Bruce G. Marcot
Research Wildlife Biologist
620 SW Main, Suite 400
620 SW Main St., Suite 400
Contact Bruce G. Marcot
My current research involves assessing and modeling the effects of future climate change and stressors on at-risk species, including the polar bear, northern spotted owl, Pacific walrus, and other high-latitude wildlife species. I am also developing and applying structured decision-aiding models and methods for informing listing decisions and threats evaluations of at-risk species and injurious invasive species; assessing causes and effects of sea level rise on coastal marshes; modeling the influence of alternative old-forest reserve designs on the viability of northern spotted owls; and developing new ways to bridge ecological and cultural values of subsistence resources used by indigenous peoples of southeast Alaska. I am also continuing studies on potential effects of climate change on the ecological and cultural functions of tree species in northeast India.
Applied science research and technology development and application projects dealing with old-forest ecology, modeling of rare and little-known species, biodiversity assessment, ecologically sustainable forest management, development of a research framework on key ecological functions of plants and animals.
My past studies have included field research of bird communities in young and mature Douglas-fir forests of Klamath Mountains, California; field research on lichens, mosses, vascular plants, and invertebrates of old-forest remnants, forest plantations, grazed and ungrazed riparian areas, and recent forest fires in the southern Washington Cascades and eastern Oregon (the Old Forest Remnants Study); analysis of vocalizations of the African Wood Owl throughout Africa (potentially identifying at least a new subspecies of owl); and developing new analysis methods for determining age class of martens from non-invasive samples.
Why This Research is Important
Collectively, my research provides empirical, theoretical, and modeling approaches to a variety of questions pertaining to at-risk species conservation.
- Oregon State University, Ph.D. Wildlife Science 1984
- Natural Resources Science, M.S. Humboldt State University 1978
- Natural Resources Planning, B.S. Humboldt State University 1977
- College of the Redwoods, A.A. Biology 1975
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Hoff, Michael H.; Martin, Craig D.; Jewell, Susan D.; Givens, Carrie E. 2019. A decision support system for identifying potentially invasive and injurious freshwater fishes.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Penman, Trent D. 2019. Advances in Bayesian network modelling: Integration of modelling technologies.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Reynolds, Keith M. 2019. EMDS has a GeNIe with a SMILE.
- Spies, Thomas ; Long, Jonathan ; Charnley, Susan ; Hessburg, Paul ; Marcot, Bruce ; Reeves, Gordon ; Lesmeister, Damon ; Reilly, Matthew ; Cerveny, Lee ; Stine, Peter ; Raphael, Martin G. 2019. Twenty five years of the Northwest Forest Plan: what have we learned.
- Spies, Thomas A.; Long, Jonathan W.; Stine, Peter ; Charnley, Susan ; Cerveny, Lee ; Marcot, Bruce G.; Reeves, Gordon ; Hessburg, Paul F.; Lesmeister, Damon ; Reilly, Matthew J.; Raphael, Martin G.; Davis, Raymond J. 2018. Chapter 12: Integrating ecological and social science to inform land management in the area of the northwest forest plan.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Pope, Karen L.; Slauson, Keith ; Welsh, Hartwell H.; Wheeler, Clara A.; Reilly, Matthew J.; Zielinski, William J. 2018. Chapter 6: Other species and biodiversity of older forests.
- Wiest, Whitney A.; Correll, Maureen D.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Olsen, Brian J.; Elphick, Chris S.; Hodgman, Thomas P.; Guntenspergen, Glenn R.; Shriver, W. Gregory. 2018. Estimates of tidal-marsh bird densities using Bayesian networks.
- Marcot, Bruce G. 2017. A review of the role of fungi in wood decay of forest ecosystems.
- Marcot, Bruce G. 2017. Common quandaries and their practical solutions in Bayesian network modeling.
- Marcot, Bruce G. 2017. Ecosystem processes related to wood decay.
- Havron, Andrea; Goldfinger, Chris; Henkel, Sarah; Marcot, Bruce G.; Romsos, Chris; Gilbane, Lisa. 2017. Mapping marine habitat suitability and uncertainty of Bayesian networks: a case study using Pacific benthic macrofauna.
- Pawson, Stephen M.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Woodberry, Owen G. 2017. Predicting forest insect flight activity: A Bayesian network approach.
- Kumar, Ashish; Marcot, Bruce; Patel, Rohitkumar. 2017. Tropical forests and fragmentation: A case of South Garo Hills, Meghalaya, North East India.
- Kumar, Ashish; Marcot, Bruce G.; Patel, Rohitkumar. 2017. Wildlife conservation in fragmented tropical forests: A case of South Garo Hills, Meghalaya, North East India.
- Vizcarra, Natasha; Marcot, Bruce. 2016. Big changes in cold places: the future of wildlife habitat in northwest Alaska.
- Atwood, Todd C.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Douglas, David C.; Amstrup, Steven C.; Rode, Karyn D.; Durner, George M.; Bromaghin, Jeffrey F. 2016. Forecasting the relative influence of environmental and anthropogenic stressors on polar bears.
- Fortin, Jennifer K.; Rode, Karyn D.; Hilderbrand, Grant V.; Wilder, Jim; Farley, Sean; Jorgensen, Carole; Marcot, Bruce G. 2016. Impacts of Human Recreation on Brown Bears (Ursus arctos): A Review and New Management Tool.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Thompson, Matthew P.; Bonnot, Thomas W.; Thompson, Frank R. 2016. Uncertainty is information, too.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Singleton, Peter H.; Schumaker, Nathan H. 2015. Analysis of sensitivity and uncertainty in an individual-based model of a threatened wildlife species.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Elbert, Daniel C. 2015. Assessing management of raptor predation management for snowy plover recovery.
- Jorgenson, Mark Torre; Marcot, Bruce G.; Swanson, David K.; Jorgenson, Janet C.; DeGange, Anthony R. 2015. Projected changes in diverse ecosystems from climate warming and biophysical drivers in northwest Alaska.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Jorgenson, M.Torre; Lawler, James P.; Handel, Colleen M.; DeGange, Anthony R. 2015. Projected changes in wildlife habitats in Arctic natural areas of northwest Alaska.
- Dunk, Jeffrey R.; Woodbridge, Brian; Glenn, Elizabeth M.; Davis, Raymond J.; Fitzgerald, Katherine; Henson, Paul; LaPlante, David W.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Noon, Barry R.; Raphael, Martin G.; Schumaker, Nathan H.; White, Brendan. 2015. The scientific basis for modeling Northern Spotted Owl habitat: A response to Loehle, Irwin, Manly, and Merrill.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Jorgenson, M. Torre; DeGange, Anthony R. 2014. Low-altitude photographic transects of the Arctic network of national park units and Selawik National Wildlife Refuge, Alaska, July 2013.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Raphael, Martin G.; Schumaker, Nathan H.; Galleher, Beth. 2013. How big and how close Habitat patch size and spacing to conserve a threatened species.
- DeGange, Anthony R.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Lawler, James; Jorgenson, Torre; Winfree, Robert. 2013. Predicting the effects of climate change on ecosystems and wildlife habitat in northwest Alaska: results from the WildCast project.
- Thompson, Matthew P.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Thompson, Frank R.; McNulty, Steven; Fisher, Larry A.; Runge, Michael C.; Cleaves, David; Tomosy, Monica. 2013. The science of decisionmaking: applications for sustainable forest and grassland management in the National Forest System.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Allen, Chris S.; Morey, Steve; Shively, Dan; White, Rollie. 2012. An expert panel approach to assessing potential effects of bull trout reintroduction on federally listed salmonids in the Clackamas River, Oregon.
- Kumar, Ashish; Marcot, Bruce G.; Talukdar, Gautam; Roy, P.S. 2012. Application of geoinformatics for landscape assessment and conserving forest biodiversity in northeast India.
- Marcot, Bruce G. 2012. Metrics for evaluating performance and uncertainty of Bayesian network models.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Thompson, Matthew P.; Runge, Michael C.; Thompson, Frank R.; McNulty, Steven; Cleaves, David; Tomosy, Monica; Fisher, Larry A.; Bliss, Andrew. 2012. Recent advances in applying decision science to managing national forests.
- Molina, Randy; Horton, Thomas R.; Trappe, James M.; Marcot, Bruce G. 2011. Addressing uncertainty: how to conserve and manage rare or little-known fungi.
- Pauli, Jonathan N.; Whiteman, John P.; Marcot, Bruce G.; McClean, Terry M.; Ben-David, Merav. 2011. DNA-based approach to aging martens (Martes americana and M. caurina).
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Kumar, Ashish; Talukdar, G.; Srivastava, A.K. 2011. Habitat relationships of Asian elephants in shifting-cultivation landscapes of Meghalaya, Northeast India.
- Jay, Chadwick V.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Douglas, David C. 2011. Projected status of the Pacific walrus (Odobenus rosmarus divergens) in the twenty-first century.
- Kumar, A.; Marcot, Bruce; Talukdar, G. 2010. Designing a protected area network for conservation planning in Jhum landscapes of Garo Hills, Meghalaya.
- Amstrup, Steven C.; DeWeaver, Eric T.; Douglas, David C.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Durner, George M.; Bitz, Cecilia M.; Bailey, David A. 2010. Greenhouse gas mitigation can reduce sea-ice loss and increase polar bear persistence.
- Kumar, Ashish; Marcot, Bruce G. 2010. Key tiger habitats in the Garo Hills of Meghalaya.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Ohmann, Janet L.; Mellen-McLean, Kim L.; Waddell, Karen L. 2010. Synthesis of regional wildlife and vegetation field studies to guide management of standing and down dead trees.
- Amstrup, Steven C.; Caswell, Hal; DeWeaver, Eric; Stirling, Ian; Douglas, David C.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Hunter, Christine M. 2009. Rebuttal of "Polar bear population forecasts: a public-policy forecasting audit".
- Thompson, Jonathan; Raphael, Martin; Molina, Randy; Marcot, Bruce; Olson, Deanna. 2008. Conservation of biological diversity: all things considered.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Molina, Randy; Flather, Curtis H.; Holthausen, Richard S.; Johnson, Richard L.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Olson, Deanna H.; Peine, John D.; Sieg, Carolyn Hull; Swanson, Cindy S. 2007. A process for selection and implementation of conservation approaches.
- Amstrup, Steven C.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Douglas, David C. 2007. Forecasting the Range-wide Status of Polar Bears at Selected Times in the 21st Century.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Flather, Curtis H. 2007. Species-level strategies for conserving rare or little-known species Chapter 6.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Sieg, Carolyn Hull. 2007. System-level strategies for conserving rare or little-known species.
- Marcot, Bruce G. 2006. Habitat modeling for biodiversity conservation..
- Molina, Randy; Marcot, Bruce G.; Lesher, Robin. 2006. Protecting rare, old-growth, forest-associated species under the Survey and Manage program guidelines of the northwest forest plan..
- Kumar, Ashish; Marcot, Bruce G.; Roy, P.S. 2006. Spatial patterns and processes for shifting cultivation landscape in Garo Hills, India..
- O'Neil, Thomas A.; Bettinger, Pete; Marcot, Bruce G.; Luscombe, B. Wayne; Koeln, Gregory T.; Bruner, Howard J.; Barrett, Charley; Pollock, Jennifer A.; Bernatas, Susan. 2005. Application of spatial technologies in wildlife biology..
- Marcot, Bruce G. 2005. The ecological and cultural functions of invertebrates in the Congo River basin..
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Gunderson, Grant; Mellen, Kim; Ohmann, Janet L. 2004. DecAID advisor: a tool for managing snags, down wood and wood decay in PNW forests..
- Mellen, Kim; Marcot, Bruce G.; Ohmann, Janet L.; Waddell, Karen; Livingston, Susan A.; Willhite, Elizabeth A.; Hostetler, Bruce B.; Ogden, Catherine; Dreisbach, Tina. 2004. DecAID: the decayed wood advisor for managing snags, partially dead trees, and down wood for biodiversity in the forests of Washington and Oregon..
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Wales, Barbara C.; Demmer, Rick. 2003. Range maps of terrestrial species in the interior Columbia River basin and northern portions of the Klamath and Great Basins..
- Mellen, Kim; Marcot, Bruce G.; Ohmann, Janet L.; Waddell, Karen L.; Willhite, Elizabeth A.; Hostetler, Bruce B.; Livingston, Susan A.; Ogden, Cay. 2002. DecAID: a decaying wood advisory model for Oregon and Washington..
- Cooperrider, Allen; Noss, Reed F.; Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr..; Carroll, Carlos; Zielinski, William; Olson, David; Nelson, S. Kim; Marcot, Bruce G. 2000. Terrestrial fauna of redwood forests.
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Croft, L.K.; Lehmkuhl, J.F.; Naney, R.H.; Niwa, C.G.; Owen, W.R.; Sandquist, R.E. 1998. Macroecology, paleoecology, and ecological integrity of terrestrial species and communities of the interior Columbia basin and northern portions of the Klamath and Great Basins..
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Thomas, Jack Ward. 1997. Of spotted owls, old growth, and new policies: a history since the Interagency Scientific Committee report..
- Marcot, Bruce G. 1997. Research information needs on terrestrial vertebrate species of the interior Columbia basin and northern portions of the Klamath and Great Basins: a research, development, and application database..
- Marcot, Bruce G. 1995. Owls of old forests of the world..
- Marcot, Bruce G.; Wisdom, Michael J.; Li, Hiram W.; Castillo, Gonzalo C. 1994. Managing for featured, threatened, endangered, and sensitive species and unique habitats for ecosystem sustainability..
- Carey, Andrew B.; Castellano, Valen E.; Chappell, Christopher; Kuntz, Robert; Lundquist, Richard W.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Nelson, S. Kim; Sulllivan, Paul; [Technical Compilers]., . 1990. Training guide for bird identification in Pacific Northwest Douglas-fir forests..
|Major Shifts in Wildlife Habitats Projected for the 21st Century in Northwest Alaska Under Changing Climates|
Climate is changing roughly twice as fast in the Arctic than it is further south, thus providing an "early warning system" for impending changes ...