Christopher Adam Senalik
Research General Engineer
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Contact Christopher Adam Senalik
Evaluating new nondestructive-evaluation methodologies for assessment of covered timber bridges.
Remote monitoring of geotextile reinforced soil integrated bridge systems
Evaluation of new, lightweight bridge superstructures for covered timber bridges.
Nondestructive evaluation of structures.
Acousto-Ultrasonic Inspection and Finite Difference Time Domain Simulation
Detection and Assessment of Wood Decay – Glulam Beams and Wooden Utility Poles
Why This Research is Important
Infrastructure of the Unites States is of grave concern. Nondestructive evaluation allows for assessment of our roads, bridges, utility poles, and other structures without changing their condition. Better evaluation tools allow engineers to make more informed decisions regarding where to spend limited funds to best meet demands.
Beyond repair and maintenance, new bridge superstructure designs for bridges can potentially increase the load capacity of exisiting bridges. In this way, we can enjoy the beauty of our historic timber bridges, and insure they are up to the task of supporting modern vehicles and traffic loads.
- Research General Engineer, Forest Products Laboratory
2013 - Current
Testing and analysis of experimental lightweight sawn timber and glue laminated (glulam) bridge decks. Evaluating the effectiveness of nondestructive testing tools traditionally used on concrete and steel to assess wood structure.
- Project Advisor, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
2013 - 2013
Project advisor for the design group which designed a countertop ironing board which reduced production cost by over 45%.
- Teaching Assistant, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
2006 - 2012
Provided instruction in the areas of control systems, statistical analysis, and instrumentation and testing of material properties.
- Forensic Engineer, Ruhl Forensic, Inc.
1998 - 2005
Responded 24/7/365 for forensic inspections nationwide. Provided results of findings as reports and courtroom testimony.
- Project Advisor, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
2001 - 2001
Project advisor for design group with designed new in-line industrial water gun which reused over 30% of parts from their existing production lines.
- Research Assistant, U.S. Army Construction Engineering Research Lab, Champaign, IL
1997 - 1999
Constructed test plan for experimental water abatement systems.
- Wu, Xi ; Senalik, Christopher Adam; Wacker, James P.; Wang, Xiping ; Li, Guanghui . 2020. Ground-Penetrating Radar Investigation of Salvaged Timber Girders from Bridges Along Route 66 in California.
- Wu, Xi ; Senalik, Christopher Adam; Wacker, James ; Wang, Xiping ; Li, Guanghui . 2020. Object detection of ground-penetrating radar signals using empirical mode decomposition and dynamic time warping.
- Franca, Frederico ; Senalik, C. Adam; Seale, R. Daniel; Ross, Robert R.; Shmulsky, Rubin . 2019. Comparing idealized acoustic wave behavior to that observed in clear wood and lumber.
- Senalik, Christopher Adam; Wacker, James ; Wang, Xiping ; Wu, Xi . 2019. Identifying incipient decay in Douglas-fir bridge components using x-ray computerized tomography.
- As, Nusret ; Ross, Robert J.; Wang, Xiping ; Senalik, Christopher Adam. 2019. Nondestructive evaluation of tensile properties of structural lumber from the spruce-pine-fir species grouping: phase 1 evaluation of modulus of elasticity.
- Wu, Xi; Senalik, Christopher Adam; Wacker, James ; Wang, Xiping ; Li, Guanghui . 2019. Using ground penetrating radar to classify features within structural timbers.
- McDonald, Dwight E.; Begel, Marshall ; Senalik, C. Adam; Williamson, Thomas . 2018. Evaluation of creep performance of structural insulated panels (SIPs): phase 2.
- Ross, Robert J.; Wang, Xiping ; Senalik, C. Adam. 2018. Nondestructive assessment of wood members in a viewing tower in Potawatomi State Park, Door County, Wisconsin, USA.
- Falk, Robert H.; Bridwell, James J.; Senalik, C. Adam; Begel, Marshall. 2018. Residential tornado safe room from commodity wood products impact and wind pressure testing.
- Senalik, C. Adam; Ross, Robert J.; Zelinka, Samuel L.; Lebow, Stan T.; Cai, Zhiyong. 2017. Accelerated aging of preservative-treated structural plywood.
- Senalik, C. Adam; Wacker, James P.; Wang, Xiping ; Rodrigues, Brunella Pollastrelli; Jalinoos, Frank . 2017. Assessing ability of ground-penetrating radar to detect internal moisture and fungal decay in Douglas-fir beams.
- Senalik, C. Adam; Zhou, Lujing ; Ross, Robert J. 2017. Assessment of deterioration in timbers with time and frequency domain analysis techniques.
- Ross, Robert J.; Wang, Xiping; Senalik, C. Adam; Allison, R. Bruce; Zhou, Lujing. 2017. Nondestructive assessment of wood members from a historic viewing tower.
- Senalik, Adam; Wacker, James P.; Hosteng, Travis K.; Hermanson, John. 2017. Smart timber bridge on geosynthetic reinforced soil (GRS) abutments.
- Senalik, Christopher Adam; Wacker, James; Wang, Xiping; Jalinoos, F. 2016. Assessing the Ability of Ground-Penetrating Radar to Detect Fungal Decay in Douglas-Fir Beams.
- Wacker, James P.; Senalik, Christopher Adam; Wang, Xiping; Jalinoos, Frank. 2016. Effectiveness of Several NDE Technologies in Detecting Moisture Pockets and: Artificial Defects in Sawn Timber and Glulam.
- Wang, Xiping; Senalik, Christopher Adam; Ross, Robert; Bennett, Neal; Conner, Debbie. 2016. Effects of cedar oil and silica gel treatment on dimensional stability and mechanical properties of Southern Yellow Pine boards.
- Senalik, Christopher Adam; Ross, Robert J. 2015. Predicting Plywood Properties with Wood-based Composite Models.
- Senalik, Christopher Adam; Ross, Robert J.; DeGroot, Rodney. 2015. Ultrasound Transmission Times in Biologically Deteriorated Wood.
- McDonald, Dwight, E..; Begel, Marshall; Senalik, C. Adam; Ross, Robert; Skaggs, Thomas D.; Yeh, Borjen; Williamson, Thomas. 2014. Creep Behavior of Structural Insulated Panels (SIPS): Results from a Pilot Study.
- Senalik, Adam C.; Schueneman, Greg; Ross, Robert J. 2014. Ultrasonic-Based Nondestructive Evaluation Methods for Wood: A Primer and Historical Review.
- Senalik, C. Adam. 2013. Detection and Assessment of Wood Decay in Glulam Beams Using a Decay Rate Approach: A Review.
- McGovern, Megan; Senalik, Adam; Chen, George; Beall, Frank C.; Reis, Henrique. 2013. Effect of Decay on Ultrasonic Velocity and Attenuation Measurements in Wood.
|A residential tornado safe room from commodity wood products|
Forest Service researchers designed a tornado safe room to be constructed from commodity wood building products and adaptable to existing homes.
|Assessing the ability of ground-penetrating radar to detect internal moisture and fungal decay|
Internal moisture and fungal decay are detected in structural bridge members using ground penetrating radar for faster evaluation of timber brid ...
|Blast-Resistant Testing for Loaded Mass Timber Structures|
The ability of cross laminated timbers to resist nearby detonations is verified through blast testing.
|Nondestructive Assessment of Wood Members in a Viewing Tower in Potawatomi State Park, Door County, Wisconsin, USA|
USDA Forest Service scientists assessed the condition of a historic observation tower to determine if it could be enjoyed safely.
|Scientists Develop New Tool to Detect Internal Decay in Trees|
Through collaboration with an industrial partner, the Forest Service’s Forest Products Laboratory helped develop a handheld tool to assist tre ...
|Smart timber bridge on geo-synthetic reinforced soil abutments|
Forest Service researchers partnered in the construction and monitoring of an innovative bridge abutment system, developed to be lower cost and ...