Eric M. White
Research Social Scientist
3625 93rd Ave. SW
Contact Eric M. White
My current research is focused on social and economic outcomes from forest collaboration and accelerated restoration, recreation use on public lands and the economic effects on local communities, and the ecological and social outcomes from collaborative natural resource management across landscapes of public and private ownership.
I am intereseted in research that contributes to better understanding of 1) how resource management, including collaborative efforts, influences the supply of ecosystem goods and services from landscapes, 2) how people and industries use ecosystem goods and services, and 3) how that use affects the well-being of human communities and individuals.
- Michigan State University, Ph.D. Natural Resource Policy and Economics
- Southern Illinois University, M.S. Forestry
- Southern Illinois University, B.S. Forestry
- Assistant Professor (Senior Research), College of Forestry, Oregon State University
2011 - 2015
- Research Associate, College of Forestry, Oregon State University
2009 - 2010
- Research Economist (Post-Doc), Pacific Northwest Research Station, USDA Forest Service
2005 - 2009
Featured Publications & Products
- Spies, Thomas A.; White, Eric M.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Fisher, A. Paige; Ager, Alan; Bailey, John; Bolte, John; Koch, Jennifer; Platt, Emily; Olsen, Christine S.; Jacobs, Derric; Shindler, Bruce; Steen-Adams, Michelle M.; Hammer, Roger. 2014. Examining fire-prone forest landscapes as coupled human and natural systems.
- White, Eric M.; Goodding, Darren B.; Stynes, Daniel J. 2013. Estimation of national forest visitor spending averages from National Visitor Use Monitoring: round 2.
- Rosenberger, Randall S.; Bell, Lauren A.; Champ, Patricia A.; White, Eric M. 2013. Estimating the economic value of recreation losses in Rocky Mountain National Park due to a mountain pine beetle outbreak.
- Zarnoch, S.J.; White, E.M.; English, D.B.K.; Kocis, Susan M.; Arnold, Ross. 2011. The National Visitor Use Monitoring methodology and final results for round 1.
- Charnley, Susan ; Jaworski, Delilah ; Huber-Stearns, Heidi ; White, Eric M.; Grinspoon, Elisabeth ; McLain, Rebecca J.; Cerveny, Lee . 2018. Chapter 10: Environmental justice, low-income and minority populations, and forest management in the northwest forest plan area.
- Charnley, Susan ; Kline, Jeffrey D.; White, Eric M.; Abrams, Jesse ; McLain, Rebecca J.; Moseley, Cassandra ; Huber-Stearns, Heidi . 2018. Chapter 8: Socioeconomic well-being and forest management in northwest forest plan- area communities.
- Cerveny, Lee K.; Davis, Emily Jane; McLain, Rebecca ; Ryan, Clare M.; Whitall, Debra R.; White, Eric M. 2018. Chapter 9: Understanding our changing public values, resource uses, and engagement processes and practices.
- Davis, Emily J.; Abrams, Jesse; White, Eric M.; Moseley, Cassandra. 2018. Current challenges and realities for forest-based businesses adjacent to public lands in the United States.
- Kirkland, John ; White, Eric ; Kline, Jeffrey . 2018. How much fun Evaluating economic implications of recreation in national forests.
- Van Berkel, Derek B.; Rayfield, Bronwyn; Martinuzzi, Sebastián; Lechowicz, Martin J.; White, Eric; Bell, Kathleen P.; Colocousis, Chris R.; Kovacs, Kent F.; Morzillo, Anita T.; Munroe, Darla K.; Parmentier, Benoit; Radeloff, Volker C.; McGill, Brian J. 2018. Recognizing the sparsely settled forest : Multi-decade socioecological change dynamics and community exemplars.
- Fisher, David M.; Wood, Spencer A.; White, Eric M.; Blahna, Dale J.; Lange, Sarah ; Weinberg, Alex ; Tomco, Michael ; Lia, Emilia . 2018. Recreational use in dispersed public lands measured using social media data and on-site counts.
- Davis, Emily Jane; White, Eric M.; Cerveny, Lee K.; Seesholtz, David; Nuss, Meagan L.; Ulrich, Donald R. 2017. Comparison of USDA Forest Service and stakeholder motivations and experiences in collaborative federal forest governance in the Western United States.
- Charnley, Susan; Spies, Thomas A.; Barros, Ana M. G.; White, Eric M.; Olsen, Keith A. 2017. Diversity in forest management to reduce wildfire losses: implications for resilience.
- Oliver, Marie; Charnley, Susan; Spies, Thomas; Kline, Jeff; White, Eric. 2017. Forests, people, fire: Integrating the sciences to build capacity for an All Lands approach to forest restoration.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; White, Eric M.; Fischer, A Paige; Steen-Adams, Michelle M.; Charnley, Susan; Olsen, Christine S.; Spies, Thomas A.; Bailey, John D. 2017. Integrating social science into empirical models of coupled human and natural systems.
- Hjerpe, Evan; Holmes, Tom; White, Eric. 2017. National and community market contributions of Wilderness.
- Rosenberger, Randall S.; White, Eric M.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Cvitanovich, Claire. 2017. Recreation economic values for estimating outdoor recreation economic benefits from the National Forest System.
- Barros, Ana M. G.; Ager, Alan A.; Day, Michelle A.; Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Spies, Thomas A.; White, Eric; Pabst, Robert J.; Olsen, Keith A.; Platt, Emily; Bailey, John D.; Bolte, John P. 2017. Spatiotemporal dynamics of simulated wildfire, forest management, and forest succession in central Oregon, USA.
- White, Eric M. 2017. Spending patterns of outdoor recreation visitors to national forests.
- Spies, Thomas A.; White, Eric; Ager, Alan; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Bolte, John P.; Platt, Emily K.; Olsen, Keith A.; Pabst, Robert J.; Barros, Ana M. G.; Bailey, John D.; Charnley, Susan; Morzillo, Anita T.; Koch, Jennifer; Steen-Adams, Michelle M.; Singleton, Peter H.; Sulzman, James; Schwartz, Cynthia; Csuti, Blair. 2017. Using an agent-based model to examine forest management outcomes in a fire-prone landscape in Oregon, USA.
- White, Eric; Bowker, J.M.; Askew, Ashley E.; Langner, Linda L.; Arnold, J. Ross; English, Donald B.K. 2016. Federal outdoor recreation trends: effects on economic opportunities.
- Fischer, A Paige; Spies, Thomas A; Steelman, Toddi A; Moseley, Cassandra; Johnson, Bart R; Bailey, John D; Ager, Alan A; Bourgeron, Patrick; Charnley, Susan; Collins, Brandon M; Kline, Jeff; Leahy, Jessica E; Littell, Jeremy S; Millington, James DA; Nielsen-Pincus, Max; Olsen, Christine S; Paveglio, Travis B; Roos, Christopher I; Steen-Adams, Michelle M; Stevens, Forrest R; Vukomanovic, Jelena; White, Eric; Bowman, David MJS. 2016. Wildfire risk as a socioecological pathology.
- Fischer, Paige; Korejwa, Adam; Koch, Jennifer; Spies, Thomas; Olsen, Christine; White, Eric; Jacobs, Derric. 2013. Using the forest, people, fire agent-based social network model to investigate interactions in social-ecological systems.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; Rosenberger, Randall S.; White, Eric M. 2011. A national assessment of physical activity on US national forests.
- Adams, Darius M.; Alig, Ralph; Latta, Greg; White, Eric M. 2011. Regional impacts of a program for private forest carbon offset sales.
- Fay, Ginny; Colt, Steve; White, Eric M. 2010. Data survey and sampling procedures to quantify recreation use of national forests in Alaska.
- Kline, Jeffrey D.; White, Eric M. 2010. Land use planning ballot initiatives in the Pacific Northwest.
- White, Eric M. 2010. Woody biomass for bioenergy and biofuels in the United States -- a briefing paper.
- White, Eric M.; Alig, Ralph J.; Mahal, Lisa G.; Theobald, David M. 2009. A sensitivity analysis of "Forests on the Edge: Housing Development on America's Private Forests.".
- White, Eric M.; Morzillo, Anita T.; Alig, Ralph J. 2009. Past and projected rural land conversion in the US at state, regional, and national levels.
- White, Eric M.; Stynes, Daniel I. 2008. National forest visitor spending averages and the influence of trip-type and recreation activity..
- White, Eric M.; Wilson, Joshua B. 2008. National visitor use monitoring implementation in Alaska..
- White, E.M.; Leefers, L.A. 2007. Influence of natural amenities on residential property values in a rural setting..
- White, Eric M.; Alig, Ralph J. 2007. National forests on the edge: development pressures on America's National Forest system..
- Stynes, Daniel J.; White, Eric M. 2006. Reflections on measuring recreation and travel spending..
- White, Eric M.; Carver, Andrew D. 2003. Diversifying farm income through woodlot management: characteristics of farmer-owned NIPF land in Illinois.
Citations of non US Forest Service Publications
Haim, D., E.M. White, and R.J. Alig. (in press) Agriculture afforestation for carbon sequestration under carbon markets in the United States: Leakage behavior from regional allowance programs. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy
Haim, D., D. Adams, and E.M. White. (in press). Determinants of demand for wood products markets in the U.S. construction sector: an econometric analysis of a system of demand equations. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 44(10): 1216-1227.
T.A. Spies, E.M. White, J.D. Kline, A.P. Fisher, A. Ager, J. Bolte, J. Koch, E.K. Platt, C. Olsen, D.B. Jacobs, B. Shindler, M. Steen-Adams, and R. Hammer. (2014). Examining fire-prone forest landscapes as coupled human and natural systems. Ecology and Society 19(3): 9. http://dx.doi.org/10.5751/ES-06584-190309
Haim, D., E.M. White, and R.J. Alig. (2014). Permanence of agriculture afforestation for carbon sequestration under stylized carbon markets in the United States. Forest Policy and Economics 41: 12-21.
Rosenberger, R., L. Bell, P. Champ, and E.M. White. (2013). Using benefit transfer to estimate the economic value of recreation losses in Rocky Mountain National Park due to mountain pine beetle outbreak. Western Economics Forum. 12(1): 31-39.
White, E.M., G. Latta, R. Alig, K. Skog, and D.M. Adams. (2013). Biomass production from the U.S. Forest and Agriculture sectors in support of a renewable electricity standard. Energy Policy. 58: 64-74.
Fischer, A.P., A. Korejwa, J. Koch., T. Spies, C. Olsen, E.M. White, and D. Jacobs. (2012). Using the Forest, People, Fire agent-based social network model to investigate interactions in social-ecological systems. Practicing Anthropology. 35(1): 8-13
Adams, D.M., R.J. Alig, G.S. Latta, and E.M. White (2011). Regional impacts of a program for forest carbon offset sales. Journal of Forestry. 109(8): 444-453.
Kline, J.D., R.S. Rosenberger, and E.M. White (2011). A national assessment of physical activity on US national forests. Journal of Forestry 109(6): 343 – 353.
Latta, G.S., D.M. Adams, R.J. Alig, and E.M. White (2011). Simulated effects of mandatory versus voluntary forest carbon offset markets in the United States. Journal of Forest Economics. 17(2): 127 –141.
White, E.M., R.J. Alig, and S.M. Stein. (2010). Socio-economic changes and forestland development: Commonalities and distinctions between the eastern and western USA. Journal of Forestry 108(7): 329 – 337.
White, E.M., A.T. Morzillo, and R.J. Alig. (2009). Past and projected rural land conversion in the US at state, regional, and national levels. Landscape and Urban Planning 89(2009): 37 – 48.
White, E.M. and D.J. Stynes. (2008). National forest visitor spending averages and the influence of trip-type and recreation activity. Journal of Forestry 116(1): 17 – 24.
|Challenges in coordinating wildfire risk reduction among diverse forest owners|
Research across a multi-owner landscape in central Oregon found that in general, Forest Service management was likely to produce forest conditio ...
|Economic Benefits Associated with Federal Forest Restoration|
Federal forest restoration and forest collaboration support increased economic activity in eastern Oregon. The Oregon Department of Forestry use ...
|Revealing the economic benefits of outdoor recreation in national forests|
Forest Service research provides updated data and technical guidance for computing the economic benefits of recreation at national, regional, an ...
|The Effects of Landscape Restoration Strategies on Fire and Ecosystem Services Vary with Rate of Treatment in a Fire-prone Multi-ownership Region|
The results and the landscape modeling tool are being used by the Deschutes National Forest and the Deschutes Collaborative Forest Landscape Res ...
|Wilderness areas contribute to economic health of rural communities|
Forest Service scientists Tom Holmes and Eric White collaborated with Evan Hjerpe of the Conservation Economics Institute to estimate the econom ...