Charles C. Rhoades
240 West Prospect Road
Contact Charles C. Rhoades
My research evaluates biogeochemical linkages between terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems in managed and unmanaged areas. Much of my work addresses the role of upland and riparian soils and vegetation in regulating nitrogen and carbon retention and export from forest watersheds and how natural and anthropogenic disturbance alters these processes.
Past ResearchBriefing Papers
Miller, Sue; Rhoades, Chuck; Schnackenberg, Liz; Fornwalt, Paula; Schroder, Eric. 2015. Slash from the past: Rehabilitating pile burn scars. Science You Can Use Bulletin, Issue 15. Fort Collins, CO: Rocky Mountain Research Station. 9 p.
Rhoades, C.C.; Entwistle, D.; Butler, D. 2012. Water Quality Effects Following a Severe Fire. Fire Management Today 72(2):35-39.
Collins, Bryon J.; Rhoades, Chuck C.; Battaglia, Michael A.; Hubbard, Robert M. 2012. Effects of salvage logging on fire risks after bark beetle outbreaks in Colorado lodgepole pine forests. Fire Management Today. 72(3): 18-22.
Malcolm, Karl; Rhoades, Chuck; Battaglia, Michael; Fornwalt, Paula; Hubbard, Rob; Elder, Kelly; Collins, Byron. 2012. From death comes life: Recovery and revolution in the wake of epidemic outbreaks of mountain pine beetle. Science You Can Use Bulletin, Issue 1. Fort Collins, CO: Rocky Mountain Research Station. 8 p.
Ryan, Mike; Battaglia, Mike; Rhoades, Chuck; Rocca, Monique. Reducing Fuels through Mulching Treatments: What are the Ecological Effects? 2011. Fire Science Brief. Issue 140.
Rhoades, Chuck; Hubbard, Rob; Collins, Byron; Battaglia, Mike; Elder, Kelly; Underhill, Jeff; Cheng, Tony. Signs of Recovery for Colorado Forests in the Wake of the Mountain Pine Beetle. October 2010. Colorado Forest Restoration Institute.
Why This Research is Important
- Biogeochemical research helps land managers evaluate how well watershed conservation practices protect water quality and other aquatic resources. In snow-dominated watersheds of the central Rockies, the biogeochemical consequences of climate change, wildfire and insect outbreak are poorly understood. Research evaluates the elemental links between atmospheric deposition, vegetation and soil nutrient retention and transformation, and streamwater export. Study findings increase understanding of the natural range of variability in watershed processes and support efforts to monitor the consequences of management manipulations and assess the success of restoration treatments. Such work is also integral to long-term monitoring of Fraser Experimental Forest watersheds.
Current research projects address the following biogeochemical linkages:
- Watershed biogeochemistry research examines the atmospheric, terrestrial, and aquatic processes that regulate soil and water quality and that sustain forest productivity. Specific studies consider the influence of:
- Bark beetle outbreak on stream water quality and nutrient export
- Headwater springs on basin-scale streamwater chemistry
- Atmospheric dust deposition on snowpack chemistry
- Snow redistribution on alpine biogeochemistry
- Wildfire severity on streamwater chemistry
- Research supporting sound resource management efforts to improve the health of western forests by reducing hazardous fuel loads, decommissioning roads or treating insect infestations will benefit from better understanding of the interplay between natural ecosystem dynamics and management actions. Specific studies assess:
- The effectiveness of riparian buffers at maintaining aquatic condition and reducing water quality degradation caused by sediment and nutrient movement during timber harvesting operations
- How recovery of soil nitrogen cycling processes regulates post-harvest nutrient retention and leaching in subalpine forests
- The consequences of post-beetle outbreak salvage logging on soil and forest productivity
- How mechanical fuel reduction alters water quality, soil productivity and forest regeneration
- Colorado State University, B.S. Forest Management 1984
- Colorado State University, M.S. Forest Ecology 1992
- University of Georgia, Ph.D. Forest Biogeochemistry and Soil Ecology 1997
- Affiliate Faculty, Colorado State University, Department of Forest, Watershed and Range Stewardship, Department of Soil and Crop Sciences and Graduate Degree Program in Ecology
2003 - Current
- Research Biogeochemist, US Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Air, Water and Aquatic Environments Program
2003 - Current
- Assistant Professor of Restoration Ecology, Department of Forestry, University of Kentucky
1998 - 2003
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, US Geological Survey, Colorado State University
1997 - 1998
- Graduate Research Assistant, Institute of Ecology, University of Georgia
1993 - 1997
- Agroforestry Researcher, International Centre for Agroforestry Research, Malawi
1991 - 1992
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Forestry, Colorado State University
1989 - 1991
- Forestry and Agroforestry Technician, US Peace Corps, Ecuador
1986 - 1989
- Forestry Technician, Colorado State Forest Service
1982 - 1986
Featured Publications & Products
- Rhoades, Charles C.; Chow, Alex T.; Covino, Timothy P.; Fegel, Timothy S.; Pierson, Derek N.; Rhea, Allison E. 2019. The legacy of a severe wildfire on stream nitrogen and carbon in headwater catchments.
- Hohner, Amanda K.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Wilkerson, Paul ; Rosario-Ortiz, Fernando L. 2019. Wildfires alter forest watersheds and threaten drinking water quality.
- Pierson, Derek N.; Robichaud, Peter R.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Brown, Robert E. 2019. Soil carbon and nitrogen eroded after severe wildfire and erosion mitigation treatments.
- Daugherty, Ellen E.; McKee, Georgina A.; Bergstrom, Robert ; Burton, Sarah ; Pallud, Celine ; Hubbard, Robert M.; Kelly, Eugene F.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Borch, Thomas . 2019. Hydrogeomorphic controls on soil carbon composition in two classes of subalpine wetlands.
- Schilling, Kathrin ; Borch, Thomas ; Rhoades, Charles C.; Pallud, Celine E. 2019. Temperature sensitivity of microbial Fe(III) reduction kinetics in subalpine wetland soils.
- Rhoades, Charles C.; Pelz, Kristen A.; Fornwalt, Paula J.; Wolk, Brett H.; Cheng, Antony S. 2018. Overlapping bark beetle outbreaks, salvage logging and wildfire restructure a lodgepole pine ecosystem.
- Leverkus, Alexandro B.; Rey Benayas, José María; Castro, Jorge ; Boucher, Dominique ; Brewer, Stephen ; Collins, Brandon M.; Donato, Daniel ; Fraver, Shawn ; Kishchuk, Barbara E.; Lee, Eun-Jae ; Lindenmayer, David B.; Lingua, Emanuele ; Macdonald, Ellen ; Marzano, Raffaella ; Rhoades, Charles C.; Royo, Alejandro ; Thorn, Simon ; Wagenbrenner, Joseph W.; Waldron, Kaysandra ; Wohlgemuth, Thomas ; Gustafsson, Lena . 2018. Salvage logging effects on regulating and supporting ecosystem services a systematic map.
- Schlesinger, William H.; Dietze, Michael C.; Jackson, Robert B.; Phillips, Richard P.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Rustad, Lindsey E.; Vose, James M. 2015. Forest biogeochemistry in response to drought.
- Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Elder, Kelly. 2017. A decade of streamwater nitrogen and forest dynamics after a mountain pine beetle outbreak at the Fraser Experimental Forest, Colorado.
- Rhoades, Charles C.; McCutchan, James H., Jr..; Cooper, Leigh A.; Clow, David; Detmer, Thomas M.; Briggs, Jennifer S.; Stednick, John D.; Veblen, Thomas T.; Ertz, Rachel M.; Likens, Gene E.; Lewis, William M., Jr. 2013. Biogeochemistry of beetle-killed forests: Explaining a weak nitrate response.
- Rust, Ashley J.; Saxe, Samuel ; McCray, John ; Rhoades, Charles C.; Hogue, Terri S. 2019. Evaluating the factors responsible for post-fire water quality response in forests of the western USA.
- Bergstrom, Robert M.; Borch, Thomas ; Martin, Partick H.; Melzer, Suellen ; Rhoades, Charles C.; Salley, Shawn W.; Kelly, Eugene F. 2019. The generation and redistribution of soil cations in high elevation catenas in the Fraser Experimental Forest, Colorado, U.S..
- Rhoades, Charles C.; Nunes, Joao P.; Silins, Uldis ; Doerr, Stefan H. 2019. The influence of wildfire on water quality and watershed processes: New insights and remaining challenges.
- Wegener, Pam ; Covino, Tim ; Rhoades, Charles . 2018. Evaluating controls on nutrient retention and export in wide and narrow valley segments of a mountain river corridor.
- Ramlow, M. ; Rhoades, C. C.; Cotrufo, M. F. 2018. Promoting revegetation and soil carbon sequestration on decommissioned forest roads in Colorado, USA: A comparative assessment of organic soil amendments.
- Pelz, Kristen A.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Smith, Frederick W. 2018. Severity of overstory mortality influences conifer recruitment and growth in mountain pine beetle-affected forests.
- Fornwalt, Paula J.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Harris, Rebecca L.; Faist, Akasha M.; Bowman, William D. 2018. Short-term understory plant community responses to salvage logging in beetle-affected lodgepole pine forests.
- Rhoades, Charles C. 2018. Soil nitrogen leaching in logged beetle-killed forests and implications for riparian fuel reduction.
- Rhoades, Charles C.; Minatre, Kerri L.; Pierson, Derek N.; Fegel, Timothy S.; Cotrufo, M. Francesca; Kelly, Eugene F. 2017. Examining the potential of forest residue-based amendments for post-wildfire rehabilitation in Colorado, USA.
- Venable, Niah B. H.; Lockwood, Ryan; DiMaria, Joseph; Duda, Joseph; Rhoades, Chuck; Mason, Lisa. 2017. Forest management to protect Colorado s water resources: A synthesis report to support House Bill 16-1255.
- Miller, Sue; Rhodes, Charles; Robichaud, Pete; Ryan, Sandra; Kovecses, Jen; Chambers, Carl; Rathburn, Sara; Heath, Jared; Kampf, Stephanie; Wilson, Codie; Brogan, Dan; Piehl, Brad; Miller, Mary Ellen; Giordanengo, John; Berryman, Erin; Rocca, Monique. 2017. Learn from the burn: The High Park Fire 5 years later.
- Fornwalt, Paula J.; Rocca, Monique E.; Battaglia, Michael; Rhoades, Charles C.; Ryan, Michael G. 2017. Mulching fuels treatments promote understory plant communities in three Colorado, USA, coniferous forest types.
- Vorster, Anthony G.; Evangelista, Paul H.; Stohlgren, Thomas J.; Kumar, Sunil; Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Cheng, Antony S.; Elder, Kelly. 2017. Severity of a mountain pine beetle outbreak across a range of stand conditions in Fraser Experimental Forest, Colorado, United States.
- Rhoades, Chuck; Miller, Susan; Covino, Tim; Chow, Alex; McCormick, Frank. 2017. Stream water quality concerns linger long after the smoke clears: Learning from Front Range wildfires.
- Hood, Paul R.; Nelson, Kellen N.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Tinker, Daniel B. 2017. The effect of salvage logging on surface fuel loads and fuel moisture in beetle-infested lodgepole pine forests.
- Rhoades, Charles C.; Fornwalt, Paula J. 2015. Pile burning creates a fifty-year legacy of openings in regenerating lodgepole pine forests in Colorado.
- Rhoades, Charles C.; Fornwalt, Paula J.; Paschke, Mark W.; Shanklin, Amber; Jonas, Jayne L. 2015. Recovery of small pile burn scars in conifer forests of the Colorado Front Range.
- Miller, Sue; Rhoades, Chuck; Schnackenberg, Liz; Fornwalt, Paula; Schroder, Eric. 2015. Science You Can Use Bulletin: Slash from the past: Rehabilitating pile burn scars.
- Pelz, Kristen; Rhoades, C. C.; Hubbard, R. M.; Battaglia, M. A.; Smith, F. W. 2015. Species composition influences management outcomes following mountain pine beetle in lodgepole pine-dominated forests.
- Hubbard, Rob; Battaglia, Michael; Rhoades, Chuck; Thinnes, Jim; Martin, Tom; Underhill, Jeff; Westfahl, Mark. 2014. Forests in transition: Post-epidemic vegetation conditions Chapter 4.
- Hubbard, Rob; Elder, Kelly; Rhoades, Chuck; Hays, Polly; Sims, Bruce. 2014. Small bugs with big impacts: Ecosystem and watershed-level responses to the MPB epidemic Chapter 7.
- Vose, James M.; Swank, Wayne T.; Adams, Mary Beth; Amatya, Devendra; Campbell, John; Johnson, Sherri; Swanson, Frederick J.; Kolka, Randy; Lugo, Ariel E.; Musselman, Robert; Rhoades, Charles. 2014. The role of experimental forests and ranges in the development of ecosystem science and biogeochemical cycling research Chapter 17.
- Hubbard, Robert M.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Elder, Kelly; Negron, Jose. 2013. Changes in transpiration and foliage growth in lodgepole pine trees following mountain pine beetle attack and mechanical girdling.
- Klutsch, Jennifer G.; West, Daniel R.; Battaglia, Mike A; Costello, Sheryl L.; Negrón, José F.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Popp, John; Caissie, Rick. 2013. Mountain pine beetle in lodgepole pine: mortality and fire implications (Project INT-F-07-03).
- Argerich, A.; Johnson, S.L.; Sebestyen, S.D.; Rhoades, C.C.; Greathouse, E.; Knoepp, J.D.; Adams, M.B.; Likens, G.E.; Campbell, J.L.; McDowell, W.H.; Scatena, F.N.; Ice, G.G. 2013. Trends in stream nitrogen concentrations for forested reference catchments across the USA.
- Collins, Bryon J.; Rhoades, Chuck C.; Battaglia, Michael A.; Hubbard, Robert M. 2012. Effects of salvage logging on fire risks after bark beetle outbreaks in Colorado lodgepole pine forests.
- Rhoades, Chuck; Chambers, Carl; Elder, Kelly; Pierson, Derek; Starr, Banning. 2012. Nutrient and carbon retention in riparian and hillslope forests after mountain pine beetle infestation and timber harvesting in Colorado (Abstract).
- Malcolm, Karl; Rhoades, Chuck; Battaglia, Michael; Fornwalt, Paula; Hubbard, Rob; Elder, Kelly; Collins, Byron. 2012. Science You Can Use Bulletin: From death comes life: Recovery and revolution in the wake of epidemic outbreaks of mountain pine beetle.
- Rhoades, C. C.; Battaglia, M. A.; Rocca, M. E.; Ryan, M. G. 2012. Short- and medium-term effects of fuel reduction mulch treatments on soil nitrogen availability in Colorado conifer forests.
- Jalali, Gholam Ali; Akbarian, Hossein; Rhoades, Charles; Yousefzadeh, Hamed. 2012. The effect of the halophytic shrub Lycium ruthenium (Mutt) on selected soil properties of a desert ecosystem in central Iran.
- Collins, B. J.; Rhoades, C. C.; Battaglia, M. A.; Hubbard, R. M. 2012. The effects of bark beetle outbreaks on forest development, fuel loads and potential fire behavior in salvage logged and untreated lodgepole pine forests.
- Nelson, Monique LaPerriere; Rhoades, Charles C.; Dwire, Kathleen A. 2011. Influence of bedrock geology on water chemistry of slope wetlands and headwater streams in the southern Rocky Mountains.
- Fornwalt, Paula J.; Rhoades, Charles C. 2011. Rehabilitating slash pile burn scars in upper montane forests of the Colorado Front Range.
- Clow, David W.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Briggs, Jennifer; Caldwell, Megan; Lewis, William M., Jr. 2011. Responses of soil and water chemistry to mountain pine beetle induced tree mortality in Grand County, Colorado, USA.
- Andrews, Danielle M.; Barton, Christopher D.; Kolka, Randy; Rhoades, Charles C.; Dattilo, Adam J. 2011. Soil and water characteristics in restored canebrake and forest riparian zones.
- Rhoades, Charles C.; Entwistle, Deborah; Butler, Dana. 2011. The influence of wildfire extent and severity on streamwater chemistry, sediment and temperature following the Hayman Fire, Colorado.
- Collins, Byron J.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Battaglia, Michael A. 2011. Tree regeneration and future stand development after bark beetle infestation and harvesting in Colorado lodgepole pine stands.
- Stone, Katharine R.; Pilliod, David S.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Wollrab, Sherry P.; Young, Michael K. 2010. Fuel reduction management practices in riparian areas of the western USA.
- Collins, Byron J.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Underhill, Jeffrey; Hubbard, Robert M. 2010. Post-harvest seedling recruitment following mountain pine beetle infestation of Colorado lodgepole pine stands: A comparison using historic survey records.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Young, Michael K. 2010. Potential effects of fuel management activities on riparian areas.
- Battaglia, Mike A.; Rocca, Monique E.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Ryan, Michael G. 2010. Surface fuel loadings within mulching treatments in Colorado coniferous forests.
- Rhoades, Charles; Elder, Kelly; Greene, E. 2010. The influence of an extensive dust event on snow chemistry in the southern Rocky Mountains.
- Rhoades, Chuck; Loftis, David; Lewis, Jeffrey; Clark, Stacy. 2009. The influence of silvicultural treatments and site conditions on American chestnut (Castanea dentata) seedling establishment in eastern Kentucky, USA.
- Fabio, Eric S.; Arthur, Mary A.; Rhoades, Charles C. 2009. Influence of moisture regime and tree species composition on nitrogen cycling dynamics in hardwood forests of Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky, USA.
- Klutsch, Jennifer G.; Negron, Jose F.; Costello, Sheryl L.; Rhoades, Charles C.; West, Daniel R.; Popp, John; Caissie, Rick. 2009. Stand characteristics and downed woody debris accumulations associated with a mountain pine beetle (Dendroctonus ponderosae Hopkins) outbreak in Colorado.
- Callaham, Mac A., Jr..; Rhoades, Charles C.; Heneghan, Liam. 2008. A striking profile: Soil ecological knowledge in restoration management and science.
- Heneghan, Liam; Miller, Susan P.; Baer, Sara; Callaham, Mac A., Jr..; Montgomery, James; Pavao-Zuckerman, Mitchell; Rhoades, Charles C.; Richardson, Sarah. 2008. Integrating soil ecological knowledge into restoration management.
- Seo, Kyung Won; Son, Yowhan; Rhoades, Charles C.; Noh, Nam Jin; Koo, Jin Woo; Kim, Jeong-Gyu. 2008. Seedling growth and heavy metal accumulation of candidate woody species for revegetating Korean mine spoils.
- Rhoades, Charles; Binkley, Dan; Oskarsson, Hlynur; Stottlemyer, Robert. 2008. Soil nitrogen accretion along a floodplain terrace chronosequence in northwest Alaska: Influence of the nitrogen-fixing shrub Shepherdia Canadensis.
- Elder, Kelly; Dwire, Kate; Hubbard, Robert; Rhoades, Charles; Ryan, Sandra; Young, Mike; Porth, Laurie; Dixon, Mark; Goodbody, Angue. 2006. Second interagency conference on research in the watersheds.
- Dattilo, Adam J.; Rhoades, Charles C. 2005. Establishment of the woody grass Arundinaria gigantea for riparian restoration.
- Rhoades, Charles; Miller, S. P.; Skinner, D. L. 2005. Forest vegetation and soil patterns across glade-forest ecotones in the Knobs region of northeastern Kentucky, USA.
- Hubbard, Robert M.; Ryan, Michael G.; Elder, Kelly; Rhoades, Charles C. 2005. Seasonal patterns in soil surface CO2 flux under snow cover in 50 and 300 year old subalpine forests.
- Trammell, T. L. E.; Rhoades, Charles; Bukaveckas, P. A. 2004. Effects of prescribed fire on nutrient pools and losses from glades occurring within oak-hickory forests of central Kentucky.
- Rhoades, Charles C.; Meier, A. J.; Rebertus, A. J. 2004. Soil properties in fire-consumed log burnout openings in a Missouri oak savanna.
Citations of non US Forest Service Publications
- Rieske, L.K., C.C. Rhoades, and S.P. Miller. 2003. Foliar Chemistry and Gypsy Moth, Lymantria dispar (L.), Herbivory on Pure American Chestnut, Castanea dentata (Fam: Fagaceae), and a Disease-Resistant Hybrid. Environmental Entomology 32:359-365
- Kaye, J.P., D. Binkley, and C. Rhoades. 2003. Stable soil nitrogen accumulation and flexible organic matter stoichiometry during primary floodplain succession. Biogeochemistry 63:1-22
- Rhoades, C.C. and M.M. Shea. 2003. Forest type influences response of vegetation and soil chemistry to edge clearing in dry glades (Kentucky). Ecological Restoration 21:42-43.
- Rhoades, C.C., S.L. Brosi, A.J. Dattilo, and P. Vincelli. 2003. Soil compaction and moisture controls on incidence of Phytophthora root rot on American Chestnut seedlings. Forest Ecology and Management 184:47-54
- Washburn, B.E., T.G. Barnes, C.C. Rhoades, and R. Remington. 2002. Using imazapic and prescribed fire to enhance native warm-season grassland in Kentucky, USA. Natural Areas Journal 22:20-27
- Rhoades, C.C., T.G. Barnes, and B.E. Washburn. 2002. Prescribed fire and herbicide effects on soil processes during barrens restoration. Restoration Ecology 10:1-9
- Stottlemyer, R., C. Rhoades, and H. Steltzer. 2001. Soil temperature, moisture and carbon and nitrogen mineralization at a taiga-tundra ecotone, Noatak National Preserve, Northwestern Alaska. U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1678. 127-137*
- Giardina, C.P. and C.C. Rhoades. 2001. Clear cutting and burning affect nitrogen supply, phosphorus fractions and seedling growth in soils from a Wyoming lodgepole pine forest. Forest Ecology and Management 140:19-28
- Rhoades, C.C., H. Oskarsson, D. Binkley, and R. Stottlemyer. 2001. Alder (Alnus crispa) effects on soils vary with ecosystem type along the Agashashok River, northwest Alaska. Ecoscience 8(1):89-95
- Rhoades, C.C. and A.C. Park. 2001. Pre-blight abundance of American chestnut in Kentucky. Journal of the American Chestnut Foundation 15(1):36-44
- Rhoades, C.C., G.E. Eckert, and D.C. Coleman. 2000. Soil carbon changes among forest, agriculture and secondary vegetation in lower montane Ecuador. Ecological Applications 10:497-505
- Rhoades, C.C. and D.C. Coleman. 1999. Nitrogen mineralization and nitrification following land conversion in montane Ecuador. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 31:1347-1354
- Rhoades, C.C., G.E. Eckert, and D.C. Coleman. 1998. Effect of pasture trees on soil nitrogen availability and soil organic matter cycling: Implications for montane forest restoration. Restoration Ecology 6:262-270
- Rhoades, C.C., T.M. Nissen, and J.S. Kettler. 1998. Soil nitrogen dynamics in alley cropping and no-till systems on ultisols of the Georgia Piedmont, USA. Agroforestry Systems 39:31-44
- Rhoades, C.C. 1997. Single-tree influence on soil properties in agroforestry systems: Lessons from natural and savanna ecosystems. Agroforestry Systems 35:71-94
- Rhoades, C. and D. Binkley. 1996. Factors influencing soil pH changes beneath Eucalyptus and Albizia plantations in Hawaii. Forest Ecology and Management 80:47-56
- Binkley, D., F. Suarez, C. Rhoades, R. Stottlemyer, and D.W. Valentine. 1995. Parent material depth controls ecosystem composition and function on a riverside terrace in northwestern Alaska. Ecoscience 2(4):377-381
Rhoades, C.C. 1995. Seasonal pattern of nitrogen mineralization and soil moisture beneath Faidherbia albida (syn. Acacia albida) in central Malawi. Agroforestry Systems 29:133-145.
- Rhoades, C., R.L. Sanford Jr., and D.B. Clark. 1994. Gender-dependent influences on soil phosphorus by the dioecious lowland tropical tree Simarouba amara. Biotropica 26:362-368
- Rhoades, C. and D. Binkley. 1992. Spatial extent of altered soil properties associated with mixed species forest stands of N2-fixing red alder and Douglas-fir. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 22:1434-1437
Targeting Post-Wildfire Watershed Restoration at Source Water Protection. Charles Rhoades, Sandra Ryan, Frank McCormick, Jan Engert, Timothy Covino, Stephanie Kampf, Carl Chambers, Jen Kovecses, Jill Oropeza. Poster #22. April 2016. National Forest Foundations Collaborative Restoration Workshop. Denver, Colorado.
Examining the Potential of Biochar in Post-Wildfire Rehabilitation. K. Minatre, C. Rhoades, D. Pierson, M. Cotrufo, & E. Kelly. Soil Science Society of America Annual Meeting. November 2015. Long Beach, California.
A Decade of Watershed Responses to Mountain Pine Beetle in Colorado Subalpine Forests. Chuck Rhoades, Rob Hubbard, Kelly Elder, Derek Pierson. June 2014. North American Forest Soil Conference. Whitefish, Montana.
Soil nitrogen availability in Colorado conifer forests after fuel reduction mulching treatments. Chuck Rhoades, Mike Battaglia, Monique Rocca & M.G. Ryan. Soil Science Society of America Annual Meeting. October 2011. San Antonio, Texas.
Future Stand Development and Potential Fire Behavior following Mountain Pine Beetle and Harvesting in Colorado Lodgepole Pine Stands. Byron Collins, Michael Battaglia, Rob Hubbard, Chuck Rhoades. Ecological Society of America. August 2011. Austin, Texas.
Variability in Stream Nitrogen at US Forest Service Experimental Forests: Relevance to Proposed Stream Nutrient Criteria. C. Rhoades, S. Sebestyen, S. Johnson, E. Greathouse, G. Ice D. Amatya, A. Argerich, J. Campbell, P. Edwards, J. Knoepp, G. Likens, P. Wohlgemuth, D. Wright. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting. December 2011. San Francisco, California. Abstract #B43D-0313.
Linking stream nitrate to forest response and recovery after severe bark beetle infestation. Chuck Rhoades, Rob Hubbard, Kelly Elder, Derek Pierson. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting December 2013. San Francisco, California. H11D-118.
Long-term Water Quality and Stream Nutrient Responses to Forest Harvest and Disturbance at US Forest Service Experimental Forests and Ranges. Johnson, S.L.; Sebestyen, S.D.; Adams, M.; Amatya, D.M.; Bailey,S.W.; Jones, J.B.; Knoepp, J.D.; McCaughey, W.; McDowell, W.H.; McGuire, K.J.; Rhoades, C.C.; Wohlgemuth, P.M. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2008, abstract #H13C-0926.
Streamwater Nitrogen During Mountain Pine Beetle Infestation of Subalpine Watersheds at the US Forest Service, Fraser Experimental Forest. Chuck Rhoades, Kelly Elder, Rob Hubbard, Mark Dixon. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2008.
Chemical composition of stream water in mixed alpine & subalpine watersheds at the Fraser Experimental Forest, Colorado. C. Rhoades, J. Norman III, E. Kelly and K. Elder. July 2008. CUASHI Biennial Colloquium on Hydrologic Science and Engineering, Boulder, CO.
A Striking Profile - Soils Knowledge Applied to Restoration Science. Rhoades, C.C., Miller, S.P. Callaham, Jr., M.A. and L. Heneghan, December 2006. Soil Ecology Restoration Workshop, DePaul University, Chicago, IL.
The Influence of a Dust Event on Snow Chemistry. C. Rhoades, K. Elder and E. Greene. October 2006. International Snow Science Workshop, Telluride, CO.
Assessing biogeochemical & hydrologic change during incipient bark beetle outbreak in managed and unmanaged subalpine watersheds. C. Rhoades, K. Elder, R. Hubbard and M. Dixon. July 2006. Advances in Threat Assessment and their application to forest and range management. Boulder, CO.
Soil nitrogen turnover and release 25 & 50 years after harvesting subalpine forests in the Rocky Mountains of central Colorado. C. Rhoades, R. Hubbard, B. Starr and M. Ryan. October 2005. Soil Science Society of America Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, UT.
The Influence of Hillside Springs on Subalpine Streamwater. Rhoades, C.C., Quiet, N., Dwire, K.A. and K. Brewer. September 2005. Forest Service Watershed Research Meeting, Fraser Experimental Forest, Fraser, CO.
Landscape-scale patterns in N biogeochemistry of high elevation ridges: Preliminary findings and hypothesized controls. Rhoades, C.C., E.F. Kelly, M. Stromberger, R.L. Sandford, Jr. August 2005. Ecological Society of America, Montreal, Ontario, Canada.
Streamwater chemistry and sediment responses to wildfire in the Colorado Front Range. C. Rhoades, D. Entwistle, D. Butler and B. Starr. December 2004. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
|Severe Wildfire Has Long-term Consequences for Stream Water Quality|
Severe wildfires remove vegetation and organic soil layers and expose watersheds to erosion, which can transport large quantities of soil and as ...