Res. Landscape Planner
Phone: 402-437-5178 x4018
Contact Gary Bentrup
My research focuses on four interrelated areas: 1) the application of conservation buffers to provide multiple landscape services; 2) development and evaluation of evidence-based tools for planning and designing multifunctional agricultural landscapes; 3) agroforestry's potential role in adapting to climate change and extreme weather events; and 4) theory and principles for effective science delivery.
Agroforestry, agricultural land use, multifunctional landscapes, science delivery, conservation buffers, landscape planning and design
Why This Research is Important
Over 50% percent of land use in the U.S. is dedicated to some form of agricultural production. How we manage farms and ranches plays a critical role in determining the ecosystem services we can expect from these working landscapes. One key option in the toolbox is agroforestry—the intentional combination of agriculture and forestry to create an integrated and sustainable land-use system. Research lays the foundation for creating agroforestry systems that provide multiple benefits for landowners and society.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Nebraska, Department of Agronomy and Horticulture
2007 - Current
- Research Landscape Planner, USDA National Agroforestry Center
1999 - Current
- Landscape Architect/Wetland Specialist, Willow Creek Ecology, Mendon, UT
1997 - 1999
- Landscape Architect/Wetland Specialist, Aquatic and Wetland Consultants, Boulder, CO.
1994 - 1996
- American Society of Landscape Architects, Member (2009 - Current)
- Soil and Water Conservation Society, Member (2002 - Current)
- International Association for Landscape Ecology, Member (2000 - Current)
Awards & Recognition
- USFS R&D Deputy Chief's Science Delivery Award, 2012
For outstanding initiative and creativity in science delivery
- Southern Research Station Director's Award - Technology Transfer, 2009
For outstanding initiative and creativity in developing a field book of science-based guidelines for conservation buffer planning and design.
- USDA Two Chiefs' Partnership Award, 2006
For collaborative work on developing the CanVis Visual Simulation Kit
- The Wildlife Society - Outstanding Book Award, 2001
For co-authorship of the publication entitled "Conservation Corridor Planning at the Landscape Level: Managing for Wildlife Habitat".
Featured Publications & Products
- Bentrup, Gary ; Hopwood, Jennifer ; Adamson, Nancy Lee; Vaughan, Mace . 2019. Temperate Agroforestry Systems and Insect Pollinators: A Review.
- Joyce, Linda A.; Bentrup, Gary ; Cheng, Antony S.; Kolb, Peter ; Schoeneberger, Michele ; Derner, Justin . 2018. Native and agricultural forests at risk to a changing climate in the Northern Plains.
- Schoeneberger, Michele M.; Bentrup, Gary; Patel-Weynand, Toral, eds. 2017. Agroforestry: Enhancing resiliency in U.S. agricultural landscapes under changing conditions.
- Bentrup, Gary ; Cernusca, Ina ; Gold, Michael . 2018. Supporting U.S. agricultural landscapes under changing conditions with agroforestry: An annotated bibliography.
- Opddam, Paul; Nassauer, Joan Iverson; Wang, Zhifang; Albert, Christian; Bentrup, Gary; Castella, Jean-Christophe; McAlpine, Clive; Liu, Jianguo; Sheppard, Stephen; Swaffield, Simon. 2013. Science for action at the local landscape scale.
- Schoeneberger, M. ; Bentrup, G. ; de Gooijer, H. ; Soolanayakanahally, R. ; Sauer, T. ; Brandle, J. ; Zhou, X. ; Current, D. . 2012. Branching out: Agroforestry as a climate change mitigation and adaptation tool for agriculture.
- Dosskey, Michael G.; Bentrup, Gary; Schoeneberger, Michele. 2012. A Role for Agroforestry in Forest Restoration in the Lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley.
- Dosskey, Mike; Wells, Gary; Bentrup, Gary; Wallace, Doug. 2012. Enhancing ecosystem services: Designing for multifunctionality.
- Bentrup, Gary; Kellerman, Todd. 2004. Where should buffers go modeling riparian habitat connectivity in northeast Kansas.
- Lovell, Sarah T.; Bentrup, Gary ; Stanek, Erik . 2022. Agroforestry at the Landscape Level.
- Smith, Matthew M.; Bentrup, Gary ; Kellerman, Todd ; MacFarland, Katherine ; Straight, Richard ; Ameyaw, Lord ; Stein, Susan . 2022. Silvopasture in the USA: A systematic review of natural resource professional and producer-reported benefits, challenges, and management activities.
- Bentrup, Gary ; Hopwood, Jennifer ; Adamson, Nancy Lee; Powers, Rae ; Vaughan, Mace . 2021. The Role of Temperate Agroforestry Practices in Supporting Pollinators.
- Smith, Matthew; Bentrup, Gary; Kellerman, Todd; MacFarland, Katherine ; Straight, Richard; Ameyaw, Lord. 2021. Windbreaks in the United States: A systematic review of producer-reported benefits, challenges, management activities and drivers of adoption.
- Patel-Weynand, Toral; Bentrup, Gary; Schoeneberger, Michele M. 2017. Agroforestry: Enhancing resiliency in U.S. agricultural landscapes under changing conditions - executive summary.
- Bentrup, Gary; Schoeneberger, Michele. 2017. Appendix A: Regional summaries: Great Plains.
- Neary, Dan; Bentrup, Gary; Schoeneberger, Michele. 2017. Appendix A: Regional summaries: Southwest.
- Bentrup, Gary; Dosskey, Michael G. 2017. Appendix B: Evaluation of agroforestry for protecting coldwater fish habitat.
- Dosskey, Michael G.; Moser, W. Keith; Bentrup, Gary; Treiman, Thomas B. 2017. Appendix B: Risk-based framework for evaluating adaptation and mitigation strategies.
- Dosskey, Michael G.; Bell, Andrew C.; Bentrup, Gary. 2017. Appendix B: Suitable tree species under a changing climate.
- Bentrup, Gary; Schoeneberger, Michele; Patel-Weynand, Toral; Jose, Shibu; Haan Karel, Tara. 2017. Chapter 1: Introduction.
- Dosskey, Michael G.; Brandle, Jim; Bentrup, Gary. 2017. Chapter 2: Reducing threats and enhancing resiliency.
- Moser, W. Keith; Bentrup, Gary. 2017. Chapter 6: Agroforestry resources.
- Patel-Weynand, Toral; Bentrup, Gary; Schoeneberger, Michele; Haan Karel, Tara; Nair, PKR. 2017. Chapter 9: Challenges and opportunities.
- Bentrup, Gary. 2007. Buffer$--An Economic Analysis Tool.
- Bentrup, Gary; Wells, Gary. 2005. Picture this.
- Bentrup, Gary; Schoeneberger, Michele; Dosskey, Mike; Wells, Gary; Kellerman, Todd. 2005. Tool time: melding watershed and site goals on private lands.
- Bentrup, Gary. 2005. Visualizing agroforestry alternatives or pixel this!.
- Bentrup, Gary; Leininger, Tim. 2002. Agroforestry: mapping the way with GIS.
- Bentrup, Gary; Schoeneberger, Michele; Josiah, Scott; Francis, Charles. 2001. Ecobelts: reconnecting agriculture and communities - case studies.
- Bentrup, Gary. 2001. Evaluation of a Collaborative Model: A Case Study Analysis of Watershed Planning in the Intermountain West.
|A Win-Win on Agricultural Lands: Creating Wildlife Habitat Through Agroforestry|
Over 50 percent of land use in the U.S. is dedicated to agricultural production. Farms and ranches are therefore a critical piece in the conserv ...
|Agroforestry for Sustainable Food Production and Resilient Landscapes|
The USDA National Agroforestry Center fostered exchange of research, data, and practitioner experiences through its co-organization of the 16th ...
|Assessing Agroforestry’s Role in Mitigating and Adapting to Climate Change|
The first-ever scientific assessment on agroforestry as a mechanism for improving the resiliency and productivity of farm and ranch lands.
|Assessing Agroforestry’s Role in Supporting Insect Pollinators|
First-ever systematic review of agroforestry’s contribution to enhancing pollinator conservation and pollination services on farms and ranches ...
Buffer Guidelines: This field guidebook was promotes multifunctional landscape management through a concise yet comprehensive and easy-to-unders ...
|Cornucopia in the Cities: Growing Urban Agriculture with Trees|
Advances in research show how incorporating trees in urban landscapes contributes to diverse sustainable systems for growing food in cities that ...
|New Assessment Sheds Light on Building Resilient Landscapes from Forests to Farms|
Projected changes in climate patterns and weather variability pose substantial hazards for U.S. agricultural systems and the resource base.
|Non-Timber Forest Product Calculator: A Tool for Merging Conservation and Production|
The new non-timber forest product calculator allows landowners to estimate the income potential of harvesting and selling non-timber forest prod ...
|Outreaching Agroforestry in a Changing Climate |
USDA National Agroforestry Center (NAC) staff developed new resources to support state, federal, extension, non-profit and private sector staff ...