Charles E. Flower
359 Main Road
Contact Charles E. Flower
- University of Illinois at Chicago, Ph.D. Biological Sciences NSF IGERT: Landscape, Ecological, and Anthropogeic Processes 2013
- The Ohio State University, M.S. Ecology, Evolution and Organismal Biology Graduate Minor in Environment and Natural Resources (Forestry) 2007
- Lake Forest College, B.A. Biology and History Minor: Classical Studies 2004
Featured Publications & Products
- Flower, Charles E.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Gonzalez-Meler, Miquel. 2013. Impacts of the emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire) induced ash (Fraxinus spp.) mortality on forest carbon cycling and successional dynamics in the eastern United States.
- Flower, Charles E.; Long, Lawrence C.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Rebbeck, Joanne; Brown, Joel S.; Gonzalez-Meler, Miquel A.; Whelan, Christopher J. 2014. Native bark-foraging birds preferentially forage in infected ash (Fraxinus spp.) and prove effective predators of the invasive emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire).
- Flower, Charles E.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Rebbeck, Joanne; Gonzalez-Meler, Miquel A. 2013. The relationship between the emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis) and ash (Fraxinus spp.) tree decline: Using visual canopy condition assessments and leaf isotope measurements to assess pest damage.
- Knight, Kathleen S.; Flower, Charles E.; Nelson, Mark D.. 2019. A Forest Death in Three Acts: From Woodpeckers to Water, the Emerald Ash Borer's Effects are Widespread.
- Flower, Charles E.; Dalton, Jennifer E.; Whelan, Christopher J.; Brown, Joel S.; Gonzalez-Meler, Miquel A. 2019. Patch use in the arctic ground squirrel: effects of micro-topography and shrub encroachment in the Arctic Circle.
- Flower, Charles E.; Lynch, Douglas J.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Gonzalez-Meler, Miquel A. . 2018. Biotic and Abiotic Drivers of Sap Flux in Mature Green Ash Trees (Fraxinus pennsylvanica) Experiencing Varying Levels of Emerald Ash Borer (Agrilus planipennis) Infestation.
- Ricketts, Michael P.; Flower, Charles E.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Gonzalez-Meler, Miquel A. 2018. Evidence of Ash Tree (Fraxinus spp.) Specific Associations with Soil Bacterial Community Structure and Functional Capacity.
- Flower, Charles; Fant, Jeremie; Hoban, Sean; Knight, Kathleen; Steger, Laura; Aubihl, Elijah; Gonzalez-Meler, Miquel; Forry, Stephen; Hille, Andrea; Royo, Alejandro. 2018. Optimizing conservation strategies for a threatened tree species: In situ conservation of white ash (Fraxinus americana L.) genetic diversity through insecticide treatment.
- Flower, Charles E.; Aubihl, Elijah; Fant, Jeremie; Forry, Stephen; Hille, Andrea; Knight, Kathleen S.; Oldland, William K.; Royo, Alejandro A.; Turcotte, Richard M. 2017. In-situ genetic conservation of white ash (Fraxinus americana) at the Allegheny national forest.
- Flower, Charles E.; Slavicek, James M.; Lesser, Dale; Eshita, Steven; Pinchot, Cornelia C. 2017. Canopy decline assessment in American elm after inoculation with different doses of Ophiostoma ulmi and O. novo-ulmi.
- Pinchot, C.C.; Flower, C.E.; Knight, K.S.; Marks, C.; Minocha, R.; Lesser, D.; Woeste, K.; Schaberg, P.G.; Baldwin, B.; Delatte, D.M.; Fox, T.D.; Hayes-Plazolles, N.; Held, B.; Lehtoma, K.; Long, S.; Mattix, S.; Sipes, A.; Slavicek, J.M. 2017. Development of new Dutch Elm disease-tolerant selections for restoration of the American Elm in urban and forested landscapes.
- Costilow, K.C.; Knight, Kathleen; Flower, Charles. 2017. Disturbance severity and canopy position control the radial growth response of maple trees (Acer spp.) in forests of northwest Ohio impacted by emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis).
- Flower, Charles E.; Hayes-Plazolles, Nancy; Rosa, Cristina; Slavicek, James M. 2017. Elm yellows: a widespread and overlooked killer of elm trees across the United States.
- Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Haugen, Linda M.; Flower, Charles E.; Slavicek, James M., eds. 2017. Proceedings of the American elm restoration workshop 2016.
- Flower, Charles E.; Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Slavicek, James M. 2017. Restoring ecosystem resilience to urban forests using Dutch elm disease-tolerant American elm trees.
- Pinchot, C.C.; Lodge, D.J.; Minocha, R.; Noon, T.W.; D’Amico, V.; Flower, C.; Knight, K.M.; Slavicek, J. 2017. Using American elm in mixed-species plantings to restore above- and below-ground function to degraded riparian buffers.
- Flower, Charles E.; Dalton, Jennifer E.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Brikha, Marie; Gonzalez-Meler, Miquel A. 2015. To treat or not to treat: Diminishing effectiveness of emamectin benzoate tree injections in ash trees heavily infested by emerald ash borer.
- Knight, Kathleen S.; Flash, Britton P.; Kappler, Rachel H.; Throckmorton, Joel A.; Grafton, Bernadette; Flower, Charles E. 2014. Monitoring ash (Fraxinus spp.) decline and emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis) symptoms in infested areas.
- Flower, Charles E.; Lynch, Douglas J.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Gonzales-Meler, Miquel A. 2011. EAB induced tree mortality impacts ecosystem respiration and tree water use in an experimental forest.
|Elm Disease Resistance Research Gets a Boost|
Great news for disease-tolerant American elm! A grant from The Manton Foundation has provided the Forest Service’s Northern Research Station w ...
|Forest Service moves American elm tree a big step closer to landscape restoration|
Over the past several decades, mature American elm trees have virtually disappeared from city streets and eastern forests as a result of Dutch e ...
|Forest Service scientists develop a cold-hardy American elm tree|
Dutch elm disease largely eradicated mature elm trees from the eastern U.S. in the 1900s. Forest Service scientists are working to create site-a ...
|Genetic Information on Ash Informs Treatments for Emerald Ash Borer |
Forest managers can use insecticide treatments to protect ash trees from emerald ash borer to conserve the genetic diversity of ash. But which t ...
|Identification of a clover proliferation group phytoplasma as the probable cause of American elm Ttee mortality|
Forest Service scientists observed premature canopy decline symptoms in elm trees within their research plantations in midsummer 2016. They attr ...
|Understanding Long-Term Impacts of an Invasive, Tree-Killing Pest|
The emerald ash borer has been killing ash trees in the United States for more than two decades. What does that mean for ash populations and the ...
|Understanding effects of emerald ash borer on forests|
As the invasive emerald ash borer swept across Ohio, Forest Service researchers tracked its aftermath as killed ash trees unleashed a cascade of ...