About the Engineering Service Line
The ESL are experts in engineering and related services that require unique technical certifications difficult for Forest Service units to fund or maintain within their own staff, such as environmental engineers, contracting officer representatives (COR), and structural engineers. This service line also provides engineering training and mentoring for people from ethnically diverse backgrounds in technical skill professions in preparation for lifelong careers in public service.
To provide highly qualified engineering and related technical skills to Forest Service units and other governmental organizations.
- Roads & Timber Sale Services
- Survey and design, contract package preparation, contracting officer representative and inspector support for service and construction and stewardship contracts.
- Bridges & Aquatic Organism Passage (AOP)
- NBIS bridge inspections; recreation and timber bridge inspections; survey, design, and contract package preparation for bridges & AOP projects; contracting officer’s representative and inspection services for bridge & AOP projects.
- Environmental Engineering
- Spill prevention control and countermeasure plans, hazardous waste minimization, pollution prevention plans; technical recommendations for CAA, ECAP, CERCLA, RCRA, CWA, SDWA, TSCA and OSHA compliance; conducts phase 1 environmental site assessments.
- Water & Wastewater
- Develops operation and maintenance manuals for water and wastewater systems; develops site sampling plans; completes design, contract package preparation, government cost estimates, contracting officer representative and inspector support for contracts; conducts sanitary and condition surveys on water and wastewater systems.
- Conducts building condition surveys; completes engineering site surveys and design & contract package preparation; contracting officer representative (COR) and inspection services in all NCCP categories.
- Trails Engineering
- Survey and design; contract package preparation; contracting officer and inspector support for service and construction contracts for trails, including bridges. Does not include actual trail construction such as Trail Unlimited offers.
- Transportation Planning
- Road condition surveys; road management objective development; project level transportation planning; travel analysis process; engineering specialist support for non-engineering NEPA project interdisciplinary teams.
- Environmental Compliance-Public Services NEPA Team
- Completes NEPA analysis; site inventories; environmental permits; and project management services for recreation, facility, roads, AOP, special uses, heritage resources, lands and other public service-related projects.
- Engineering Project Management
- Provides project managers for high dollar value, complex, or high profile, engineering-related projects with rigorous demands for remaining within scope and budget and meeting specific timeframes.
- Program Support Services
- Contracting officer representative (COR) services for engineering contracts; requisition and invoicing for contracts; engineering project purchase support; NRM data entry; project financial management support.