60 Nowelo Street
Phone: 808-933-8121 x117
Contact Flint Hughes
Impacts of the fast-growing, N-fixing tree, Falcataria moluccana, on the function and structure of early successional lowland wet forests of Hawaii. Results indicate that Falcataria increases inputs of N and P via litterfall, increases rates of decomposition, and increases soil N and P availability relative to uninvaded, native-dominated stands. Such functional changes coincides with substantial alteration of forest structure as well; Falcataria hastens the loss of dominant native species and facilitates the invasion of other non-native species. Such N-fixing trees have the potential to alter nutrient status and cycling of streams and coastal zones in Hawaii and elsewhere in the Pacific. In collaboration with UH and Hawaii Department of Health scientists, we are conducting NOAA-funded research to determine how Falcataria alters stream chemistry and biology in watersheds of East Hawai'i.
Effects Falcataria on densities of the invasive coqui frog. Invasive species also may have impacts across trophic levels. With UHH colleagues we are conducting NSF-funded research on the effects of increased resource availability from Falcataria trees on densities and rates of spread of the coqui frog.
Use of remote sensing to investigate impacts of invasive species on ecosystem processes.We are collaborating with scientists from the Carnegie Institute of Washington and Stanford University to use state-of-the-art remote-sensing tools to quantify ecosystem characteristics (e.g., canopy N and P, forest structure, total aboveground water) and to evaluate the impacts of invasive species at scales from forests to landscapes and regions,
Composition and structure of native lowland wet forests. With UH-PIPES interns we are studying the few remaining stands of native-dominated lowland wet forests in Hawaii to determine how they vary with regard to substrate age and type and how susceptible they are to invasion. Other studies include impacts of woody plant encroachment on C and N storage and cycling in temperate savannas of North Texas, and quantification of aboveground and soil C pools in Costa Rican forests along gradients of temperature, precipitation, and land use.
Ecosystem-scale impacts of invasive species and land cover/land use change, fire ecology,carbon and nutrient storage and cycling, primary and secondary forest succession.
- Department of Forest Science, Oregon State University, Ph.D. 1997
- Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, M.S. 1992
- Stanford University, B.A. Department of Human Biology 1991
- Ecological Society of America, Member
- State of Hawaii's Natural Area Reserve Commission, Member
Featured Publications & Products
- Asner, Gregory P.; Hughes, R. Flint; Mascaro, Joseph; Uowolo, Amanda L.; Knapp, David E.; Jacobson, James; Kennedy-Bowdoin, Ty; Clark, John K . 2011. High-resolution carbon mapping on the million-hectare Island of Hawaii.
- Asner, G. P.; Powell, George V. N.; Mascaro, Joseph; Knapp, David E.; Clark, John K.; Jacobson, James; Kennedy-Bowdoin, Ty; Balaji, Aravindh; Paez-Acosta, Guayana; Victoria, Eloy; Secada, Laura; Valqui, Michael; Hughes, R. Flint. 2010. High-resolution forest carbon stocks and emissions in the Amazon.
- Asner, G.P.; Hughes, R.F.; Varga, T.A.; Knapp, D.E.; Kennedy-Bowdoin, T. 2009. Environmental and biotic controls over aboveground biomass throughout a tropical rainforest.
- Asner, Gregory ; Martin, Roberta ; Keith, Lisa ; Heller, Wade ; Hughes, Marc ; Vaughn, Nicholas ; Hughes, R. Flint; Balzotti, Christopher . 2018. A spectral mapping signature for the Rapid Ohia Death (ROD) pathogen in Hawaiian forests.
- Vaughn, Nicholas; Asner, Gregory; Brodrick, Philip; Martin, Roberta; Heckler, Joseph; Knapp, David; Hughes, R. Flint. 2018. An approach for high-resolution mapping of Hawaiian Metrosideros forest mortality using laser-guided imaging spectroscopy.
- Hughes, R. Flint; Asner, Gregory P.; Baldwin, James A.; Mascaro, Joseph ; Bufil, Lori K.K.; Knapp, David E. 2018. Estimating aboveground carbon density across forest landscapes of Hawaii: Combining FIA plot-derived estimates and airborne LiDAR.
- Hall, Sharon J.; Huber, David P.; Hughes, R. Flint. 2018. Invasion of Hawaiian rainforests by an introduced amphibian predator and N2-fixing tree increases soil N2O emissions.
- Selmants, Paul C.; Giardina, Christian P.; Jacobi, James D.; Fortini, Lucas B.; Hughes, R. Flint; Hawbaker, Todd J.; MacKenzie, Richard A.; Sleeter, Benjamin M.; Zhu, Zhiliang. 2017. Executive Summary Baseline and projected future carbon storage and carbon fluxes in ecosystems of Hawai i.
- Hughes, R. Flint; Asner, Gregory P.; Litton, Creighton M.; Selmants, Paul C.; Hawbaker, Todd J.; Jacobi, James D.; Giardina, Christian P.; Sleeter, Benjamin M. 2017. Influence of invasive species on carbon storage in Hawai i's ecosystems.
- Barbosa, Jomar M.; Asner, Gregory P.; Hughes, R. Flint; Johnson, M. Tracy. 2017. Landscape-scale GPP and carbon density inform patterns and impacts of an invasive tree across wet forests of Hawaii.
- Sleeter, Benjamin M.; Liu, Jinxun; Daniel, Colin J.; Hawbaker, Todd J.; Wilson, Tamara S.; Fortini, Lucas B.; Jacobi, James D.; Selmants, Paul C.; Giardina, Christian P.; Litton, Creighton M.; Hughes, R. Flint. 2017. Projected future carbon storage and carbon fluxes in terrestrial ecosystems of Hawai i from changes in climate, land use, and disturbance.
- Hawbaker, Todd J.; Trauernicht, Clay; Howard, Stephen M.; Litton, Creighton M.; Giardina, Christian P.; Jacobi, James D.; Fortini, Lucas B.; Hughes, R. Flint; Selmants, Paul C.; Zhu, Zhiliang. 2017. Wildland fires and greenhouse gas emissions in Hawai i.
- Mortenson, Leif A.; Hughes, R. Flint ; Friday, James B.; Keith, Lisa M.; Barbosa, Jomar M.; Friday, Nathanael J.; Liu, Zhanfeng; Sowards, Travis G. 2016. Assessing spatial distribution, stand impacts and rate of Ceratocystis fimbriata induced hi a (Metrosideros polymorpha) mortality in a tropical wet forest, Hawai i Island, USA.
- Barbosa, Jomar; Asner, Gregory; Martin, Roberta; Baldeck, Claire; Hughes, Flint; Johnson, Tracy. 2016. Determining subcanopy Psidium cattleianum invasion in Hawaiian forests using imaging spectroscopy.
- Loope, L. ; Hughes, F. ; Keith, L. ; Harrington, T. ; Hauff, R. ; Friday, J.B. ; Ewing, C. ; Bennett, G. ; Cannon, P. ; Atkinson, C. ; Martin, C. ; Melzer, M. . 2016. Guidance document for Rapid Ohia Death: background for the 2017-2019 ROD Strategic Response Plan.
- Nelson-Kaula, Kehauwealani K.; Ostertag, Rebecca; Hughes, R. Flint; Dudley, Bruce D. 2016. Nutrient and organic matter inputs to Hawaiian anchialine ponds: influences of N-fixing and non-N-fixing trees.
- Asner, Gregory P.; Sousan, Sinan; Knapp, David E.; Selmants, Paul C.; Martin, Roberta E.; Hughes, R. Flint; Giardina, Christian P. 2016. Rapid forest carbon assessments of oceanic islands: a case study of the Hawaiian archipelago.
- Keith, L. M.; Hughes, R. F.; Sugiyama, L. S.; Heller, W. P.; Bushe, B. C.; Friday, J. B. 2015. First Report of Ceratocystis Wilt on hi a (Metrosideros polymorpha).
- Hughes, R.F.; Asner, G.P.; Mascaro, J.; Uowolo, A; Baldwin, J. 2014. Carbon storage landscapes of lowland Hawaii: The role of native and invasive species through space and time.
- Dudley, Bruce D.; Hughes, Flint; Ostertag, Rebecca. 2014. Groundwater availability mediates the ecosystem effects of an invasion of Prosopis pallida.
- Dudley, B. D.; MacKenzie, Richard; Sakihara, T. S.; Dulaiova, H.; Waters, C. A.; Hughes, Flint; Ostertag, R. 2014. Influences of N-fixing and non-N-fixing vegetation and invasive fish on water chemistry of Hawaiian anchialine ponds.
- Mascaro, J.; Litton, C.; Hughes, R.H.; Uowolo, A.; Schnitzer, S. 2014. Is logarithmic transformation necessary in allometry Ten, one-hundred, one-thousand-times yes.
- Wiegner, Tracy N.; Hughes, Flint; Shizuma, Lisa M.; Bishaw, David K.; Manuel, Mark E. 2013. Impacts of an invasive N2-fixing tree on Hawaiian stream water quality.
- Loope, Lloyd L.; Hughes, R. Flint; Meyer, Jean-Yves . 2013. Plant invasions in protected areas of tropical Pacific islands, with special reference to Hawaii.
- Hughes, Flint; Johnson, Tracy; Uowolo, Amanda. 2013. The invasive alien tree Falcataria moluccana: its impacts and management.
- Mascaro, Joseph; Hughes, Flint; Schnitzer, Stefan A. 2012. Novel forests maintain ecosystem processes after the decline of native tree species.
- Hughes, R. Flint; Uowolo, Amanda L.; Togia, Tavita P. 2012. Recovery of native forest after removal of an invasive tree, Falcataria moluccana, in American Samoa.
- D’Antonio, Carla M.; Hughes, Flint; Tunison, J. T. 2011. Long term impacts of invasive grasses and subsequent fire in seasonally dry Hawaiian woodlands.
- Mascaro, Joseph; undefined, undefined; Hughes, Flint; Uowolo, Amanda; Schnitzer, Stefan A. 2011. Minimizing bias in biomass allometry: Model selection and log transformation of data.
- Kauffman, J.B.; Hughes, R.F.; Heider, C. 2009. Carbon pool and biomass dynamics associated with deforestation, land use, and agricultural abandonment in the neotropics.
- LaRosa, Anne Marie; Tunison, J. Timothy; Ainsworth, Alison; Kauffman, J. Boone; Hughes, R. Flint. 2008. Chapter 11: Fire and nonnative invasive plants in the Hawaiian Islands bioregion.
- Asner, Gegory P.; Hughes, R. Flint; Vitousek, Peter M.; Knapp, David E.; Kennedy-Bowdoin, Ty; Boardman, Joseph; Martin, Roberta E.; Eastwood, Michael; Green, Robert O. 2008. Invasive plants transform the three-dimensional structure of rain forests.
- Asner, Gregory P.; Knapp, David E.; Kennedy-Bodoin, Ty; Jones, Matthew O.; Martin, Roberta E.; Boardman, Joseph; Hughes, Flint. 2008. Invasive species detection in Hawaiian rainforests using airborne imaging spectroscopy and LiDAR.
- Mascaro, Joseph; Becklund, Kristen K.; Hughes, R. Flint; Schnitzer, Stefan A. 2008. Limited native plant regeneration in novel, exotic-dominated forests on Hawaii.
- Zimmerman, Naupaka; Hughes, Flint 1; Hart, Patrick; Kalei Chang, Heather; Perez, David; Kaipoalohaakala Like, Ryan; Ostertag, Rebecca. 2008. Patterns of primary succession of native and introduced plants in lowland wet forests in eastern Hawaii.
- Asner, Gregory P.; Jones, Matthew O.; Martin, Roberta E.; Knapp, David E.; Hughes, R. Flint. 2008. Remote sensing of native and invasive species in Hawaiian forests.
- Liua, Shuguang; Anderson, Pamela; Zhoud, Guoyi; Kauffman, Boone; Hughes, Flint; Schimel, David; Watson, Vicente; Tosi, Joseph. 2008. Resolving model parameter values from carbon and nitrogen stock measurements in a wide range of tropical mature forests using nonlinear inversion and regression trees.
- Carlson, Kimberly M.; Asner, Gregory P.; Hughes, R. Flint; Ostertag, Rebecca; Martin, Roberta E. 2007. Hyperspectral remote sensing of canopy biodiversity in Hawaiian lowland rainforests.
- Hughes, R. Flint; Archer, Seeven R.; Asner, Gegory P.; Wessman, Carol A.; McMurtry, Chad; Nelson, Jim; Ansley, R. James. 2006. Changes in aboveground primary production and carbon and nitrogen pools accompanying woody plant encroachment in a temperate savanna.
- Allison, Steven D.; Nielsen, Caroline; Hughes, R. Flint. 2006. Elevated enzyme activities in soils under the invasive nitrogen-fixing tree Falcataria moluccana.
- Hughes, R. Flint; Uowolo, Amanda. 2006. Impacts of Falcataria moluccana invasion on decomposition in Hawaiian lowland wet forests: The importance of stand-level controls.
- Denslow, Julie S.; Uowolo, Amanda L.; Hughes, R. Flint. 2006. Limitations to seedling establishment in a mesic Hawaiian forest.
- Hughes, R. Flint; Denslow, Julie S. 2005. Invasion by a N2-fixing tree alters function and structure in wet lowland forests of Hawaii.
- Denslow, Julie S.; Hughes, R. Flint. 2004. Exotic plants as ecosystem dominants.
|Large-Scale High-Resolution Forest Carbon Mapping Approach is Cost-Effective|
Large-scale biomass mapping is essential to support the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) program to Reduce Emissio ...
|Scientists Assess Carbon Storage in Native Versus Non-native Hawaiian Forests|
Forest Service scientists used new and novel techniques based on Light Detection and Ranging (LIDAR)to inventory aboveground carbon in native an ...
|Understanding Patterns and Impacts of Rapid ‘?hi?a Death on Native Forests of Hawai’i|
Rapid ‘?hi?a Death is a plant disease that has killed large numbers of mature ??hi?a lehua trees on Hawai’i Island during the last several y ...