About the Timber Service Line
The TMSL provides an extensive suite of offerings in support of activities associated with timber management including forest health, silviculture, forest products, stewardship, timber sale preparation, contracts and permits, stewardship and timber sale administration.
To provide expertise in timber management to increase forest resiliency and adaptability, and to provide quality implementation services to deliver forest-related goods and services in support of providing tangible economic benefits to rural communities.
- Vegetation management planning
- Forest inventory design
- Stand inventory
- Specialist support
- Specialist analyses and participation on IDTs
- Implementation (Program Administration)
- Timber sale preparation: Sale layout, timber marking, timber sale cruising, check cruising
- Contract administration: contract preparation, timber sale contract administration, special products permit administration, stewardship contract administration
- Forest Data Management
- Development, utilization, and recommendations for national timber management databases and applications such as NRM, INFRA, FSVeg and FSVeg Spatial, etc.
- Development of new forest modelling, computer applications for analysis and planning purposes
- Agency-wide timber training and mentoring for early and mid-career timber management professionals and technicians.
- Analysis, Inventory, and Monitoring
- Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA)