Lands, Minerals, and Special Uses
About Our Team
The Lands, Minerals, and Special Uses (LMSU) is a group of dedicated seasoned professionals who actively collaborate with the Forest Service to achieve better relationships with the public and to become the highest and best stewards of the national forest lands we manage. The LMSU offers nationwide support to program managers within the Forest Service allowing timely and quality delivery of vital services to the American public. Being well versed in agency special uses, lands and minerals project work, the LMSU service line is an expert resource the Forest Service can depend upon - whether to issue a group use permit for a campground, a communication site lease, a large powerline corridor easement, a minerals material permit, or process a land exchange.
Committed to addressing the ever-evolving needs of the Forest Service, the LMSU functions as a partner or extension of agency units to develop quality and effective products and solutions. Our mission, specific to each program area, is as follows:
Lands: assist Forest Service units with the processing of land ownership adjustments including land exchanges, purchases, and easements resulting in improved ownership rights and patterns.
Minerals: provide skilled specialists to support agency units with minerals program management and expand the capacity of the Forest Service to respond to requests for mineral use, development and administration in an expert and timely manner.
Special Uses: be an integral partner with the Forest Service initiative to modernize special uses, and provide agency program managers with seasoned subject-matter experts to accomplish recreation and lands special use program administration and project workload.
The Lands, Minerals, and Special Uses Service Line is well situated to partner on lands, minerals, and special uses and offer assistance to all levels of the Forest Service through our diverse and comprehensive expertise. Our in-depth knowledge ranges from authorization, administration, and compliance to all forms of planning including strategic plans, development plans, prospectuses, and complex NEPA analysis. This vast expertise combined with intimate agency familiarity allow us to be and the best choice to create quality customized solutions our agency clients.
LANDS KEY OFFERINGS - provide assistance with all process steps of land ownership adjustment and land title related case work, examples of which include:
- Land purchases
- Land donations
- Land exchanges
- Land conveyances
- Rights-of-way acquisitions
- Conservation easements
- Land grants
- Legislated land adjustments
- Interchanges - Small Tracts Act
- Compensatory mitigation
- Administrative withdrawals – BLM Applications needed for withdrawals
- Land Status Changes and updates
- Minerals withdrawal needs (associated NEPA, mineral potential reports or mineral character determinations can be provided by other Enterprise Services or ISA’s)
MINERALS KEY OFFERINGS - support mineral program management, including, but not limited to the following areas:
- Preparation of minerals material permits and authorizations for extended occupancy, road use and other associated activities
- Preparation of conditions of approval: selecting clauses, maps, bond calculations and bills for collection
- Legal document research, bonding instruments, land plat and title review to determine ownership, rights, and claims as needed to apply to the processing and development of the mineral authorizations
SPECIAL USES KEY OFFERINGS - offer expertise in all aspects of special uses management, including, but not limited to:
- Programmatic permit administration, billing, SUDS support, cost recovery development
- Master Cost Recovery Agreements
- Communication site designation and plans, and leases
- Cabin rental program permits, marina permits, and complex outfitter guide permits
- Ski resort permits, complex energy and infrastructure permits, permits and other permits requiring complex environmental analysis such as shooting ranges, observatories and energy transmission lines
- Master permit planning, multi-agency permits and development of Operations and Maintenance Plans
- Application processing, new permits and existing permit re-issuances Training for SUDS, Cost Recovery, Survey 123 or other necessary special use training
- Special Us es Consistency and Efficiency in the SUDS database
- Prospectus development and evaluation
- Recreation special uses business plan
- O/G Needs Assessment, Capacity Analysis and Commercial Allocation
- Developing electronic system upgrades for programs including developing and utilizing Survey 1-2-3, spatial data records and electronic permit file