C. John Ralph
1700 Bayview Drive
Contact C. John Ralph
His principal work is on landbird monitoring, especially involving census and constant effort mist netting.
An important result has been the Klamath Landbird Monitoring Network of stations in northern California and southern Oregon, with the Klamath and Humboldt Bay Bird Observatories. He was also instrumental in the creation of the Landbird Monitoring Network of the Americas, a cooperative venture bringing together bird researchers (individuals, NGOs, and agencies) to archive and make accessible bird banding data over the internet.
He also has heavy involvement with Partners in Flight, especially being co-chair of the Monitoring Working Group, immedidate past president of the Western Bird Banding Association, and with the North American Banding Council where he serves as vice-chair.
One of his principal research topics in recent years has been on an old-growth dependent bird, the Marbled Murrelet, involving extensive research from Alaska to California, both in inland forests and much work on monitoring offshore populations of this seabird.
Since 1994, he has directed research at a bird monitoring station in Costa Rica, now likely the longest running station in Latin America. This has expanded into several observatories in the country where he remains active. Beginning in 1980, he has conducted research on an island in the Bay of Islands off New Zealand involving monitoring and reintroduction of native birds.
He has participated in more than 250 scientific articles and reports and edited several books on bird monitoring and the Marbled Murrelet. A list of his publications can be found at http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/topics/wildlife/birdmon/BirdLabPubs.shtml.
Most of his early research was on bird migration and orientation. He was a cofounder (with L.R. Mewaldt) of the Point Reyes Bird Observatory, served as its Director for a period, and continues his involvement with migration research and bird observatories in general, founding or co-founding several, more recently helping start the Klamath Bird Observatory based in southern Oregon and northern California.
After a stint as a professor teaching at Dickinson College in Pennsylvania, he moved to Hawaii in 1976 where he began work on endangered forest birds for the Forest Service as a Research Ecologist. His work there focused on the behavioral ecology of the birds, especially foraging, population dynamics, and demography. In 1981 he and his family moved to Arcata, California to join the Forest Service's Redwood Sciences Laboratory.
- The Johns Hopkins University, Sc.D.
- San Jose State University, M.S.
- University of California, B.S.
- Ralph, C. John; Wolfe, Jared D. 2018. Factors affecting the distribution and abundance of autumn vagrant New World warblers in northwestern California and southern Oregon.
- Wolfe, Jared D.; Ralph, C. John; Wiegardt, Andrew. 2017. Bottom-up processes influence the demography and life-cycle phenology of Hawaiian bird communities.
- Wiegardt, Andrew; Wolfe, Jared; Ralph, C. John; Stephens, Jaime L.; Alexander, John. 2017. Postbreeding elevational movements of western songbirds in Northern California and Southern Oregon.
- Rockwell, Sarah M.; Alexander, John D.; Stephens, Jaime L.; Frey, Robert I.; Ralph, C. John. 2017. Spatial variation in songbird demographic trends from a regional network of banding stations in the Pacific Northwest.
- Alexander, John D.; Stephens, Jaime L.; Veloz, Sam; Salas, Leo; Rousseau, Josée S.; Ralph, C. John; Sarr, Daniel A. 2017. Using regional bird density distribution models to evaluate protected area networks and inform conservation planning.
- Stephens, Jaime L.; Dinger, Eric C.; Alexander, John D.; Mohren, Sean R.; Ralph, C. John; Sarr, Daniel A. 2016. Bird communities and environmental correlates in southern Oregon and northern California, USA.
- Wolfe, J.D.; Ralph, C.J.; Elizondo, P. 2015. Changes in the apparent survival of a tropical bird in response to the El Niño Southern Oscillation in mature and young forest in Costa Rica.
- Stephens, Jaime L.; Rockwell, Sarah M.; Ralph, C. John; Alexander, John D. 2015. Decline of the Black Tern (Chlidonias niger) population in the Klamath Basin, Oregon, 2001-2010.
- Ralph, C. John; Wolfe, Jared D. 2014. Bird banding and climate change: can we make a difference.
- Wolfe, Jared D.; Johnson, Matthew D.; Ralph, C. John; Brigham, R. Mark. 2014. Do birds select habitat or food resources Nearctic-neotropic migrants in northeastern Costa Rica.
- Matsuoka, Steven M.; Mahon, C. Lisa; Handel, Colleen M.; Sólymos, Péter; Bayne, Erin M.; Fontaine, Patricia C.; Ralph, C. John. 2014. Reviving common standards in point-count surveys for broad inference across studies.
- Ralph, C. John. 2013. A method for catching large numbers of birds: Audiolures for migrants and their use in banding stations.
- Klamath Bird Observatory and USFS Pacific Southwest Research Station, C. 2013. Bird monitoring as an aid to riparian restoration: Findings from the Trinity River in northwestern California.
- Wolfe, Jared D.; Johnson, Matthew D.; Ralph, C. John. 2013. Greater mass increases annual survival of Prothonotary Warblers wintering in northeastern Costa Rica.
- Ralph, C. John. 2012. A new technique hints at Yellow-billed Cuckoo s wanderings.
- Miller, Sherri L.; Raphael, Martin G.; Falxa, Gary A.; Strong, Craig; Baldwin, Jim; Bloxton, Thomas; Galleher, Beth M.; Lance, Monique; Lynch, Deanna; Pearson, Scott F.; Ralph, C. John; Young, Richard D. 2012. Recent population decline of the Marbled Murrelet in the Pacific Northwest.
- Ralph, C. John. 2012. Recovering from recoveries: bird banding soon to be obsolete.
- Elizondo, Pablo; Ralph, C. John. 2011. Costa Rica bird banding scheme.
- Ralph, C. John; Elizondo, Pablo. 2011. Integrating LaMNA (Landbird Monitoring Network of the Americas) and the Western Hemisphere Bird-Banding Network.
- Elizondo, Pablo; Ralph, C. John. 2011. North American Banding Council: Experiences on training and certification across the region.
- Elizondo, Pablo; Ralph, C. John; Wolfe, Jared D. 2011. Out of the mists comes knowledge of little-known endemics, as researchers band together to predict a no-analog future.
- Moreno, Maria Isabel; Elizondo, Pablo; Ralph, C. John. 2011. Proceedings of the fourth WHBBN workshop, Brazil 2010.
- Ralph, C. John. 2011. The revolution from Observatory to Network and where have all the data gone.
- Fuller, Trevon L.; Saatchi, Sassan S.; Curd, Emily E.; Toffelmier, Erin; Thomassen, Henri A.; Buermann, Wolfgang; DeSante, David F.; Nott, Mark P.; Saracco, James F.; Ralph, C. J.; Alexander, John D.; Pollinger, John P. ; Smith., Thomas B. 2010. Mapping the risk of avian influenza in wild birds in the US.
- Wolfe, Jared D.; Pyle, Peter; Ralph, C. John. 2009. Breeding seasons, molt patterns, and gender and age criteria for selected northeastern Costa Rican resident landbirds.
- Wolfe, J.D.; Ralph, C.J. 2009. Correlations between El Ni o Southern Oscillation and changes in Nearctic-Neotropic migrant condition in Central America.
- Ralph, C. John. 2009. Review of "Bird banding in North America: the first hundred years" - Jerome A. Jackson, William E. Davis, Jr., and John Tautin, editors.
- Haseltine, Susan D.; Schmidt, Paul R.; Bales, Bradley D.; Bonter, David N.; DeSante, David F.; Doherty, Paul F.; Francis, Charles M.; Green, Paul T.; Howes, Lesley-Anne; James, Daniel L.; Lament, J. Jasper; Lancia, Richard A.; Paul, Ellen I.; Ralph, C. John; Rogers, John G.; Young, Richard E. 2008. Report of the Federal Advisory Committee on the bird banding laboratory.
- Sullivan, Brain L; Iliff, Marshall J.; Ralph, Peter L.; Ralph, C. J.; Kelling, Steven T. 2007. A lesser frigatebird (Fregata ariel) in California: a first for the state and fourth for North America.
- Tindall, S. David; Ralph, C. John; Clout, M. N. 2007. Changes in bird abundance following Common Myna control on a New Zealand island.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Baldwin, Jim; Falxa, Gary A.; Huff, Mark H.; Lance, Monique; Miller, Sherri L.; Pearson, Scott F.; Ralph, C. John; Strong, Craig; Thompson, Chris. 2007. Regional population monitoring of the marbled murrelet: field and analytical methods..
- Spurr, E.B.; Ralph, C.J., (compilers). 2006. Development of bird population monitoring in New Zealand: Proceedings of a workshop.
- Alexander, John D.; Seavy, Nathaniel E.; Ralph, C; Hogoboom, Bill. 2006. Vegetation and topographical correlates of fire severity from two fires in the Klamath-Siskiyou region of Oregon and California.
- Miller, Sherri L.; Ralph, C. John. 2005. A Watershed-Scale Survey for Stream-Foraging Birds in Northern California.
- Ralph, C. John; Widdowson, Margaret J.; Frey, Robert I.; Herrera, Pablo A.; O'Donnell, Brian P. 2005. An overview of a landbird monitoring program at Tortuguero, on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica.
- Ralph, C. John; Rich, Terrell D. 2005. Bird Conservation Implementation and Integration in the Americas: Proceedings of the Third International Partners in Flight Conference. 2002 March 20-24; Asilomar, California, Volume 1 and 2.
- Francis, Charles M.; Bart, Jonathan; Dunn, Erica H.; Burnham, Kenneth P.; Ralph, C. John. 2005. Enhancing the value of the breeding bird survey: reply to Sauer et al. (2005).
- Huff, Mark H.; Seavy, Nathaniel E.; Alexander, John D.; Ralph, C. John. 2005. Fire and birds in maritime Pacific Northwest.
- Seavy, Nathaniel E.; Quader, Suhel; Alexander, John D.; Ralph, C. John. 2005. Generalized linear models and point count data: statistical considerations for the design and analysis of monitoring studies.
- Hutto, Richard L.; Ralph, C. John. 2005. Introduction - regional monitoring programs.
- Hussell, David J. T.; Ralph, C. John. 2005. Recommended methods for monitoring change in bird populations by counting and capture of migrants.
- C. Latta, Steven; Ralph, C. John; Geupel, Geoffrey R. 2005. Strategies for the conservation monitoring of resident landbirds and wintering neotropical migrants in the Americas.
- Bart, Jonathan; Ralph, C. John. 2005. Suggestions for establishing a network of landbird migration monitoring sites.
- Ralph, C.J. 2005. The body grasp technique: a rapid method of removing birds from mist nets.
- Carlisle, Jay D.; Ralph, C. John. 2005. Towards the establishment of landbird migration monitoring networks in the United States.
- Bart, Jonathan; Droege, Sam; Geissler, Paul; Peterjohn, Bruce; Ralph, C. John. 2004. Density estimation in wildlife surveys.
- Bart, Jonathan; Burnham, Kenneth P.; Dunn, Erica H.; Francis, Charles M.; Ralph, C. John. 2004. Goals and strategies for estimating trends in landbird abundance.
- Meyer, Carolyn B.; Miller, Sherri L.; Ralph, C. John. 2004. Logistic regression accuracy across different spatial and temporal scales for a wide-ranging species, the marbled murrelet.
- Ralph, C. John; Hollinger, Kimberly; Miller, Sherri L. 2004. Monitoring productivity with multiple mist-net stations.
- Stauffer, Howard B.; Ralph, C. John; Miller, Sherri L. 2004. Ranking habitat for Marbled Murrelets: New conservation approach for species with uncertain detection.
- Ralph, C. John; Dunn, Erica H.; Peach, Will J.; Handel, Colleen M. 2004. Recommendations for the use of mist nets for inventory and monitoring of bird populations.
- Meyer, Carolyn B.; Miller, Sherri L.; Ralph, C. John. 2004. Stand-scale habitat associations across a large geographic region of an old-growth specialist, the marbled murrelet.
- Dunn, E.H.; Ralph, C. John. 2004. The use of mist nets as a tool for bird population monitoring.
- Alexander, John D.; Ralph, C. John; Hogoboom, Bill; Seavy, Nathaniel E.; Janes, Stewart. 2004. Understanding effects of fire suppression, fuels treatment, and wildfire on bird communities in the Klamath-Siskiyou ecoregion.
- Ralph, C. John; Hollinger, K. 2003. The status of the Willow and Pacific-slope flycatchers in northwestern California and southern Oregon.
- Sakai, W.H.; Ralph, C.J. 2002. A tabular format of Pyle's ageing and sexing methods for landbirds.
- Stauffer, Howard B.; Ralph, C. John; Miller, Sherri L. 2002. Incorporating detection uncertainty into presence-absence surveys for marbled murrelet.
- Miller, Sherri L.; Meyer, Carolyn B.; Ralph, C. John. 2002. Land and seascape patterns associated with marbled murrelet abundance offshore.
- Long, L.L.; Ralph, C.J.; Miller, S. 2001. A new method for ageing Marbled Murrelets and the effect on productivity estimates.
- Long, Linda L.; Ralph, C. John. 2001. Dynamics of habitat use by shorebirds in estuarine and agricultural habitats in northwestern California.
- Miller, S.L.; Meyer, C.B.; Ralph, C.J. 2000. Landscape and seascape patterns associated with marbled murrelet offshore abundance. (Abstract).
- Ralph, C.J. 2000. The 10 biggest challenges in bird inventory and monitoring.
- Beauchamp, W.D.; Cooke, F.; Lougheed, C.; Lougheed, L.W.; Ralph, C.J.; Courtney, S. 1999. Seasonal movements of marbled murrelets: evidence from banded birds.
- Fancy, Steven G.; Ralph, C. John. 1998. 'I'iwi (Vestiaria coccinea).
- Ralph, C.J.; Fancy, S.G.; Male, T.D. 1998. Demography of an introduced red-billed Leiothrix population in Hawaii.
- Male, T.D.; Fancy, S.G.; Ralph, C.J. 1998. Red-billed Leiothrix (Leiothrix lutea).
- Hunter, John E.; Schmidt, Kristin N.; Stauffer, Howard B.; Miller, Sherri L.; Ralph, C. John; Roberts, Lynn. 1998. Status of the Marbled Murrelet in the inner north coast ranges of California.
- Fancy, Steven G.; Ralph, C. John. 1997. Apapane (Himatione sanguinea).
- Ralph, C.J.; Fancy, S.G. 1996. Aspects of the life history and foraging of the endangered Akiapolaau.
- Ralph, C. John; Geupel, Geoffrey R.; Pyle, Peter; Martin, Thomas E.; DeSante, David F; Milá, Borja. 1996. Manual de métodos de campo para el monitoreo de aves terrestres.
- Ralph, C.J.; Sakai, H.F.; Hollinger, K. 1996. Monitoring populations and demography of landbirds in riparian corridors of the coastal redwood zone.
- Miller, S.L.; Ralph, C.J. 1996. Relationship of marbled murrelets with habitat characteristics in redwood forest in northwestern California. Yurok.
- O’Donnell, Brian P.; Naslund, Nancy L.; Ralph, C. John. 1995. Chapter 11: Patterns of Seasonal Variation of Activity of Marbled Murrelets in Forested Stands.
- Ralph, C. John. 1995. Chapter 13: Interannual Differences in Detections of Marbled Murrelets in Some Inland California Stands.
- Ralph, C. John; Hunt, Jr., George L..; Raphael, Martin G.; Piatt, John F. 1995. Chapter 1: Ecology and Conservation of the Marbled Murrelet in North America: An Overview.
- Miller, Sherri L.; Ralph, C. John. 1995. Chapter 20: Relationship of Marbled Murrelets with Habitat Characteristics at Inland Sites in California.
- Strachan, Gary; McAllister, Michael; Ralph, C. John. 1995. Chapter 23: Marbled Murrelet At-Sea and Foraging Behavior.
- Ralph, C. John; Miller, Sherri L. 1995. Chapter 33: Offshore Population Estimates of Marbled Murrelets in California.
- Ralph, C. John; Long, Linda L. 1995. Chapter 35: Productivity of marbled murrelets in California from observations of young at sea.
- Ralph, C.J.; Fancy, S.G. 1995. Demography and movements of Apapane and Iiwi in Hawaii.
- Ralph, C. John; Hunt, George L., Jr..; Raphael, Martin G.; Piatt, John F. 1995. Ecology and conservation of the Marbled Murrelet.
- Ralph, C. John; Droege, Sam; Sauer, John R. 1995. Managing and Monitoring Birds Using Point Counts: Standards and Applications.
- Ralph, C. John; Sauer, John R.; Droege, Sam. 1995. Monitoring bird populations by point counts.
- Hamer, Thomas E.; Cooper, Brian A.; Ralph, C. John. 1995. Use of radar to study the movements of Marbled Murrelets at inland sites.
- Ralph, C.J.; Fancy, S.G. 1994. Demography and movements of the Omao (Myadestes obscurus).
- Ralph, C. John; Fancy, Steven G. 1994. Demography and movements of the endangered Akepa and Hawaii Creeper.
- Ralph, C. John. 1994. Evidence of changes in populations of the Marbled Murrelet in the Pacific Northwest.
- Miller, S.L.; Ralph, C.J. 1994. The relationship of marbled murrelet activity levels and behaviors with habitat characteristics of forest stands in California. (Abstract). Yurok.
- Ralph, C.J.; Fancy, S.G. 1994. Timing of breeding and molting in six species of Hawaiian honeycreepers.
- Ralph, C. John. 1993. Designing and implementing a monitoring program and the standards for conducting point counts.
- Ralph, C.J.; Geupel, G.R.; Pyle, P.; Martin, T.E.; DeSante, D.F. 1993. Handbook of field methods for monitoring landbirds.
- Butcher, Gregory S.; Peterjohn, Bruce; Ralph, C. John. 1993. Overview of national bird population monitoring programs and databases.
- Paton, P.W.C.; Ralph, C.J.; Seay, J. 1992. A mist net design for capturing marbled murrelets.
- Ralph, C.J.; Nelson, S.K.; [Compilers], . 1992. Methods for surveying marbled murrelets at inland forested sites.
- Paton, P.W.C.; Ralph, C.J.; Erickson, R.A. 1992. Use of an inland site in northwestern California by marbled murrelets.
- Singer, S.W.; Naslund, N.L.; Singer, S.A.; Ralph, C.J. 1991. Discovery and observations of two tree nests of the marbled murrelet.
- Ralph, C.J.; Paton, P.W.C.; Taylor, C.A. 1991. Habitat association patterns of breeding birds and small mammals in Douglas-fir/hardwood stands in northwestern California and southwestern Oregon.
- Ralph, C. John. 1991. Population dynamics of land bird populations on Oahu, Hawaii: fifty years of introductions and competition.
- Ralph, C. John; Paton, Peter W. C.; Zakis, Aivars; Strachan, Gary. 1990. Breeding distribution of the marbled murrelet in Redwood National Park and vicinity during 1988.
- Paton, P.W.C.; Ralph, C.J. 1990. Distribution of the marbled murrelet at inland sites in California. Yurok.
- Paton, Peter W.C.; Ralph, C. John; Carter, Harry R.; Nelson, S. Kim. 1990. Surveying marbled murrelets at inland forested sites: a guide.
- Johnson, Ned K.; Marten, Jill A.; Ralph, C. John. 1989. Genetic evidence for the origin and relationships of Hawaiian honeycreepers (Aves: Fringillidae).
- Taylor, Cathy A.; Ralph, C. John; Doyle, Arlene T. 1988. Differences in the ability of vegetation models to predict small mammal abundance in different aged Douglas-fir forests.
- Scott, J. Michael; Ralph, C. John. 1988. In my experience: quality control of symposia and their published proceedings.
- Ralph, C. John; Noon, Barry R. 1986. Foraging interactions of small Hawaiian forest birds.
- Franklin, J.F.; Hall, F.; Laudenslayer, W.; Maser, C.; Nunan, J.; Poppino, J.; Ralph, C.J.; Spies, T. 1986. Interim definitions for old growth Douglas-fir and mixed-conifer forests in the Pacific Northwest and California..
- Ralph, Carol Pearson; Nagata, Stephanie E.; Ralph, C. John. 1985. Analysis of droppings to describe diets of small birds.
- Ralph, C. John. 1985. Habitat association patterns of forest and steppe birds of northern Patagonia, Argentina.
- Ralph, C. John; Maxwell, Bruce D. 1984. Relative effects of human and feral hog disturbance on a wet forest in Hawaii.
- Watt, Doris J.; Ralph, C. John; Atkinson, Carter T. 1984. The role of plumage polymorphism in dominance relationshipt of the white-throated sparrow.
- Ralph, C. John. 1981. Age ratios and their possible use in determining autumn routes of passerine migrants.
- Ralph, C. John. 1981. An investigation of the effect of seasonal activity levels on avian censusing.
- Conant, Sheila; Collins, Mark S.; Ralph, C. John. 1981. Effects of observers using different methods upon the total population estimates of two resident island birds.
- Scott, J. Michael; Ralph, C. John. 1981. Introduction.
- Ralph, C. John. 1981. Terminology used in estimating number of birds.
- Atkinson, Carter T.; Ralph, C. John. 1980. Acquisition of plumage polymorphism in white-throated sparrows.
- Ralph, C. John; Mewaldt, L. Richard. 1976. Homing success in wintering sparrows.
- Ralph, C. John. 1976. Standardization of mist net captures for quantification of avian migration.
- Robert, Henry C.; Ralph, C. John. 1975. Effects of human disturbance on the breeding success of gulls.
- Ralph, C. John; Mewaldt, L. Richard. 1975. Timing of site fixation upon the wintering grounds in sparrows.
- Ralph, C. John. 1971. An age differential of migrants in coastal California.
- Ralph, C. John; Pearson, Carol A. 1971. Correlation of age, size of territory, plumage, and breeding success in White-crowned sparrows.
- Ralph, C. John; Ralph, Clement L. 1958. Notes on the nesting of egrets near San Rafael, California.
|Monitoring Network Saves Wealth of Data on American Bird Populations|
Network archives data sets to address future large-scale conservation issues