Ocala National Forest cabin added to National Register of Historic Places

On Feb. 28, Carr Cabin in Ocala National Forest was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Originally constructed as a family retreat in 1938, Dr. Thomas Carr donated the cabin, along with 46 acres, to the U.S. Forest Service in 2007. Meticulously restored and preserved, the Carr family’s appreciation of nature was nurtured in this little hand-built cabin. It has been compared to Leopold’s “Shack” and often referred to as Florida’s “Walden.”