Eini C. Lowell
Research Forest Products Technologist
620 SW Main, Suite 400
Contact Eini C. Lowell
My work at the PNW Research Station includes studies on deterioration and uses of dead and dying trees, use of hardwoods, and opportunities tailored to community needs for using small-diameter trees and other woody biomass. I am currently involved in identifying ways to use by-products of forest restoration and fuels reduction treatments to benefit communities and to aid reducing the cost of these management activities. This includes research on value-added product opportunities including extraction of chemicals and production of renewable fuels from wood.
My research interests include:
- effects of forest management on wood quality and forest products
- rural community resiliency as it relates to forest products, economic development, and forest health
- impacts of natural disturbances on the forest resource
Prior to joining the PNW Station, my research included biomass assessments for wood energy plants in New England and wood quality of Douglas-fir as affected by silvicultural activities.
Why This Research is Important
This research contributes to planning and decision-making processes through delivery of science-based tools to partners, collaboratives, stakeholders, and agency personnel. Results provide guidance for land management practices and aid planning efforts on our National Forests. It informs the discussion on sustainability of wood from our forests and how communities can use research for appropriately-scaled economic development opportunities through utilization of byproducts of forest management activities (e.g., fire-risk reduction, restoration).
- Oregon State University , M.S. Forest Products Forest Products/Wood Anatomy/Forest Management 1982
- University of Maine, B.S. Forestry Forestry/Wood Science and Technology 1979
- Research Forest Products Technologist, USDA Forest Service Pacific Northwest Research Station
1990 - Current
- Research Assistant, Oregon State University
1987 - 1989
- Planning and Research Associate, Maine Department of Conservation
1985 - 1986
Marketing and Assessment Program
- IUFRO Working Party S5.01-04, Member (1999 - Current)
Attend meetings, present papers and posters
- Society of Wood Science and Technology (SWST), Member (1987 - Current)
Attend annual meetings, present papers and posters
- Forest Products Society (FPS), Member (1980 - Current)
Session chair and moderator at numerous International Conventions
- Society of Wood Science and Technology (SWST), Board Of Directors (2015 - 2017)
Awards & Recognition
- Forest Products Society Fred W. Gottschalk award , 2016
This prestigious award, named for the first President of the Society, recognizes and honors exceptional service to the Forest Products Society by an individual member.
- Society of Wood Science and Technology George G. Marra Award , 2015
Awarded for excellence in research and writing
Featured Publications & Products
- Lowell, Eini; Becker, D.R.; Smith, D.; Kauffman, M.; Bihn, D. 2017. Community biomass handbook volume 4: enterprise development for integrated wood manufacturing.
- Filipescue, Cosmin N.; Lowell, Eini C.; Koppenaal, Ross; Mitchell, Al K. 2014. Modeling regional and climatic variation of wood density and ring width in intensively managed Douglas-fir.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Maguire, Douglas A.; Briggs, David G.; Turnblom, Eric C.; Jayawickrama, Keith J.S.; Bryce, Jed. 2014. Effects of silviculture and genetics on branch/knot attributes of coastal Pacific Northwest Douglas-fir and implications for wood quality--a synthesis.
- Pelaez-Samaniego, Manuel Raul; Yadama, Vikram; Lowell, Eini; Espinoza-Herrera, Raul. 2013. A review of wood thermal pretreatments to improve wood composite properties.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Rapp, Valerie A.; Haynes, Richard W.; Cray, Caitlin. 2010. Effects of fire, insect, and pathogen damage on wood quality of dead and dying western conifers.
- Langum, Christopher E.; Yadama, Vikram; Lowell, Eini C. 2009. Physical and mechanical properties of young-growth Douglas-fir and western hemlock from western Washington.
- Becker, Dennis R.; Larson, Debra; Lowell, Eini C. 2009. Financial considerations of policy options to enhance biomass utilization for reducing wildfire hazards.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Dykstra, Dennis; McFadden, George. 2009. Effects of bear damage on Douglas-fir lumber recovery.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Becker, Dennis R.; Rummer, Robert; Larson, Debra; Wadleigh, Linda. 2008. An integrated approach to evaluating the economic costs of wildfire hazard reduction through wood utilization opportunities in the Southwestern United States.
- Lowell, Eini C; Wilson, Katherine; Wiedenbeck, Jan; Chan, Catherine; Friday, J. B.; Evans, Nicole. 2017. Consumer preference study of characteristics of Hawaiian koa wood bowls.
- Lowell, Eini ; Turnblom, Eric ; Comnick, Jeff ; Huang, CL . 2018. Effect of rotation age and thinning regime on visual and structural lumber grades of Douglas-fir logs.
- Wiedenbeck, Janice K.; Lowell, Eini. 2017. Wood Quality of Old-Growth Koa Logs and Lumber.
- Pelaez-Samaniego, Manuel R.; Yadama, Vikram; Garcia-Perez, Manuel; Lowell, Eini; Zhu, Rui; Englund, Karl. 2016. Interrelationship between lignin-rich dichloromethane extracts of hot water-treated wood fibers and high-density polyethylene (HDPE) in wood plastic composite (WPC) production.
- Pelaez-Samaniego, Manuel Raul; Yadama, Vikram; Garcia-Perez, Manuel; Lowell, Eini. 2015. Abundance and characteristics of lignin liquid intermediates in wood (Pinus ponderosa Dougl. ex Laws.) during hot water extraction.
- Wang, Xiping; Ross, Robert J.; Verrill, Steve; Lowell, Eini; Barbour, Jamie. 2015. Acoustic Evaluation of Thinning and Biosolid Fertilization Effects on Wood Quality of a Douglas-fir stand.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Parrent, Daniel J.; Deering, Robert C.; Bihn, Dan; Becker, Dennis R. 2015. Community biomass handbook. Volume 2: Alaska, where woody biomass can work..
- Becker, D.; Lowell, E.; Bihn, D.; Anderson, R.; Taff, S. 2014. Community biomass handbook. Volume I: thermal wood energy.
- Pelaez-Samaniego, Manuel Raul; Yadama, Vikram; Garcia-Perez, Tsai; Lowell, Eini; Amidon, Thomas. 2014. Effect of hot water extracted hardwood and softwood chips on particleboard properties.
- Pelaez-Samaniego, Manuel Raul; Yadama, Vikram; Garcia-Perez, Manuel; Lowell, Eini; McDonald, Armando G. 2014. Effect of temperature during wood torrefaction on the formation of lignin liquid intermediates.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Wiedenbeck, Janice K.; Porterfield, Betsy S. 2013. A photographic guide to Acacia koa defects.
- Wang, Xiping; Verrill, Steve; Lowell, Eini; Ross, Robert J.; Herian, Vicki L. 2013. Acoustic sorting models for improved log segregation.
- Pelaez-Samaniego, Manuel Raul; Yadama, Vikram; Lowell, Eini; Amidon, Thomas E.; Chaffee, Timothy L. 2013. Hot water extracted wood fiber for production of wood plastic composites (WPCs).
- Yadama, Vikram; Lowell, Eini C.; Langum, Christopher E. 2012. Characterization of wood strands from young, small-diameter Douglas-fir and western hemlock trees.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Dykstra, Dennis P.; Monserud, Robert A. 2012. Evaluating effects of thinning on wood quality in southeast Alaska.
- Todoroki, Christine L.; Lowell, Eini C.; Dykstra, Dennis P.; Briggs, David G. 2012. Maps and models of density and stiffness within individual Douglas-fir trees.
- Barbuta, Costel; Blanchet, Pierre; Cloutier, Alain; Yadama, Vikram; Lowell, Eini. 2012. OSB as substrate for engineered wood flooring.
- Wiedenbeck, Jan; Lowell, Eini. 2011. An examination of the feasibility of using time-of-flight based non-destructive evaluation to assess the soundness of standing Acacia koa.
- Todoroki, C.L.; Lowell, Eini C.; Dykstra, Dennis. 2010. Automated knot detection with visual post-processing of Douglas-fir veneer images.
- Linton, J.M.; Barnes, H.M.; Seale, R.D.; Jones, P.D.; Lowell, E.; Hummel, S.S. 2010. Suitability of live and fire-killed small-diameter ponderosa and lodgepole pine trees for manufacturing a new structural wood composite.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Todoroki, Christine L.; Thomas, Ed. 2009. Comparing timber and lumber from plantation and natural stands of ponderosa pine.
- Yadama, V.; Lowell, Eini; Petersen, N.; Nicholls, D. 2009. Wood-thermoplastic composites manufactured using beetle-killed spruce from Alaska.
- Briggs, David G.; Thienel, Gonzalo; Turnblom, Eric C.; Lowell, Eini; Dykstra, Dennis; Ross, Robert J.; Wang, Xiping; Carter, Peter. 2008. Influence of thinning on acoustic velocity of Douglas-fir trees in western Washington and western Oregon.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Becker, Dennis R.; Rummer, Robert; Larson, Debra; Wadleigh, Linda. 2008. An integrated approach to evaluating the economic costs of wildfire hazard reduction through wood utilization opportunities in the southwestern United States.
- Becker, Dennis R.; Nechodom, Mark; Barnett, Adam; Mason, Tad; Lowell, Eini C.; Shelly, John; Graham, Dean. 2008. Assessing the role of federal community assistance programs to develop biomass utilization capacity in the Western United States.
- Becker, Dennis R.; Larson, Debra; Lowell, Eini C.; Rummer, Robert B. 2008. User guide for HCR Estimator 2.0: software to calculate cost and revenue thresholds for harvesting small-diameter ponderosa pine..
- Gorman, Thomas M.; Green, David W.; Cisternas, Aldo G.; Hernandez, Roland; Lowell, Eini C. 2007. Structural lumber from suppressed-growth ponderosa pine from northern Arizona.
- Gorman, Thomas M.; Green, David W.; Cisternas, Aldo G., et al..; Hernandez, Roland; Lowell, Eini C. 2007. Structural lumber from suppressed-growth ponderosa pine from northern Arizona..
- Todoroki, Christine; Lowell, Eini. 2006. Effect of small changes in sawpattern on lumber value in pruned Douglas fir logs: Steps toward greater value from pruned logs..
- Green, David W.; Lowell, Eini C.; Hernandez, Roland. 2005. Structural lumber from dense stands of small-diameter Douglas-fir trees..
- Monserud, Robert A.; Lowell, Eini C.; Becker, Dennis R.; Hummel, Susan Stevens; Donoghue, Ellen M.; Barbour, R. James; Kilborn, Kenneth A.; Nicholls, David L.; Roos, Joe; Cantrell, Randall A. 2004. Contemporary wood utilization research needs in the Western United States..
- Becker, Dennis R.; Hjerpe, Evan E.; Lowell, Eini C. 2004. Economic assessment of using a mobile Micromill for processing small-diameter ponderosa pine..
- Lowell, Eini C.; Green, David W. 2001. Lumber recovery from small-diameter ponderosa pine from Flagstaff, Arizona.
- Scott, Gary M.; Bormett, David W.; Sutherland, Nancy Ross; Abubakr, Said; Lowell, Eini. 2000. Beetle-killed spruce utilization in the Kenai peninsula..
- Lowell, Eini C.; Plank, Marlin E. 1997. California Black Oak–From Firewood to Lumber, the Lumber Recovery Story.
- Lowell, Eini C.; Cahill, James M. 1996. Deterioration of fire-killed timber in southern Oregon and northern California..
Citations of non US Forest Service Publications
Krahmer, R.L.; DeGroot, R.C.; Lowell, E.C. 1982. Detecting incipient brown rot with fluorescence microscopy. Wood Science. 15(2): 78–80.
Krahmer, R.L.; Lowell, E.C.; Dougal, E.F.; Wellons, J.D. 1992. Durability of southeast Asian hardwood plywood as shown by accelerated aging tests and 10 year outdoor exposure. Forest Products Journal. 42(4):40–44.
Lowell, E.C.; Krahmer, R.L. 1993. Effects of lean in red alder trees on wood shrinkage and density. Wood and Fiber Science 25(1): 2–7.
|Community Biomass Handbook Guides Businesses Seeking to Replace Fossil Fuels with Wood Energy|
Available as an eBook, this biomass handbook containes a wood energy financial application that allows users to quickly assess whether wood ener ...
|Community Biomass Handbook Volume 4|
The Community Biomass Handbook Volume 4: Enterprise Development for Integrated Wood Manufacturing is a guide for creating sustainable business e ...
|Community Biomass Handbook for Alaska Published|
Volume 2 of the Community Biomass Handbook focuses on Alaska. It is designed to empower communities by helping them determ the best choices for ...
|Finding Value in Young-Growth Koa Wood|
A demonstration project informs the forest industry in Hawai'i of the quality and uses for young-growth Koa wood
|Research Station Helps National Renewable Biofuels Project Engage Community and Industry Leaders|
The Northwest Advanced Renewables Alliance is working to form regional alliances and find communities that might fit into a sustainable biofuels ...