Windmills on the National Grasslands
Caddo National Grassland
By Nathan Campbell
The 50-foot tower, made of oak and cypress, was completed on July 4th, 1938. Its main purpose was to provide water to the lodge, cabins and the many stone built water fountains throughout the compound nearby. Lake Fannin Historical Society is working in partnership with the U.S. Forest Service to restore the tower in the future to continue supplying water to the campground and picnic area. The Caddo National Grassland gets enough rain that stock ponds still have water for livestock into early autumn.