Colin C. Hardy
5775 US West Highway 10
Contact Colin C. Hardy
I am the Program Manager for the Fire, Fuel, and Smoke Science Program. I am neither able, nor is it appropriate, for me to commit much of my time to research at this time. However, my research focus remains thermal infrared remote sensing, and I am managing several agreeemnts with others to continue the Program's momentum in this area.
Thermal infrared (TIR) remote sensing of fire and the combustion process is my research area of interest.
The science of remote sensing for fire is still laregly unexplored. Many are applying TIR remote sensing strategies in fire research, but few have quantified or acknoweldeged the many constraints and conditions under which it is simply not appropriate. My interest focuses on the efficacy of both field and lab-based applications of TIR remote sensing.
Why This Research is Important
My dissertation work focused on TIR remote sensing of geothermal features. Such feature provided a relatively stable (temporally and spatially) target with which to explore the efficacy of TIR remotes sensing. Other past research not related to TIR remote sensing includes leadership in the development of the national spatial data for Fire Regime Condition Class. Prior to that, I worked in, and ultimately managed field cahracterization of smoke chemistry, providing emissions factors and source strength models for air quality management, including lead compiler for the NWCG 2001 National smoke management guide for prescrtibed and wildland fires.
- University of Montana, Missoula, B.S. Resource Conservation 1977
- University of Washington, M.S. Forest Resource Management 1983
- University of Montana, Missoula, Ph.D. Forestry 2005
Featured Publications & Products
- Lentile, Leigh; Morgan, Penny; Hardy, Colin; Hudak, Andrew; Means, Robert; Ottmar, Roger; Robichaud, Peter; Sutherland, Elaine; Way, Frederick; Lewis, Sarah. 2007. Lessons learned from Rapid Response Research on wildland fires.
- Hardy, Colin C.; Hardy, Charles E. 2007. Fire danger rating in the United States of America: An evolution since 1916.
- Hardy, Colin C.; Smith, Helen Y.; McCaughey, Ward. 2006. The Use of Silviculture and Prescribed Fire to Manage Stand Structure and Fuel Profiles in a Multi-aged Lodgepole Pine Forest.
- Schmidt, Kirsten M.; Menakis, James P.; Hardy, Colin C.; Hann, Wendall J.; Bunnell, David L. 2002. Development of coarse-scale spatial data for wildland fire and fuel management.
- Hardy, Colin C.; Ottmar, Roger D.; Peterson, Janice L; Core, John E.; Seamon, Paula, eds. 2001. Smoke management guide for prescribed and wildland fire: 2001 edition..
- Hardy, Colin C.; Peterson, Janice L. 2018. Forward.
- Hall, John A.; Steblein, Paul F.; Hardy, Colin C. 2018. Living with wildland fire in America: Building new bridges between policy, science and management.
- Hudak, Andrew T.; Freeborn, Patrick H.; Lewis, Sarah A.; Hood, Sharon M.; Smith, Helen Y.; Hardy, Colin C.; Kremens, Robert J.; Butler, Bret W.; Teske, Casey; Tissell, Robert G.; Queen, Lloyd P.; Nordgren, Bryce L.; Bright, Benjamin C.; Morgan, Penelope; Riggan, Philip J.; Macholz, Lee; Lentile, Leigh B.; Riddering, James P.; Mathews, Edward E. 2018. The Cooney Ridge Fire Experiment: An early operation to relate pre-, active, and post-fire field and remotely sensed measurements.
- Heinsch, Faith Ann; McHugh, Charles W.; Hardy, Colin C. 2016. Fire, Fuel, and Smoke Science Program 2015 Research Accomplishments.
- Peterson, David L.; Hardy, Colin C. 2016. The RxCADRE study: A new approach to interdisciplinary fire research.
- Heinsch, Faith Ann; Innes, Robin J.; Hardy, Colin C.; Lee, Kristine M. 2015. Fire, Fuel, and Smoke Program: 2014 Research Accomplishments.
- Heinsch, Faith Ann; Innes, Robin J.; Hardy, Colin C.; Lee, Kristine M. 2014. Fire, Fuel, and Smoke Science Program: 2013 Research accomplishments.
- Graham, Russell T.; Jain, Theresa B.; Graham, Kathy L.; Denner, Robert; Hardy, Colin. 2014. One-hundred years of wildfire research: A legacy of the Priest River, Deception Creek, and Boise Basin Experimental Forests of Idaho Chapter 21.
- Sommers, William T.; Loehman, Rachel A.; Hardy, Colin C. 2014. Wildland fire emissions, carbon, and climate: Science overview and knowledge needs.
- Lutes, Duncan C.; Hardy, Colin C. 2013. Lodgepole pine bole wood density 1 and 11 years after felling in central Montana.
- Smith, Diane M.; Hardy, Colin C. 2012. Fire, Fuel, and Smoke Science Program: 2012 Research Accomplishments.
- Mason, Larry; White, Germaine; Morishima, Gary; Alvarado, Ernesto; Andrew, Louise; Clark, Fred; Durglo, Mike, Sr..; Durglo, Jim; Eneas, John; Erickson, Jim; Friedlander, Margaret; Hamel, Kathy; Hardy, Colin; Harwood, Tony; Haven, Faline; Isaac, Everett; James, Laurel; Kenning, Robert; Leighton, Adrian; Pierre, Pat; Raish, Carol; Shaw, Bodie; Smallsalmon, Steven; Stearns, Vernon; Teasley, Howard; Weingart, Matt; Wilder, Spus. 2012. Listening and learning from traditional knowledge and western science: A dialogue on contemporary challenges of forest health and wildfire.
- Smith, Jane Kapler; Smith, Diane; Hardy, Colin. 2011. 50 years of service: The Missoula Fire Sciences Lab.
- Hardy, Colin C.; Kremens, Robert; Dickinson, Matthew B. 2010. Modern developments for ground-based monitoring of fire behavior and effects.
- Ryan, Kevin C.; Gallagher, Susan; Hardy, Colin; Smith, Diane. 2010. Still hot at 50.
- Lentile, L.; Morgan, P.; Hardy, C.; Hudak, A.; Means, R.; Ottmar, R.; Robichaud, P.; Sutherland, E. Kennedy; Szymoniak, J.; Way, F.; Fites-Kaufman, J.; Lewis, S.; Mathews, E.; Shovik, H.; Ryan, K. 2007. Value and challenges of conducting rapid response research on wildland fires.
- Hardy, Colin C.; Keane, Robert E.; Harrington, Michael G. 2000. Associated riparian communities.
- Hardy, Colin C.; Keane, Robert E.; Stewart, Catherine A. 2000. Ecosystem-based management in the lodgepole pine zone.
- Canton-Thompson, Janie; Smith, Jane Kapler; Jones, Greg; Brown, Perry J.; Arno, Stephen F.; Daniels, Orville L.; Burk, Dale A.; Hardy, Colin C.; Silvieus, Dave; Pflug, Kristi D.; Winhorst, Bruce; Thompson, Brooke; Ortega, Yvette K.; McKelvey, Kevin S.; Thompson, Tom; Pearson, Dean E.; Stewart, Cathy; Sullivan, Janet. 1999. ECO-Report - 1999 Symposium highlights five years of learning.
- Burgan, Robert; Hardy, Colin; Ohlen, Donald; Fosnight, Gene; Treder, Robert. 1999. Ground sample data for the Conterminous U.S. Land Cover Characteristics Database.
- Sandberg, David V.; Hardy, Colin C.; Ottmar, Roger D.; Snell, J.A. Kendall; Acheson, Ann; Peterson, Janice L.; Seamon, Paula; Lahm, Peter; Wade, Dale. 1999. National strategic plan: modeling and data systems for wildland fire and air quality..
- Hardy, Colin C. 1999. On the move: Recent happenings in vegetation research.
- Hardy, Colin C. 1998. Guidelines for estimating volume, biomass, and smoke production for piled slash..
- Hardy, Colin C.; Reinhardt, Elizabeth D. 1998. Modeling effects of prescribed fire on wildlife habitat: Stand structure, snag recruitment and coarse woody debris.
- Hardy, Colin C.; McCaughey, Ward W. 1997. Restoring fire in lodgepole pine forests of the Intermountain west.
- Smith, Jane Kapler; Sullivan, Janet; Carlson, Clinton E.; Lyon, L. Jack; Tewksbury, J.; Hejl, S.; Martin, T.; Arno, Stephen F.; McCaughey, Ward; Stewart, Cathy; Hardy, Colin; Jones, J. Greg; Kempf, Madelyn; Weldon, Leslie. 1996. ECO-Report - Halfway home.
- Hardy, Colin C.; Regelbrugge, Jon C.; Teesdale, David R. 1996. Smoke emissions from prescribed burning of southern California chaparral..
- Hardy, Colin C.; Arno, Stephen F., eds. 1996. The use of fire in forest restoration.
- Einfeld, Wayne; Ward, Darold E.; Hardy, Colin. 1991. Effects of fire behavior on prescribed fire smoke characteristics: A case study Chapter 50.
- Ottmar, Roger D.; Hardy, Colin C.; Vihnanek, Robert E. 1990. Stereo photo series for quantifying forest residues in the Douglas-Fir-Hemlock type of the Willamette National Forest..
|Whitebark Pine Management Guide Published|
Don't expect the Clark's nutcracker, a jay-size bird named for the Lewis and Clark expedition's William Clark, to save the declining whitebark p ...