Garth R. Hodgson
Biological Sciencies Technician
1700 Bayview Drive
Contact Garth R. Hodgson
Garth works with Dr. Karen Pope studying the population dynamics of Cascades frogs in the Trinity Alps and the Lassen region of California with a primary focus on the amphibian disease, chytridiomycosis. Garth is involved in field experiments and statistical analysis to determine the effects of the disease on the frogs and to find ways to mitigate those effects. Garth is also involved in a research program working on meadow restoration projects to improve conditions for biodiversity, such as a beaver restoration study in Childs Meadow, just south of Mt. Lassen.
Visit the Pacific Southwest Research Station herpetology web page.
Previously Garth worked with Dr. Hartwell Welsh conducting research to document the ecological roles of forest amphibians and reptiles and their use as bio-indicators of ecosystem health. Study areas included the Mattole River basin, in the South Fork Trinity River, and the Mill Creek watershed near Crescent City, California. Other research focuses included a study on the effects of an altered flow regime on western pond turtles from a dam on the Trinity River, garter snake habitat selection on Hurdygurdy Creek, and the effects of stream sedimentation on aquatic amphibians in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. Garth has also worked with other researchers such as Dr. C. J. Ralph conducting marbled murrelet and songbird surveys on timber company lands, Rod Nakamoto on a summer steelhead temperature study in the New River, and a pine marten habitat use study using telemetry in the Lassen region. Prior to that Garth worked with hydrology researchers studying the effects of timber harvesting on hillslope processes and stream sedimentation in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park and in Caspar Creek near Fort Bragg, California.
- Humboldt State University, B.S. Forestry 1991
Featured Publications & Products
- Welsh, Hartwell, Jr..; Hodgson, Garth. 2010. Spatial relationships in a dendritic network: the herpetofaunal metacommunity of the Mattole River catchment of northwest California..
- Welsh, H. H. Jr.; G. R. Hodgson, J. J.; Duda, J. M. Emlen. 2010. Faunal assemblages and multi-scale habitat patterns in headwater tributaries of the South Fork Trinity River - an unregulated river embedded within a multiple-use landscape.
- Welsh, H. H., Jr..; Hodgson, G. R. 2009. Stream amphibians as metrics of critical biological thresholds in the Pacific Northwest, U.S.A.: a response to Kroll et al..
- Karraker, Nancy E.; Pilliod, David S.; Adams, Michael J.; Bull, Evelyn L.; Corn, Paul Stephen; Diller, Lowell V.; Dupuis, Linda A.; Hayes, Marc P.; Hossack, Blake R.; Hodgson, Garth R.; Hyde, Erin J.; Lohman, Kirk; Norman, Bradford R.; Ollivier, Lisa M.; Pearl, Christopher A.; Peterson, Charles R. 2006. Taxonomic variation in oviposition by tailed frogs (Aschaphus spp.)..
- Karraker, Nancy E.; Ollivier, Lisa M.; Hodgson, Garth R. 2005. Oviposition site of the southern torrent salamander (Rhyacotriton variegatus) in northwestern California.
- Welsh Jr., Hartwell H.; Hodgson, Garth R.; Lind, Amy J. 2005. Ecogeography of the herpetofauna of a nothern California watershed: linking species patterns to landscape processes.
- Welsh Jr, Hartwell H; Hodgson, Garth R.; Karraker, Nancy E. 2005. Influences of the vegetation mosaic on riparian and stream environments in a mixed forest-grassland landscape in "Mediterranean" northwestern California.
- Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr..; Hodgson, Garth R.; Harvey, Bret C.; Roche, Maureen F. 2001. Distribution of juvenile coho salmon in relation to water temperatures in tributaries of the Mattole River, California.
- Welsh Jr., Hartwell H.; Cummings, Adam K.; Hodgson, Garth R. 2017. Stream amphibians as metrics of ecosystem stress: a case study from California s redwoods revisited.
- Welsh, Hartwell, Jr..; Waters, Jeff; Hodgson, Garth; Weller, Ted; Zabel, Cynthia. 2015. Responses of the woodland salamander Ensatina eschscholtzii to commercial thinning by helicopter in late-seral Douglas-fir forest in northwest California.
- Welsh, Hart, Jr..; Hodgson, Garth. 2013. Woodland salamanders as metrics of forest ecosystem recovery: a case study from California s redwoods.
- McCarthy, Sarah G.; Duda, Jeffrey J.; Emlen, John M.; Hodgson, Garth R.; Beauchamp, David A. 2009. Linking habitat quality with trophic performance of steelhead along forest gradients in the South Fork Trinity River watershed, California.
- Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr..; Hodgson, Garth. 2008. Amphibians as metrics of critical biological thresholds in forested headwater streams of the Pacific Northwest, U.S.A.
- Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr..; Hodgson, G.R. 1997. A hierarchical strategy for sampling herpetofaunal assemblages along small streams in the western U.S., with an example from Northern California.