Skip to Main Content

Health Insurance

J-1 Visa holders, as exchange visitors to the United States, must carry health insurance for themselves and all J-2 dependents for the full duration of a J-1 program.  A program can be terminated early for failure to carry the appropriate insurance. To comply with regulations, the insurance policy must have the following:

  • A deductible of no more than $500 per accident per illness       
  • Minimum benefits of $100,000 per accident or illness
  • $25,000 benefit for repatriation of remains in case of death
  • $50,000 coverage for medical evacuation travel expenses
  • Any waiting periods for pre-existing conditions should be reasonable by current industry standards
  • Policy must be backed by full faith and credit of a home country government or must meet minimum rating requirements established by the US government (an A.M Best rating of “A-” or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-I” or above, a Standard and Poor’s Claims-paying ability rating of “A-” or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of “B+” or above.

The International Visitor Program offers special health and medical evacuation insurance plans to program participants that meet and exceed all the State Department coverage requirements for J-1 visa holders.

Visitors may also purchase their own insurance and submit the policy as proof of coverage.

If International Programs obtains insurance for the visitor, an IVP Specialist will facilitate enrollment and the payment of premiums, and then provide the exchange visitor with an insurance policy description and identification card upon arrival.  Host units or visitors must include this cost in their program budget and reimburse International Programs for the premiums paid on behalf of the visitor.  The insurance must be valid for the entire duration of the program.

J-2 dependents must also have insurance that meets the minimum requirements. If approval has been obtained and funding demonstrated for dependents to accompany the J-1 program participant (J-1principal), insurance for the dependents must be provided. Relatives visiting international visitors who come to the US on B-2 tourist visas should also obtain some form health or traveler’s insurance which will cover them during their stay in the USA.

Research Scholars are often on longer-term programs, some of which might allow for lengthy international trips or lengthy stays in their home country in between periods of activity in the US. Like all program participants, they must be covered by insurance for the entire period of their program, even if considerable time will be spent outside the US during the span of the program.


Policy Information & Rates

Please review all policy and coverage information for both plans before selecting the policy that best fits your needs.  Depending on the length of your program or your health concerns, you may need a more basic or more extensive policy. For instructions on how to purchase one of these policies, please contact your IVP Specialist.

Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI)

Program Brochure

Monthly Premiums

Participant All Ages Participant and Spouse Participant & Family
$108.25 $668.75 $824.25



Program Brochure

Monthly Premiums

Participant All Ages Participant and Spouse Participant & Family
$132 $639 $894


FAQs about Health Insurance

Why do International Visitors have to carry health insurance?

It is dangerous for international visitors to be in the United States without adequate health insurance.  In the United States, individuals, families and visitors are responsible for paying for health care costs themselves.  Unlike many other countries where the government provides health care to its citizens and sometimes visitors at no cost, the United States has multiple private health care systems, insurance companies, and systems of payment.  A single day of hospitalization and medical treatment can cost thousands of dollars and many hospitals and doctors refuse to treat or see uninsured patients except in life threatening emergencies.  It is extremely important to have valid insurance policies to receive timely and more affordable health care.

How does medical insurance work?

When one purchases health “coverage” through an insurance company, the fees paid (the premium) is combined with the premiums of all others to form a large pool of money.  The large fund is then used to pay the medical bills of those holding insurance policies who need health care services.  An individual’s coverage remains valid only as long as s/he continues to pay insurance premiums.  These premiums are usually based on a monthly rate.  Also, in many cases, insurance only pays a percentage of the total bill for health care services.  Individuals may have to pay a “co-payment,” meet a “deductible” and pay a certain percentage of the bill for different types of services.

Once a person purchases insurance, the company provides an insurance identification card for use as proof of coverage. Hospitals and doctors’ offices ask for this proof, or card, when a person arrives at their offices seeking healthcare.  The company will also provide written instructions for reporting and documenting medical expenses (“filing a claim”).  The company will evaluate any claim you file, and make the appropriate payment for coverage under your particular policy.  In some cases, the insurance company pays the hospital or doctor directly. In other cases, you pay and the insurance company reimburses you after you have paid the bills and filed a claim.

Where can I get more information on insurance?

  • Your IVP Specialist in the International Programs Office
  • Directly from the Insurance Provider – Refer to the Policy Description of Coverage for contact information


Skip to Main Content
Jump to Top of Page