The Woody Biomass Utilization Desk Guide is a valuable resource.
There are a variety of tools, methods, and process to achieve forest management, restoration, and fuels reduction including the utilization of woody biomass.
Select the subheadings below to expand or contract the lists of related links and documents, or you may Contract All or Expand All.
- Climate Change Resource Center (CCRC) - a reference Web site for resource managers and decisionmakers who need information and tools to address climate change in planning and project implementation on lands in the West.
- Fuels for Schools- a venture between public schools, State Foresters, and Regional Foresters of the Forest Service to helps public schools retrofit their current fuel or gas heating system to small-scale biomass heating systems.
- Renewable Electric Plant Information System – provides information on renewable energy plants and installed capacity for energy planners, policy makers, and others interested in renewable energy.
- Forest Service Stewardship Contracting - includes natural resource management practices seeking to promote a closer working relationship with local communities in a broad range of activities that improve land conditions.
- Land Stewardship Demonstration Contracts, Region 1 - projects focused on achieving desired future resource conditions rather than meeting assigned output targets, and contribute to the development of sustainable rural communities.
- Department of Energy, Energy Information Administration - provides policy-independent data, forecasts, and analyses to promote sound policy-making, efficient markets, and public understanding regarding energy and its interaction with the economy and the environment.
- Department of Energy, National Renewable Energy Laboratory - the U.S. Department of Energy's premier laboratory for renewable energy research and development and a lead lab for energy efficiency R&D.
- Department of Energy, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, Biomass Program - develops technology for conversion of biomass (plant-derived material) to valuable fuels, chemicals, materials and power, so as to reduce dependence on foreign oil and foster growth of biorefineries.
- Healthy Forests and Rangelands - provides fire, fuels, and land management information to government officials, land and fire management professionals, businesses, communities, and other interested organizations and individuals.
- Joint Fire Sciences Project - provides scientific information and support for fuel and fire management programs.
- USDA Energy Web -
The USDA Energy Web includes interactive map, graphing analysis tools, and the USDA Energy Matrix. These instruments allow you to view past USDA investments, navigate in a friendly environment USDA energy programs and compare and analyze biofuels and bioenergy data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). On the USDA Blog: Enhanced and Updated USDA Energy Website Makes Information Easy to Access.
US Forest Service
Woody Biomass Utilization Team
Sidney R.Yates Federal Building
3rd Floor Southwest
201 14th Street, S.W. at Independence Ave., S.W.
Washington, DC 20250
Please contact us with questions or comments regarding this website.