Freehold Township 9/11 Living Memorial Tree Grove
This grove is dedicated to those that perished on September 11, 2001. Over one thousand people attended the ceremony on the first anniversary. The living memorial is park of the volunteer spirit that workd to create this site and continues to work to restore this area. We invited each family member to express their own thoughts in the dedicated area. We had a private ceremony, this was very important.
Reason site was selected
The memorial is part of MARE: Memorial Arboretum Research and Education Center. This is unique place. We have other parks and open space areas in the township but this is special. It is part of the woods and there are lots of birds.
Events planned for site
Our long-term goals are to share this story with citizen groups and student groups. It is a place that lends itself to walking, playing and exercise. It is a public space.
Do you believe your memorial is a sacred place?
Places were people who have lost friends and relatives can come to and relax, be at peace. At the site, there is a small lake and picnic grove. It is quite peaceful.
- Sponsored by Freehold Township Shade Tree Commission
- Site maintained by Freehold Township Department of Parks and Recreation, Public Works and Shade Tree Department which is under the Shade Tree Commission
- Project website contact
- Project email contact email@example.com
- Address Randolph Road, Durand Park
- City, State, ZIP Freehold Township, New Jersey 07728
- County Monmouth
- Dedication Aug. 11, 2002
- Status Dedicated/Existing and permanent
- Artwork yes
- Public access yes
- Public events yes
- Sq. Foot grove is 1/2 acre
- Acreage 45 acres
- Number & Species of Trees 101-500: Four different types of trees, Helicia Carolina, Green Mountain Sugar Maples, Black Tupleo and Black Gum
- This project is best described as a Tree Grove, Other
- This project is unique because of the Site Design
- Project Sponsors and Participants
- Is the community involved?
- Project was initiated by Individuals
- Land is owned by City
- Type of participants Staff and Volunteers
- Number of people involved 20 - 50
- Percent of those involved who are volunteers 75% to 99%
- Are people expected to stay involved? yes
- For more information contact , firstname.lastname@example.org