FVS Variant Installer Files
The FVS Variant Installers contain all of the FVS variants with the specified attributes. During the install process the user selects the individual variants to be installed. These installers are designed primarily to update or supplement the files included in the Complete FVS Setup Package.
You can find information regarding the codes, relationships, and logic specific to the individual variants in the Variant Overview documents. We developed an FVS Variant Map to suggest the FVS variant for any point in the United States, and is distributed in the form of a shapefile.
Download the FVS Variant Installer file to your PC. Then follow the Installation Instructions below. For a list of the extensions available for a particular variant, please refer to the FVS Variant Key and Included Extensions.
Base Model, and additionally the Fire and Fuels Extension (with the carbon module), Economics Extension, and Insect and Disease Extensions if applicable, and Climate Extension if applicable.
To load the FVS variant programs, perform the following steps.
- Click the link for the appropriate FVS Variant Installer in the table above to begin downloading it.
- You will be asked to open the file or save the file to your computer. Click the “Save” button.
- Save the executable to the “My Documents” folder on your hard drive.
- When the executable has finished downloading, choose to open the installer executable by clicking the “Open” button. If you do not have this option, navigate to your “My Documents” folder and double-click on the executable. Either option will begin the installation process.
- Following a splash screen, you will be prompted to click the “Next” button in the window that appears. Press that button.
- In the next window that appears, click to place a check mark next to each of the FVS variants you want installed. Then click the “Next” button.
- In the next window that appears, click the “Install” button.
- When installation is finished, click the “Finish” button. The FVS variant programs are now installed!