2017 Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS) e-Conference
February 28 to March 2, 2017
The 2017 Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS) e-Conference was the fifth in a series of FVS conferences dating back to 1997. It was dedicated to bringing together developers and users of the Forest Vegetation Simulator and had an overall goal of providing the medium to share our experiences, our lessons learned, our triumphs and our failures.
The 2017 FVS e-Conference extended over three days and included forty presentations. The first day included presentations on FVS modernization attempts, new variant development and linkages to other models. Presentations on the second day covered computational methods in FVS, regeneration modeling, and model evaluation efforts. The third day showcased how FVS is being used within inventory systems and project analyses.
The 2017 FVS e-Conference was an online “green” event that utilized the US Forest Service Adobe Connect web conferencing platform. We estimate the virtual format doubled attendance, saved $140,000 in travel costs and prevented 81 metric tons of GHG emissions. Post-conference surveys rated the e-Conference with 95% good (32%) or excellent (63%) ratings.
Recorded presentations are available below and manuscripts from presentations will be included in an e-Conference Proceedings produced by the USDA Forest Service, Southern Research Station Technical Publications Staff.
Program and Abstracts
The 2017 FVS e-Conference program included forty presentations from the United States, Canada and Italy. Please take a look at the Program and Abstracts for a summary of presentations.
Recorded presentations are organized by day within the US Forest Service Adobe Connect system. Click the links below to view presentations. Once connected to the system, you’ll be able to choose the presentation you wish to view in the presentation directory on the left side of the screen.
The USDA Forest Service Southern Research Station has produced a proceedings of the 2017 Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS) e-Conference. Thirty-three extended abstracts and full papers are included. View the Proceedings of the 2017 Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS) e-Conference.
FVS Conference Organizing Committee
- Chad Keyser, USDA Forest Service, WOD-FMSC (Chair)
- Mike Battaglia, USDA Forest Service, RMRS
- Tim Bottomley, USDI BLM, National Operations Center
- Dave Cawrse, USDA Forest Service, WOD-FMSC
- Lance David, USDA Forest Service, WOD-FMSC
- Aaron Gagnon, USDA Forest Service, WOD-FMSC
- Robert Havis, USDA Forest Service, WOD-FMSC
- Morris Johnson, USDA Forest Service, PNW
- Tara Keyser, USDA Forest Service, SRS
- Barry Lilly, USDA Forest Service, WOD-FM
- Joe Sherlock, USDA Forest Service, Region 5 Pacific Southwest
- Mike Shettles, USDA Forest Service, WOD-FMSC
- Erin Smith-Mateja, USDA Forest Service, WOD-FMSC
- Mike Van Dyck, USDA Forest Service, WOD-FMSC
For more information about the conference, please contact Chad Keyser (email@example.com).