Alexandra (Ali) Freibott
1220 SW 3rd Ave.
Contact Alexandra (Ali) Freibott
I am a trained scientist, writer, and editor that is passionate about science communication and outreach. I am able to use both my research background and writing experience to help other scientists translate their work into engaging content for a variety of audiences. As part of the Communications and Applications Group at the PNW Research Station, I am working with our station scientists to promote and share their science in new and creative ways that will reach a broad audience of resource managers, stakeholders, and the public.
- Science writing and comunications
- Science outreach and education
- Microbial community ecology
- Aquatic ecosystems
My graduate research focused on the ecology and community dynamics of plankton in highly productive, upwelling regions of the Pacific Ocean. Prior to that, I studied plankton ecology and dynamics in the Atlantic Ocean and local reserviors of Arizona. Throughout my time doing research science, I led and participated in a variety of outreach and education programs, did professional writing and editing work, and created and contributed to science blogs. These activities led me to realize that my talents and passion lie in science communication, which I believe is an essential part of successful scientific research.
- UC San Diego, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Ph.D. Oceanography 2017
- UC San Diego, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, M.S. Marine Biology 2013
- Arizona State University, B.S. Biology: Ecology and Evolution 2011
- Mazza, Rhonda ; Freibott, Alexandra (Ali). 2019. 2018 Science Highlights Report of the Pacific Northwest Research Station.
Citations of non US Forest Service Publications
- Freibott, A. (2017). Plankton community composition and grazing in upwelling regions of the Pacific Ocean (Doctoral dissertation, UC San Diego).
Freibott, A., Taylor, A. G., Selph, K. E., Liu, H., Zhang, W., & Landry, M. R. (2015). Biomass and composition of protistan grazers and heterotrophic bacteria in the Costa Rica Dome during summer 2010. Journal of plankton research, 38(2), 230-243.
Taylor, A. G., Landry, M. R., Freibott, A., Selph, K. E., Gutiérrez-Rodríguez, A. (2015). Patterns of microbial community biomass, composition and HPLC diagnostic pigments in the Costa Rica upwelling dome. Journal of Plankton Research, 38(2), 183-198.
Freibott, A., Linacre, L., & Landry, M. R. (2014). A slide preparation technique for light microscopy analysis of ciliates preserved in acid Lugol's fixative. Limnology and Oceanography: Methods, 12(1), 54-62