwestern California.
- Welsh, Hart, Jr..; Lind, A.J. 1991. The structure of the herpetofaunal assemblage in the Douglas-fir/hardwood forests of northwestern California and southwestern Oregon.
- Lind, Amy J.; Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr. 1990. Predation by Thamnophis couchii on Dicamptodon ensatus.
- Lind, Amy J.; Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr. 1990. Thamnophis ordinoides.
|Friends in Low Places: How Salamanders Help Mitigate the Impacts of Climate Change|
Woodland salamanders perform a vital ecological service in American forests by slowing the release of carbon in the form of leaf litter on the f ...
|Woodland Salamanders are Indicators of Redwood Forest Recovery|
Forest Service researchers have found that two common salamander species provide a way of measuring the recovery of previously harvested redwood ...