Job vacancies are posted on USAJOBS.gov. If you are not already registered with USAJOBS, please register and set up a profile. You will need to provide some personal information and resume to get started.
A career with the Forest Service
The Forest Service hires more than 30,000 employees to serve in a variety of careers including professional, technical, and administrative positions on the front lines of conservation, intelligent resource utilization and wildland management. Learn about the opportunities waiting for you through the following links.
- Overview of popular careers with the Forest Service
- Forest Service Outreach Database
- A career in law enforcement
- Visit the USDA Forest Service You Tube channel for more videos on the work involved in the Forest Service
Are you a student or recent graduate?
Pathways Programs are developmental programs tailored to promote employment opportunities for students and recent graduates in the Federal workforce.
The Pathways Programs consists of:
- The Internship Program, which offers career opportunities to students currently enrolled in qualifying educational programs or institutions (high school to graduate level)
- The Recent Graduates Program, which offers recent graduates of qualifying educational institutions and programs a career development program with training and mentorship
- The Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program, which offers a leadership development program for individuals with a qualifying advanced degree (e.g., Graduate or professional degree)
Our commitment to diversity
The Forest Service is achieving a single mission through diverse perspectives. The Forest Service is made up of thousands of employees from different backgrounds working toward the same goals. Diversity means much more than ethnicity, gender, or culture. We believe that diverse perspectives help us solve problems more effectively. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Opportunities for Veterans: We are committed to recruiting and employing qualified veterans. We value the experience, commitment, and work ethic that veterans bring to the job as well as their significant skills and abilities. We are proud to provide opportunities to those who wish to continue to serve their country after their service or while they continue to serve in the Military Reserves or National Guard.
Pay and benefits
The Office of Personnel Management manages USAJOBS.gov and sets policy on government-wide hiring procedures, provide training and development and administer health and other insurances programs for employees.
- Federal hiring FAQs
- Disability employment
- Group Life Insurance Program
- Health Benefits Program
- Long-Term Care Insurance Program
- Union Master Agreement
How to apply
You must have a USAJOBS profile. No need to create a new profile if you already have a USAJOBS profile. Basic demographic information automatically populates when you apply for multiple positions across the Federal government. Once your profile is set up, you must upload a resume in USAJOBS, which should be tailored to the job for which you are applying. You can create a resume through the USAJOBS website or upload a resume as an attachment. You should also upload other documents that may be required for the position you are applying.
You may choose to receive email notifications via USAJOBS by clicking on “Notification Settings” in the “Application Status” tab and selecting the notification alerts you wish to receive regarding your application.
You can set up saved job searches, which will automatically search for jobs based on your search criteria and email you notifications about other job opportunities. Additional information is available via the USAJOBS Resource Center under the Job Search category.
- Tailor your resume to each job announcement
- Spell out acronyms
- Be honest
- Write clear and concise statements
- Use active verbs
- Proofread your resume
Below are a couple of resources to help with applying for positions through USAJOBS:
- USAJOBS Resource Center – contains tutorials and information about creating saved searches, creating a resume, and much more.
- OPM Video – How to Apply
Human Resources Management
(877) 372-7248 (Select Option 2 and follow prompts)