How to Apply - Host Units

Host units wishing to invite international visitors should work with International Visitor Program (IVP) staff to determine the most suitable visa type for the specific activity.  The purpose of the visit, profile of the visitor, length of stay, sources of funds, and other logistical concerns are all considerations in determining which visa is appropriate.  As B-1 visas are only appropriate for specific types of activities, it is best to begin by assuming your visitor will require a J-1 visa and initiate the application process for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program outlined below. An IVP Specialist will review the documents and advise you if another visa type might be appropriate. For example, international students in the U.S. on F-1 visas may be eligible to engage in Optional or Curricular Practical Training.

If you wish to invite an international guest as a J-1 Exchange Visitor or provide other support (insurance or maintenance allowances via debit cards), you should begin the application process at least 12 weeks in advance of the visit or program.  It is important to allow sufficient time for the visa application process as it can take as long as 2-3 months.  We encourage future hosts of international visitors to contact IVP as early as possible to discuss proposed programs.

Note:  The IVP team facilitates the process of inviting international visitors.  It also works to see that USDA and the USFS are complying with a number of complex regulations.  Units and staff hosting visitors through the International Visitor Program also assume responsibility for adhering to the various regulations and for carrying out the obligations as hosts of J-1 Exchange Visitors.

Host Process