The USDA Forest Service is now replacing the remaining Windows 7 computers in the national inventory via the Chief Information Office PC Life Cycle Refresh Program. By November 30, 2019, the agency goal is to have all computers operating on Windows 10. This date is important because beginning in January 2020, Microsoft will no longer support Windows 7 security vulnerabilities or repairs to the operating system, making the identified machines a significant vulnerability to the Forest Service network, security, and operations. In the coming weeks, the few remaining end users with a computer eligible for replacement will be notified by the CIO through email communication with instructions for the replacement process.
What you need to do
- If you receive an email that you have a computer eligible for replacement under the LCR Program, please follow the process on the Life Cycle Refresh Program web page to submit your replacement request as soon as possible.
- If you have a need for an Exception, first follow the process on the Exception Program website. Then, follow the instructions under How To Acquire/Request Service> The Process section, which includes information about user requirements where a PC exception is appropriate and the required Computer Replacement Exception Form.
- If you have a computer validated as Seasonal, continue to use the computer throughout your seasonal assignment dates.
- The employee’s supervisor will need to return the computer to the CIO at the end of the employee’s seasonal assignment or before December 31, 2019, the one that comes first.
What you need to know
- The eligible computer must be replaced before November 30, 2019, all Windows 7 PC’s after this date will be removed from the network.
- Computers eligible for replacement are listed in the Eligible List posted on the Life Cycle Refresh Program web page.
Windows 7 computers that are validated as Seasonal and used by Non-Permanent Seasonal Employees
- By December 31, 2019, Seasonal computers will need to be disconnected from the network and will not be replaced under the current Life Cycle Refresh Program.
- The seasonal employee’s supervisor will follow the process on the Computer Recycling Program web page to return the old computers for recycling.
In early Calendar Year 2020, the CIO will announce the process for obtaining computers for non-permanent seasonal employee use.
Help is available
For technical help call the Customer Help Desk at 1-866-945-1354 (TTY: 1-800-877-8339), start a chat with an agent, or type the full KBA number or “keywords” in double quotes into the Search box on the Customer Help Desk site to find helpful knowledge management documents.
The CIO is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in all of its activities, services, and programs for individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation in accessing and using the information contained in this email, please email CIO News.
Visit the CIO News Archives for past emails.