Third Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS) Conference
The Third Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS) Conference took place February 13-15, 2007, in Fort Collins Colorado. The USDA Forest Service, Forest Management Service Center, has hosted the conference every 5 years since 1997.
Corbin Newman, Director of Forest Management, delivering the Keynote Address at the FVS Conference.
- USDA Forest Service Rocky Mountain Research Station (RMRS)
- USDA Forest Service State & Private Forestry
- USDA Forest Service Forest Health Protection
- USDA Forest Service National Headquarters Forest Management
- Society of American Foresters (SAF)
- Division 4 of the International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO), Forest Assessment, Modeling and Management.
This conference provided a forum to bring the FVS community together to:
- Exchange ideas and analytical techniques for using FVS;
- Share experiences and methods for incorporating forest vegetation simulation into project-level, landscape-level, strategic planning, and other applications;
- Learn about current developments in FVS-related technology; and,
- Identify gaps in knowledge, research priorities, and future system development needs.
Focusing on the application and development of the FVS modeling system, the technical sessions included topics such as Issues in Forest Management, Forest Disturbance related to Fire, Forest Disturbance related to Insect and Disease, FVS Data, Forest Planning, and Model Development.
Corbin Newman presenting Nicholas Crookston an award. Dave Cawrse, Forest Management Service Center Director, right.
FVS Conference panel discussion.
FVS Conference poster session.
Special events during the conference included:
- Keynote address, Vegetation Simulation and our Changing World, by Corbin Newman, Director of Forest Management
- Awards ceremony honoring individuals for their contributions to FVS
- From a National Forest over the past 5 years: Robert White, Allegheny National Forest.
- From a State Agency or Private Industry over the past 5 years: Fred Martin, Washington Department of Natural Resources.
- From the international community over the past 5 years: Don Robinson, ESSA Technologies Ltd., Vancouver, British Columbia.
- For long-term Model Enhancement and Development efforts: Elizabeth Reinhardt, RMRS, Missoula, Fire Sciences Laboratory; and, Nicholas Crookston, RMRS, Moscow, Idaho.
- For long-term outstanding contributions in the development and maintenance of FVS technology – Gary Dixon, Forest Management Service Center.
- Panel discussion on Issues in FVS Data Acquisition and Input. The panelists were:
- Nicholas Crookston, U.S. Forest Service, RMRS
- Richard Teck, U.S. Forest Service, Natural Resource Information System
- Pat Miles, U.S. Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis
- Tim Bottomley, U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management
- Dave Wilson, U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Poster session
The Conference speakers' PowerPoint presentations are available for you to download and view.
The Third FVS Conference Proceedings are available on Treesearch: