About the Communications Service Line
Communication touches every aspect of the Forest Service with best practices and resources often changing rapidly. This is particularly true based on the ever increasing demand for linking communications expertise with technology. The Enterprise Communications Service Line (CSL) provides essential services and solutions to meet important agency communication needs and challenges. Additionally, the CSL seeks to provide the agency with an option for addressing both traditional public affairs/communications support coupled with new, innovative solutions to address challenges of communicating with an evolving public and a more technologically-savvy audience.
To provide a variety of unique, high quality, and engaging communications products in support of the Forest Service mission; and to assist in providing a compelling, consistent, and coordinated message to employees, the public, and other key stakeholders.
Below are some of the key areas current Enterprise Program communication specialists support. Don't see what you are looking for? No problem as we welcome the opportunity to explore your project needs.
- Communication Planning: Creation of communication plans, developing messages and stories, and identifying key tools for delivering story and message to a variety of audiences. Deliverables include:
- communications plans;
- talking points;
- briefing papers;
- campaign plans;
- special project plans; and
- special audience plans (for instance, plans directed at engaging youth or underserved populations); and
- interactive, informational, instructional and/or educational videos.
- Web Content Design, Content Development, and Layout: One-stop shop for web planning needs for clients. Includes close integration with technology specialists to ensure both communication content and technology aspects of the customer need are met in a coordinated manner. Sub-offerings include:
- social media planning and implementation;
- websites layout, design and content;
- smartphone and tablet “app” assistance; and
- publications development, including messaging and branding and storyboard development; graphics and visual support; and videography; and
- multi-media galleries which includes client content or development of interactive, informational, instructional and/or educational videos that meet Section 508 compliance.
- Education and Training: Development and delivery of curriculum in a virtual environment that meets agency accessibility and technical requirements for inclusion in official agency learning management system utilizing but not limited to module development software, Microsoft PowerPoint and video.
- Technical and Professional Writing Services: Creation of turnkey written content/materials as well as review of specialist developed materials, 508 compliance, and use of plain language. Examples of assistance in this area include:
- support NEPA and forest planning teams and decision makers (accomplishment reports, strategic plans, etc.);
- creation of publications;
- compliance with law and policy (such as 508 compliance and plain language);
- provide document control; and develop graphics and visual content such as images and embedded video.
- Conflict Management and Prevention: Provide conflict resolution in the workplace, including prevention (through training and team development), assessment (with sensing and analysis), maintenance (through conflict-focused facilitation and team tune-ups to address conflict), and resolution (using mediation, group collaborative problem solving, and executive coaching). These services are targeted to internal Forest Service audiences to provide greater productivity by providing services that resolve workplace conflict.
- Facilitation and Collaboration: Includes collaboration design and coaching (internal, forest planning, project, and community/forest relationship); group facilitation (internal Forest Service and external stakeholder); team building and staff retreats; virtual meeting design and facilitation; stakeholder assessment and outreach; public and partner engagement; and strategic facilitation.