Progress and Departure Reports
As required by the U.S. Department of State, program sponsors of Exchange Visitor Programs must monitor the progress of program participants. For programs exceeding 6 months in duration, Host Advisors and Exchange Visitors should produce program progress reports every 4 months and submit these to their IVP Specialist.
When preparing for the completion of a program and stay, the hosting department and the exchange visitor should submit a Departure Report. Email reminders are sent to both the host and visitor providing a link to the online survey.
An Exchange Visitor must complete all program and work-related activities as of the program end date on the DS-2019. The Exchange Visitor has an additional 30 days after the official end date to depart the country. This grace period of 30 days is meant to allow time to prepare for departure, travel within the US, and engage in cultural exchange activities.
If for any reason an Exchange Visitor plans to finish the program before the actual end date on the DS-2019, s/he must inform the hosting unit and International Programs. This is important as SEVIS records may need to be adjusted.
Overstaying one’s visa (i.e. program end date + 30-day grace period) is a SERIOUS immigration violation with long-term consequences. Any future visa applications are likely to be denied, regardless of the visa classification or purpose of visit to the US. It is extremely important that a visitor depart the US within 30 days of their program end date listed on the DS-2019 form.
Exchange Visitors should complete program requirements, close all accounts and settle outstanding obligations or commitments. Failure to do so could result in being classified as ineligible for reentry to the US. Here is a check list of reminders:
- Departure Report for International Programs (online survey)
- Inform IVP Specialist of departure date
- Residence: clean housing, close out leases/rent, return keys, close accounts/utilities, obtain returns of deposit
- Notify IVP of your change of address. Provide forwarding addresses & contact information to hosting unit, IVP Specialist, etc.
- Supply Post Office with Change of Address Form (forward home mail to trusted friend or colleague)
- Submit final reports/documents
- Request letters of recommendation (if applicable)
- Remove funds from debit card (if issued by International Programs)