Francisco J. Escobedo
Research Social Scientist
Los Angeles Center for Urban Natural Resources Sustainability
125 Paseo de la Plaza, Suite 204
Contact Francisco J. Escobedo
My research interest is understanding the environmental sustainability and resilience of communities and ecosystems in urban and wildland-urban interface (WUI) areas. I am particularly interested in measuring and informing managers and the public about the benefits and costs of urban and WUI forests and how socioeconomic factors and policies drive changes to these socio-ecological systems. For this research, I use not only quantitative approaches such as ecological modelling, statistics, field data and geospatial analysis but, also socioeconomic methods and data such as policy analysis, economic valuation and other qualitative methods.
In the past I have done research in urban forest ecology and the effects of disturbances such as urbanization and hurricanes on subtropical urban forest structure and function. I have also used economic valuation, policy analysis and various other models to measure and assess the ecosystem services and disservices provided by forests, rangelands and other ecosystems in urban, wildland, temperate, tropical, and international settings. Past research and professional experience has also included assessing fire effects as well as soil quality and inventories.
Why This Research is Important
Over half of the world’s and eighty percent of the United States’ populations currently live in urban and WUI areas. As a result, the environmental and natural resource sustainability problems facing society and these ecosystems are complex. One approach to better understand these issues and inform decision makers, the focus of my work, is to study them by working across disciplines using an integrated and participatory approach.
- State University of New York- ESF, Phd Forest and Natural Resources Policy 2004
- University of Arizona, Ms Watershed Management 1998
- New Mexico State University , Bsc Soil Science 1994
- Professor of Socio-Ecological Systems, Universidad del Rosario, Bogota Colombia
2016 - 2020
- Associate Professor of Urban and Community Forestry, University of Florida, School of Forest Resources and Conservation
2006 - 2015
- Forest Soil Scientist and Air Resources Coordinator, US Forest Service, Arapaho-Roosevelt National Forest
2004 - 2006
- Forester, US Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station
2000 - 2004
- Soil Scientist, US Forest Service, Region 3 Terrestrial Ecosystem Survey Crew
1994 - 1999
- Soil Science Technician, US Forest Service, Tongass NF, Yakutat Ranger District
1992 - 1992
- International Association for Landscape Ecology, Member (2018 - Current)
- Society for Urban Ecology, Member (2016 - 2017)
- Ecosystem Services Partnership, Member (2012 - 2014)
- International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO), Deputy Coordinator (2010 - 2014)
Awards & Recognition
- University of Florida-IFAS Award, 2015
High impact research publication recognition
- Southern Region Extension Forestry, 2011
Bronze Award for Computer Software Utility
- USDAFS Certificate of Merit , 2006
Washington Office- Policy Analysis Group
- USDAFS Certificate of Merit , 2005
Arapaho-Roosevelt NF, WUI fuel-mountain pine beetle mitigation planning
- USDAFS Certificate of Merit, 2003
San Bernardino NF, Community wildfire protection planning
Featured Publications & Products
- Dobbs, Cynnamon; Escobedo, Francisco J.; Zipperer, Wayne C. 2011. A framework for developing urban forest ecosystem services and goods indicators.
- Escobedo, Francisco; Varela, Sebastian; Zhao, Min; Wagner, John E.; Zipperer, Wayne. 2010. Analyzing the efficacy of subtropical urban forests in offsetting carbon emissions from cities.
- Escobedo, Francisco J.; Wagner, John E.; Nowak, David J.; De la Maza, Carmen Luz; Rodriguez, Manuel; Crane, Daniel E. 2008. Analyzing the cost effectiveness of Santiago, Chile's policy of using urban forests to improve air quality.
- Wyman, Miriam; Escobedo, Francisco; Varela, Sebastian; Asuaje, Cesar; Mayer, Henry; Swisher, Mickie; Hermansen, Annie. 2011. Analyzing the natural resource extension needs of Spanish-speakers: A perspective from Florida.
- Escobedo, Francisco J.; Ffolliott, Peter F.; Gottfried, Gerald J.; Garza, Florentino. 2001. Fire frequency effects on fuel loadings in pine-oak forests of the Madrean Province.
- Rodriguez, Maykol ; Bodini, Antonio ; Escobedo, Francisco J.; Clerici, Nicola . 2021. Analyzing socio-ecological interactions through qualitative modeling: Forest conservation and implications for sustainability in the peri urban bogota (Colombia).
- Adams, Damian C.; Soto, José R.; Lai, John ; Escobedo, Francisco J.; Alvarez, Sergio ; Kibria, Abu S.M.G. 2020. Public preferences and willingness to pay for invasive forest pest prevention programs in urban areas.
- Staudhammer, Christina L.; Escobedo, Francisco J.; Holt, Nathan; Young, Linda J.; Brandeis, Thomas J.; Zipperer, Wayne; Other, . 2015. Predictors, spatial distribution, and occurrence of woody invasive plants in subtropical urban ecosystems.
- Timilsina, Nilesh; Escobedo, Francisco; Staudhammer, Christina ; Brandeis, Thomas. 2014. Analyzing the causal factors of carbon stores in a subtropical urban forest.
- Brandeis, Thomas J.; Escobedo, Francisco J.; Staudhammer, Christina L.; Nowak, David J.; Zipperer, Wayne C. 2014. San Juan Bay Estuary watershed urban forest inventory.
- Timilsina, Nilesh; Escobedo, Francisco J.; Cropper, Wendell P., Jr..; Abd-Elrahman, Amr; Brandeis, Thomas; Delphin, Sonia; Lambert, Samuel. 2013. A framework for identifying carbon hotspots and forest management drivers.
- Tucker Lima, J. M.; Staudhammer, C. L.; Brandeis, T. J.; Escobedo, F. J.; Zipperer, W. 2013. Temporal dynamics of a subtropical urban forest in San Juan, Puerto Rico, 2001-2010.
- Szantoi, Zoltan; Malone, Sparkle L; Escobedo, Francisco; Misas, Orlando; Smith, Scot; Dewitt, Bon. 2012. A tool for rapid post-hurricane urban tree debris estimates using high resolution aerial imagery.
- Lawrence, Alicia B.; Escobedo, Fancisco J.; Staudhammera, Christina L.; Zipperer, Wayne Zipperer. 2012. Analyzing growth and mortality in a subtropical urban forest ecosystem.
- Escobedo, Francisco; Seitz, Jennifer A.; Zipperer, Wayne. 2009. Carbon sequestration and storage by Gainesville's urban forest.
- Escobedo, Francisco; Seitz, Jennifer A.; Zipperer, Wayne. 2009. Gainesville's urban forest canopy cover.
- Escobedo, Francisco J.; Nowak, David J. 2009. Spatial heterogeneity and air pollution removal by an urban forest.
- Escobedo, Francisco J.; Nowak, David J.; Wagner, John E.; Luz De la Maza, Carmen; Rodríguez, Manuel; Crane, Daniel E.; Hernández, Jamie; Herná, ; ndez, Jamie. 2006. The socioeconomics and management of Santiago de Chile's public urban forests.