359 Main Road
Contact Leila Pinchot
Importance of site quality to long-term growth, survival and blight-resistance of backcross American chestnut
Use of American elm in mixed species plantings to restore degraded riparian ecosystems
Restoration of American elm through breeding
Development of early assay to determine tolerance of American elm to Dutch Elm Disease
Artificial regeneration of northern red oak on xeric sites: effects of family and seedling quality
Restoration of iconic tree species
Biotic and abiotic factors affecting planted seedling establishment success
- The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Phd Natural Resources 2011
- Master of Forestry, Yale School Of Forestry And Environmental Studies Forest Management 2008
- Oberlin College, Bachelor Of Arts Biology 2003
- Society Of American Foresters, Ohio Chapter, Science Advisor (2016 - )
- Forest Stewards Guild, Member Of The Membership And Policy Council (2012 - )
- Society of American Foresters, Member (2005 - )
- The American Chestnut Foundation, Member (2004 - )
Featured Publications & Products
- Clark, Stacy L.; Schlarbaum, Scott E.; Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Anagnostakis, Sandra L.; Saunders, Michael R.; Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa; Schaberg, Paul; McKenna, James; Bard, Jane F.; Berrang, Paul C.; Casey, David M.; Casey, Chris E.; Crane, Barbara; Jackson, Brian D.; Kochenderfer, Jeff D.; MacFarlane, Russ; Makowske, Robert; Miller, Mark D.; Rodrigue, Jason A.; Stelick, Jim; Thornton, Christopher D.; Williamson, Tyler S. 2014. Reintroduction of American Chestnut in the National Forest System.
- Pinchot, Cornelia; Clark, Stacy; Schlarbaum, Scott; Saxton, Arnold; Sung, Shi-Jean; Hebard, Frederick. 2015. Effects of temporal dynamics, nut weight and nut size on growth of American chestnut, Chinese chestnut and backcross generations in a commercial nursery.
- Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Schlarbaum, Scott E.; Franklin, Jennifer A.; Buckley, David S.; Clark, Stacy L.; Schweitzer, Callie J.; Saxton, Arnold M.; Hebard, Frederick V. 2012. Early results of a chestnut planting in eastern Kentucky illustrate reintroduction challenges.
- Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Schlarbaum, Scott E.; Saxton, Arnold M.; Clark, Stacy L.; Schweitzer, Callie J.; Smith, David R.; Mangini, Alex; Hebard, Frederick V. 2011. Incidence of Craesus castaneae (Hymenoptera: Tenthredinidae) on Chestnut Seedlings Planted in the Daniel Boone National Forest, Kentucky.
- Morgan, Quinn ; Johnstone-Yellin, Tamara L.; Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Peters, Matthew ; Royo, Alejandro A. 2019. Partitioning and predicting forage biomass from total aboveground biomass of regenerating tree species using dimensional analyses.
- Royo, Alejandro A.; Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Stanovick, John S.; Stout, Susan L. 2019. Timing is Not Everything: Assessing the Efficacy of Pre- Versus Post-Harvest Herbicide Applications in Mitigating the Burgeoning Birch Phenomenon in Regenerating Hardwood Stands.
- Pinchot, Cornelia ; Hall, Thomas ; Saxton, Arnold ; Schlarbaum, Scott ; Bailey, James . 2018. Effects of Seedling Quality and Family on Performance of Northern Red Oak Seedlings on a Xeric Upland Site.
- Knight, Kathleen S.; Haugen, Linda M.; Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Schaberg, Paul G.; Slavicek, James M. 2017. American elm (Ulmus americana) in restoration plantings: a review.
- Flower, Charles E.; Slavicek, James M.; Lesser, Dale; Eshita, Steven; Pinchot, Cornelia C. 2017. Canopy decline assessment in American elm after inoculation with different doses of Ophiostoma ulmi and O. novo-ulmi.
- Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Hall, Thomas J.; Schlarbaum, Scott E.; Saxton, Arnold M.; Bailey, James. 2017. Establishing northern red oak on a degraded upland site in northeastern Pennsylvania: Influence of seedling pedigree and quality.
- Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Schlarbaum, Scott E.; Clark, Stacy L.; Saxton, Arnold M.; Sharp, Ami M.; Schweitzer, Callie J.; Hebard, Frederick V. 2017. Growth, survival, and competitive ability of chestnut (Castanea Mill.) seedlings planted across a gradient of light levels.
- Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Haugen, Linda M.; Flower, Charles E.; Slavicek, James M., eds. 2017. Proceedings of the American elm restoration workshop 2016.
- Flower, Charles E.; Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Slavicek, James M. 2017. Restoring ecosystem resilience to urban forests using Dutch elm disease-tolerant American elm trees.
- Pinchot, Leila. 2014. American chestnut: A test case for genetic engineering.
- Anagnostakis, S.L.; Pinchot, C.C. 2014. Restoration of chestnuts as a timber crop in Connecticut.
|An American Chestnut Hybrid May Survive in Nature if Properly Situated|
A team of scientists from the Forest Service, the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, and the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, is ...
|Elm Disease Resistance Research Gets a Boost|
Great news for disease-tolerant American elm! A grant from The Manton Foundation has provided the Forest Service’s Northern Research Station w ...
|Forest Service moves American elm tree a big step closer to landscape restoration|
Over the past several decades, mature American elm trees have virtually disappeared from city streets and eastern forests as a result of Dutch e ...
|Forest Service scientists develop a cold-hardy American elm tree|
Dutch elm disease largely eradicated mature elm trees from the eastern U.S. in the 1900s. Forest Service scientists are working to create site-a ...
|Getting Reacquainted with an Old Friend|
Forest Service scientists investigate site factors that will boost success rates in hybrid American chestnut plantings in forests. This will hel ...
|Reintroducing the American chestnut tree begins with getting the light right|
As efforts to breed a blight-resistant American chestnut tree progress, the Forest Service and its partners are researching how to reintroduce t ...