and Case Studies
- Ager, A.A., Vaillant, N.M., Finney, M.A. 2011. Integrating fire behavior models and geospatial analysis for wildland fire risk assessment and fuel management planning. Journal of Combustion, Article ID 572452, 19 pages.
- Vaillant, N.M., Ager, A.A., Anderson, J. 2013. ArcFuels10 system overview. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-875. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 65 p.
- Vaillant, N.M., Ager, A.A., Anderson, J., Miller L. 2013. ArcFuels User Guide and Tutorial: for use with ArcGIS 9. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-877. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 256 p.
- Ager, A.A., Vaillant, N.M., Finney, M.A., Preisler, H.K. 2012. Analyzing wildfire exposure and source–sink relationships on a fire prone forest landscape. Forest Ecology and Management 267, 271-283.
- Joint Fire Science Brief - ArcFuels (PDF, 715 KB)
- PNW Science Findings - Forests at Risk: Integrating Risk Science into Fuel Management Strategies (PDF, 1.16 MB)
- New Risk Tools: The Emergence and Potential of New Wildfire Risk Assessment Tools (PDF, 753 KB)
- Quantifying the potential impacts of fuel treatments on wildfire suppression costs.
- Challenges and Approaches in Planning Fuel Treatments across Fire-Excluded Forested Landscapes (PDF, 683 KB)
- A comparison of landscape fuel treatment strategies to mitigate wildland fire risk in the urban interface and preserve old forest structure (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Modeling wildfire risk to northern spotted owl (Strix occidentalis caurina) habitat in Central Oregon, USA (PDF, 1.98 MB)
- A simulation study of thinning and fuel treatments on a wildland–urban interface in eastern Oregon, USA (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Modeling the effects of thinning on bark beetle impacts and wildfire potential in the Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- A Wildfire Risk Modeling System for Evaluating Landscape Fuel Treatment Strategies (PDF, 590 KB)
- Dry Forest Workshop at Eagle Crest, October 2009 in Redmond, OR (PDF, 4.2 MB)
- Interagency Fuels Coordination Group (NIFCG), August 2007 (PDF, 29.9 MB)
- The 25th Annual ESRI International User Conference, July 25-29, 2005 in San Diego, CA (PDF, 28 KB)
- The 26th Annual ESRI International User Conference, August 7-11, 2006 in San Diego, CA (PDF, 217KB)
- 2006 IAWF Conference Portland OR—How to Measure Success (PDF, 1.0 MB)
RapidSpot Workshop on Landscape Fuel Treatment Design using
ArcFuels, Portland, OR; November 6-8, 2007
- Calkin, D., Ager, A.A., Thompson, M., 2011. A comparative risk assessment framework for wildland fire management: the 2010 cohesive strategy science report. In, Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-262. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 63 p.
- Calkin, D.E., Ager, A.A., Gilbertson-Day, J., Scott, J.H., Finney, M.A., Schrader-Patton, C., Quigley, T.M., Strittholt, J.R., Kaiden, J.D., 2010. Wildfire risk and hazard: procedures for the first approximation. In, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Fort Collins, CO., Gen. Tech. Rep., GTR-RMRS-235. 62 p.
- Calkin, D.E., Finney, M.A., Ager, A.A., Thompson, M.P., Gebert, K.G., 2011. Progress towards and barriers to implementation of a risk framework for federal wildland fire policy and decision making in the United States. Forest Policy and Economics 13, 378-389.
- Thompson, M., Calkin, D., Finney, M., Ager, A., Gilbertson-Day, J., 2011. Integrated national-scale assessment of wildfire risk to human and ecological values. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment 25, 761-780
- Lee, D.C., Ager, A.A., Calkin, D.E., Finney, M.A., Thompson, M.P., Quigley, T.M., McHugh, C.W., 2011. Appendix A: Comparative Risk Assessment. In A national cohesive wildland fire management strategy, report to Congress. Appendix A. 13 p.
Additional Risk Assessment Papers
Receive Email Updates
To sign up for periodic e-mail updates please visit our listserv page. This will provide a way of receiving information about new ArcFuels versions, upcoming training, and other relevant information about fuel treatment planning.
Page last updated 11/25/2013