Operations Research Analyst
1992 Folwell Ave
Contact Stephanie Snyder
One of my current broad areas of research focuses on invasive species. I have several studies with colleagues examining different aspects of how invasive species impact users and owners of forested ecosystems. Specifically, I am studying the behaviors, intentions, attitudes and assistance needs of private forest landowners in Illinois and Indiana with regard to invasive forest plant species. I’m also studying behaviors, intentions, awareness, and information needs of private landowners with regard to invasive insects in the forests of New England. Finally, I’m examining how invasive forest beetles may impact visitor site choice and recreation satisfaction in the Midwest. Drawing from these studies, I am also starting research with loggers, seeking to better understanding the impacts, information and assistance needs, and potential business opportunities that are presented by invasive forest plants. I also am studying adaptation planning strategies by maple syrup producers in the Northwoods of Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin. I also have an active line of research that utilizes data from the National Woodland Owner Survey, a long-term data collection effort for private forest landowners in the U.S. by FIA. My current research with these data is exploring how gender, being an agricultural land owner, or multi-owner ownership arrangements may influence the types of activities that occur on private forest lands. Finally, I am continuing my research to develop optimization decision models to support the agency in awarding contracts for fire-fighting helicopters.
My research has two foci. The first focuses on the development of optimization decision models that provide information useful to land managers in understanding alternatives, consequences, and tradeoffs associated with a range of land management decisions. The goal of my research is helping to facilitate more effective decision-making about how best to balance the host of environmental, social, and economic issues associated with natural resource planning, management, and decision-making. I have developed models to support planning and decision-making for selecting habitat reserve sites, open space land acquisition, scheduling timber harvests, awarding contracts for wildlife fighting equipment, and locating ATV trail corridors. My second research area focuses on private forest landowners, and seeks to understand their values, behaviors, attitudes and responsiveness to assistance, incentive and policy programs. My private forest landowner research has focused on adoption of stewardship practices, carbon market participation, enrollment in assistance programs, and most recently, implementation of invasive forest plant management activities. I also am interested in understanding factors associated with private forest parcelization, or the division of forestland into smaller ownership holdings.
Why This Research is Important
My research improves our understanding of private forest landowners and what they do and think about their forestland. My research can be used to better develop and deliver assistance and incentive programs to help these landowners meet their personal ownership goals, and to help private forestlands deliver important societal forest-based goods and services. My research also helps managers determine efficient strategies, informs them about the consequences of their choices, and identifies the trade-offs inherent in complex land use and management decision-making. With this information, managers can make more effective decisions about how best to balance a host of competing objectives, priorities and goals inherent in land management.
- Johns Hopkins University, Ph.D. Systems Analysis for Public and Environmental Decision-Making 1996
- Johns Hopkins University, M.A. Systems Analysis for Public and Environmental Decision-Making 1992
- Boston University, B.A. Physical Geography 1990
- Society of American Foresters (SAF)
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
Featured Publications & Products
- Habesland, Daniel E.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Becker, Dennis R.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Solberg, Birger; Sjolie, Hanne K.; Lindstad, Berit H. 2016. Norwegian family forest owners' willingness to participate in carbon offset programs.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2016. Lake States natural resource managers' perspectives on forest land parcelization and its implications for public land management.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Haight, Robert G. 2016. Application of the maximal covering location problem to habitat reserve site selection: a review.
- Miller, Kristell A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A. 2015. State forestry agency perspectives on carbon management and carbon market assistance to family forest owners.
- Meier, Justin T.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Frey, Gregory E.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Blinn, Charles R. 2019. A comparison of participants and non-participants of state forest property tax programs in the United States.
- Frey, Gregory E.; Meier, Justin T.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Blinn, Charles R. 2019. Factors associated with family forest landowner enrollment in state preferential forest property tax programs in the United States.
- Floress, Kristin ; Huff, Emily S.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Koshollek, Alanna ; Butler, Sarah ; Allred, Shorna B. 2019. Factors associated with family forest owner actions: A vote-count meta-analysis.Landscape and Urban Planning.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Emery, Marla R.; Schmitz, Marissa . 2019. Maple Syrup Producers of the Lake States, USA: Attitudes Towards and Adaptation to Social, Ecological, and Climate Conditions.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Butler, Brett J.; Markowski-Lindsay, Marla . 2019. Small-Area Family Forest Ownerships in the USA.
- Blinn, Charles R.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Russell, Matthew B.; Peterson, Rachel R. 2019. Status of the Minnesota logging sector in 2016.
- Clarke, Mysha ; Ma, Zhao ; Snyder, Stephanie ; Floress, Kristin . 2019. What are family forest owners thinking and doing about invasive plants.
- Huff, Emily S.; Floress, Kristin ; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Ma, Zhao ; Butler, Sarah . 2019. Where farm and forest meet: Comparing National Woodland Owner Survey respondents with and without farmland.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Emery, Marla R.; Schmitz, Marissa. 2018. A Profile of Lake States Maple Syrup Producers and Their Attitudes and Responses to Economic, Social, Ecological and Climate Challenges.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A. 2018. The influence of multiple ownership interests and decision-making networks on the management of family forest lands: evidence from the United States.
- Arnberger, Arne; Ebenberger, Martin; Schneider, Ingrid E.; Cottrell, Stuart; Schlueter, Alexander C.; von Ruschkowski, Eick; Venette, Robert C.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Gobster, Paul H. 2018. Visitor preferences for visual changes in bark beetle-impacted forest recreation settings in the United States and Germany.
- Arnberger, Arne; Schneider, Ingrid E.; Ebenberger, Martin; Eder, Renate; Venette, Robert C.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Gobster, Paul H.; Choi, Ami; Cottrell, Stuart. 2017. Emerald ash borer impacts on visual preferences for urban forest recreation settings.
- Klenosky, David B.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Vogt, Christine A.; Campbell, Lindsay K. 2017. If we transform the landfill, will they come Predicting visitation to Freshkills Park in New York City.
- Butler, Brett J.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2017. National Woodland Owner Survey: family forest ownerships with 1 to 9 acres, 2011-2013.
- Butler, Sarah M.; Huff, Emily S.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Butler, Brett J.; Tyrrell, Mary. 2017. The Role of Gender in Management Behaviors on Family Forest Lands in the United States.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2016. Exploring the relationship between parcelization metrics and natural resource managers' perceptions of forest land parcelization intensity.
- Andrejczyk, Kyle; Butler, Brett J.; Dickinson, Brenton J.; Hewes, Jaketon H.; Markowski-Lindsay, Marla A.; Kittredge, David B.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Catanzaro, Paul F. 2016. Family Forest Owners' Perceptions of Landowner Assistance programs in the USA: A Qualitative Exploration of Program Impacts on Behaviour.
- Phillips-Mao, Laura; Galatowitsch, Susan M.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Haight, Robert G. 2016. Model-based scenario planning to develop climate change adaptation strategies for rare plant populations in grassland reserves.
- Sjolie, Hanne K.; Becker, Dennis; Habesland, Daniel; Solberg, Birger; Lindstad, Berit Hauger; Snyder, Stephanie; Kilgore, Mike. 2016. Willingness of nonindustrial private forest owners in Norway to supply logging residues for wood energy.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Eryilmaz, Derya; Markowski-Lindsay, Marla A.; Butler, Brett J.; Kittredge, David B.; Catanzaro, Paul F.; Hewes, Jaketon H.; Andrejczyk, Kyle. 2015. Assessing the relationship between different forms of landowner assistance and family forest owner behaviors and intentions.
- Vogt, Christine A.; Klenosky, David B.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Campbell, Lindsay K. 2015. Resident support for a landfill-to-park transformation.
- Butler, Brett J.; Hewes, Jaketon H.; Liknes, Greg C.; Nelson, Mark D.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2014. A comparison of techniques for generating forest ownership spatial products.
- Butler, Brett J.; Markowski-Lindsay, Marla; Snyder, Stephanie; Catanzaro, Paul; Kittredge, David B.; Andrejczyk, Kyle; Dickinson, Brenton J.; Eryilmaz, Derya; Hewes, Jaketon H.; Randler, Paula; Tadle, Donna; Kilgore, Michael A. 2014. Effectiveness of landowner assistance activities: an examination of the USDA Forest Service's Forest Stewardship Program.
- Miller, Kristell A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Mike A.; Davenport, Mae A. 2014. Family forest landowners' interest in forest carbon offset programs: Focus group findings from the Lake States, USA.
- Hewes, Jaketon H.; Butler, Brett J.; Liknes, Greg C.; Nelson, Mark D.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2014. Map of distribution of six forest ownership types in the conterminous United States.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Block-Torgerson, Kayla; Taff, Steven J. 2013. Challenges in characterizing a parcelized forest landscape: why metric, scale and threshold matter.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Butler, Brett J. 2012. A national assessment of public recreational access on family forestlands in the United States.
- Miller, Kristell A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A. 2012. An assessment of forest landowner interest in selling forest carbon credits in the Lake States, USA.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Stockmann, Keith D.; Morris, Gaylord E. 2012. An optimization modeling approach to awarding large fire support wildfire helicopter contracts from the US Forest Service.
- Becker, Dennis R.; Wilson, Grant L.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2010. Private forest landowner attitudes toward off-highway vehicle access: A Minnesota case study.
- Mundell, J.; Taff, S.J.; Kilgore, M.A.; Snyder, S.A. 2010. Using real estate records to assess forest land parcelization and development: A Minnesota case study.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Smail, Robert A. 2009. Are all-terrain vehicle riders willing to pay trail user fees to ride on public lands in the USA.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Taff, Steven J.; Schertz, Joseph. 2009. Does forest land posted against trespass really mean no hunter access.
- Haight, Robert G.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2009. Integer programming methods for reserve selection and design.
- Miller, James R.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Skibbe, A.M.; Haight, Robert G. 2009. Prioritizing conservation targets in a rapidly urbanizing landscape.
- Toth, Sandor F.; Haight, Robert; Snyder, Stephanie A.; George, Sonney; Miller, James R.; Gregory, Mark S.; Skibbe, Adam M. 2009. Reserve selection with minimum contiguous area restrictions: An application to open space protection planning in suburban Chicago.
- Allen, Stewart D.; Wickwar, Denise A.; Clark, Fred P.; Dow, Robert R.; Potts, Robert; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2009. Values, beliefs, and attitudes technical guide for Forest Service land and resource management, planning, and decision-making.
- Baker, Lawrence A.; Schussler, Johanna E.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2008. Drivers of change for lakewater clarity.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Whitmore, Jay H.; Schneider, Ingrid E.; Becker, Dennis R. 2008. Ecological criteria, participant preferences and location models: A GIS approach toward ATV trail planning.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Taff, Steven J.; Schertz, Joseph M. 2008. Estimating a family forest landowner's likelihood of posting against trespass.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie; Taff, Steven; Schertz, Joseph. 2008. Family forest stewardship: do owners need a financial incentive.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Hudson, Rachel; Donnay, Jacob. 2008. Influence of purchaser perceptions and intentions on price for forest land parcels: a hedonic pricing approach.
- Marianov, Vladimir; ReVelle, Charles; Snyder, Stephanie. 2008. Selecting compact habitat reserves for species with differential habitat size needs.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Schertz, Joesph M.; Taff, Steven J. 2008. The cost of acquiring public hunting access on family forests lands.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Schertz, Joseph; Taff, Steven J. 2008. What does it take to get family forest owners to enroll in a forest stewardship-type program.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Hudson, Rachel; Donnay, Jacob. 2007. Determinants of forest land prices in northern Minnesota: a hedonic pricing approach.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Miller, James R.; Skibbe, Adam M.; Haight, Robert G. 2007. Habitat acquisition strategies for grassland birds in an urbanizing landscape.
- Kramer, Daniel Boyd; Polasky, Stephen; Starfield, Anthony; Palik, Brian; Westphal, Lynn; Snyder, Stephanie; Jakes, Pamela; Hudson, Rachel; Gustafson, Eric. 2006. A Comparison of Alternative Strategies for Cost-Effective Water Quality Management in Lakes.
- Stone, Brian; Obermann, William; Snyder, Stephanie. 2005. A new method for estimating and projecting vehicle miles of travel--linkages to landscape change and ozone impacts to northern forests..
- Haight, Robert G.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Revelle, Charles S. 2005. Metropolitan open-space protection with uncertain site availability.
- Williams, Justin C.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2005. Restoring habitat corridors in fragmented landscapes using optimization and percolation models.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Haight, Robert G.; ReVelle, Charles S. 2004. A scenario optimization model for dynamic reserve site selection.
- Snyder, Stephanie; ReVelle, Charles; Haight, Robert. 2004. One- and two-objective approaches to an area-constrained habitat reserve site selection problem.
- Marianov, Vladimir; Snyder, Stephanie ; ReVelle, Charles. 2004. Trading off species protection and timber production in forests managed for multiple objectives.
- Haight, Robert G.; Revelle, Charles S.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2000. An Integer Optimization Approch To A Probabilistic Reserve Site Selection Problem.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Tyrrell, Lucy E.; Haight, Robert G. 1999. An optimization approach to selecting research natural areas in National Forests.
|Decision Modeling Framework Improves Process for Awarding Firefighting Helicopter Contracts|
Aviation managers desired ways to add more rigor, reliability and transparency to the process. NRS researcher Stephanie Snyder was part of a tea ...
|For the Rare Prairie Orchid, Science is Making Climate Change Local|
Forest Service researchers, along with their research partners from the University of Minnesota, are helping land managers answer key questions ...
|Forest Carbon Markets and Private Forest Landowners: Perspectives from State Forestry Agencies|
Trees remove carbon from the planet’s atmosphere through photosynthesis and sequester carbon in their wood. Private landowners can manage thei ...
|Forest Service Research Evaluates Public Response to Transformed Landfill|
City parks are easy to love, but would you love, or visit, a park that used to be a landfill? As part of a team that included the New York City ...
|How declining size of private forest land holdings impacts public forest lands|
What happens to neighboring public forest lands when a piece of privately held forest land is split into multiple ownership pieces, a process th ...
|Landowners Interested in Managing Family Forest Lands for Carbon|
The nation's family forest lands have the potential to be an important contributor to carbon sequestration efforts, but only if their owners are ...
|Study Assesses Private Forest Landowner Attitudes Towards Forest Carbon Management and Carbon Credit Trading|
Forest lands, if managed in certain ways, can store excess atmospheric carbon, a key contributor to global climate change. This accumulated carb ...
|Study Assesses Public Access to Private Land for Recreation Purposes|
Scientists review opportunities, constraints, and possibilities for relieving recreational pressure on public lands
|Study Finds Differences in How Men and Women Manage Family Forests|
Although women are the primary decision-makers for more than 44 million acres of forest land in the United States and influence the land managem ...