Albuquerque Service Center, Budget & Finance, Travel & TOS

Transfer of Station (TOS)

Transfer of Station travel refers to the relocation of employees that the Forest Service hires and transfers to new locations within the 48 contiguous states, Alaska, Hawaii, and other US territories and possessions. It is the Albuquerque Service Center Budget and Finance's (B&F) responsibility to assist employees with the transition, reimbursement of expenses, and to provide interpretation of federal, Department of Agriculture, and Forest Service travel regulations. In addition, it is Budget & Finance's responsibility to provide technical advice to managers on transfer-of-station related matters. Employees currently transferring should check out the General Services Administration (GSA) Relocation Allowances website to guide you through your transfer.

  • Relocation Taxes: Relocation allowances previously non-taxable are now taxable as of January 1st, 2018. Allowances now taxable include shipment of household goods, storage of household goods, shipment and storage of mobile homes and POV’s, En-route travel. This includes payments made to a third party vendors (such as the moving company) on behalf of the transferee.

Travel Regulations


Mileage Requirements for Transfer of Station

You will not be reimbursed for Transfer of Station (TOS) expenses if you relocate to a new official duty station that does not meet the 50-mile distance test. There are two (2) distance requirements:

  • Employees transferring in the interest of the government from one agency or duty station to another for permanent duty are generally eligible for Transfer of Station (TOS) expense allowances provided the distance between your old and new duty stations is at least 50 miles or further. (FTR 302-1.1(b))
  • The distance between the new official duty station must be at least 50 miles further from the employee’s current residence than the old official duty station is from the same residence. The distance between the official station and residence is the shortest of the most commonly traveled routes between them. (FTR 302-2.6)

Any relocation must be incidental to the transfer and not for the convenience of the employee.

Mileage is based on door-to-door distances using the shortest of the commonly traveled routes using commercial software (i.e. MapQuest, Rand McNally).

Click here for the Mileage Distance Test

Note: All reimbursed expenses are considered taxable income for except for the following: Shipment of POV OCONUS, extended storage OCONUS, and payments to Relocation Services Contractors (RSP), (GSA Bulletin FTR 20-02 dated 12/4/2019).


Residence Transactions

  • New Relocation Service Program (RSP) Requirements - Effective immediately, transferring employees eligible for RSP must not list their home prior to entering into RSP program and will make you ineligible for the RSP program.


Foreign Transfer of Station Forms

  • DSSR 240 Foreign Transfer Allowance Worksheet
  • DSSR 120 TQSA Temporary Quarters Subsistence Allowance


Relocation Income Tax (RIT) Allowance

You may submit your RIT claim to ASC B&F Travel -TOS staff for review and approval.

ASC B&F Travel -TOS Staff will:

    • Verify that all forms and documents are attached
    • Enter RIT claims into the travel System
    • Submit Claims to FMS for processing


To be in compliance with the Federal Travel Regulations, RIT claims must be received by the ASC B&F Travel/TOS no later than August 1, 2020.




  • AD-1000 - Claim for Relocation Income Tax Allowance
  • AD-616R - Travel Voucher for RIT


Submitting a RIT Claim:

    Scan and email your completed forms AD-1000, AD-616R and copies of all W-2 and Schedule SE (1040) to If you filed your Federal Tax Return as "Married, Filed Jointly", you will need to include copies of any of your spouse's W-2s or Schedule SE (1040) forms and your spouse is required to sign the AD-1000.

    In order to protect your PII, please redact or black out your Social Security Number(s) on all W-2s and Schedule SE (1040) forms prior to submitting your RIT claim.

    If you are not able to scan and email your documents, you may fax them to 1-866-689-4968 or mail them hardcopy mail to:

    US Forest Service
    ASC-B&F Travel Branch - TOS/RIT
    4000 Masthead Street NE
    Mail Stop 202
    Albuquerque, NM 87109

    If mailing your RIT claim via hardcopy, staple all documents prior to submitting to the ASC B&F Travel-TOS.

    Do not mail your RIT claim directly to NFC - Your claim must be approved at the ASC prior to being processed by NFC.

    Prior Year RIT claims  - You can submit prior year RIT claims by using the RIT forms available in this section and entering the calendar year you are filing the claim for. If you received a Bill of Collection from USDA-NFC for a prior year WTA reimbursement, please attach a copy of your bill with your RIT Claim.


Note to All Employees: Be sure you update your mailing address through the Employee Personal Page (EPP). The National Finance Center (NFC) sends correspondence to the address listed in your EPP profile. If you address is incorrect, the mail is not forwarded.