Greening, Community Building
Chief Tidwell takes part in a ceremonial tree planting after the agency awarded $181,000 to Urban Releaf of Oakland, Calif. The money supports the Green Street Research, Demonstration and Education Project as well as tree planting and maintenance through Oakland. The project includes public education about water conservation.
Forest Service grants and agreements
What are the types of federal financial assistance the Forest Service awards?
Cooperative agreement: A legal instrument used to document assistance when substantial involvement is expected between the Forest Service and the recipient.
Grant: A legal instrument used to document assistance when substantial involvement is not expected between the Forest Service and the recipient.
You can find financial help from through Forest Service through grants and cooperative agreements, primarily through Research and Development and State and Private Forestry Units. Detailed information may be found though our Acquisition Management program.
What are grants?
Federal financial assistance comes under two categories:
- Cooperative agreements: a legal agreement used to document assistance when substantial involvement is expected between the Forest Service and the recipient.
- Grant: financial assistance that is used to carry out a specific project that will help the public but which does not require substantial involvement between the Forest Service and the recipient.
All federal grants and agreements must include:
- Federal cost principles
- Federal management standards
- Federal audit requirements
- USDA implementation regulations
Grants are not:
- Individual loans
- Federal assistance
How do I apply for a grant or agreement with the Forest Service?
- The fastest way is through Grants.gov, a centralized source to find and apply for federal grants.
- Read our Partnership Guide, which offers valuable information about working the Forest Service. Of particular interest is Funding Resources.
- Contact your local Forest Service regional office
- Research USDA grants and agreements
- Create a private forest – The Forest Legacy Program gives grants to landowners. PDF file