OHV and Roads: Synthesis Documents and Literature Reviews
Last update June 1, 2008
(keyword search: synthesis, literature review, review)
Download the PDF
1137. Albrecht, J., and T. B. Knopp. 1985. Off Road Vehicles - Environmental Impact - Management Response: A Bibliography. Miscellaneous Publication No. 35. Agricultural Experiment Station, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN.
114. Andren, H. 1994. Effects of habitat fragmentation on birds and mammals in landscapes with different proportions of suitable habitat: a review. Oikos 71: 355-366.
1133. Andrews, A. 1990. Fragmentation of habitat by roads and utility corridors: a review. Australian Zoologist 26: 130-141.
115. Anonymous. 2000. Annotated bibliography to conservation biology literature.
118. Bender, Darren J., T. A. Contreras, and Lenore Fahrig. 1998. Habitat loss and population decline: A meta-analysis of the patch size effect. Ecology 79(2): 517-533.
1252. Bennett, A. F. 1991. Roads, roadsides and wildlife conservation: A review. Pp. 99-117 in: D. A. Saunders and R. J. Hobbs (editors), Nature Conservation: The Role of Corridors. Surrey Beatty and Sons, Chipping Norton, Australia.
1175. Berry, K., S. Busack, S. Byrne, E. Davidson, M. Fox, J. Keefe, and R. Luckenbach. 1996. The effects of off-road vehicles on animal populations and habitats: a review of the literature. National Biological Service, Riverside Field Office, Riverside, CA.
1078. Blaustein, A. R., D. B. Wake, and W. P. Sousa. 1994. Amphibian declines: Judging stability, persistence, and susceptibility of populations to local and global extinctions. Conservation Biology 8(1): 60-71.
692. Bowman, R. 2001. Demography of Florida scrub-jays in a suburban matrix: implications for reserve design and spatially-explicit modeling. Pp. 3 in: D. P. Zattau (editor), Proceedings of the Florida Scrub Symposium 2001. U.S. Department of Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, Jacksonville, FL.
5. Boyle, S. A., and F. B. Samson. 1985. Effects of nonconsumptive recreation on wildlife: a review. Wildlife Society Bulletin 13: 10-116.
129. Brainerd, S. M. 1990. The pine marten and forest fragmentation: a review and general hypothesis. Transactions of the 19th Congress of the International Union of Game Biologists, September 1989, Trondheim, Norway, NINA, Norwegian Institute for Nature Research.
729. Breininger, D. R., M. J. Kehl, R. B. Smith, D. M. Oddy, J. A. Provancha, and V. L. Larson. 1992. Identification of species considerations for maintenance of biological diversity along the Atlantic coast of Florida. Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America 73(2).
130. Bright, P. W. 1993. Habitat fragmentation - problems and predictions for British mammals. Mammal Review 23(3/4): 101-111.
1321. Case, R. M. 1978. Interstate highway road-killed animals: A data source for biologists. Wildlife Society Bulletin 6: 8-13.
137. Chalfoun, A. D., F. R. Thompson III, and M. J. Ratnaswamy. 2002. Nest predators and fragmentation: review and meta-analysis. Conservation Biology 16(2): 306-318.
1204. Chasez, Heather R., Tom Roberts, and Ray Emmett. 2007. Wildlife Crossing Literature Review. Prepared by EMS Scientists, Engineers, Planners, Inc. for the Florida Department of Transportation, DeLand, FL. 48 p.
1200. Cole, David N. 1986. Resource impacts caused by recreation. INT4901 Publication # 165. The Commission, Washington D.C.
1147. Crist, Michele R., Bo Wilmer, and Gregory H. Aplet. 2005. Assessing the value of roadless areas in a conservation reserve strategy: biodiversity and landscape connectivity in the northern Rockies. Journal of Applied Ecology 42(1): 181-191.
536. deMaynadier, Phillip G., and Malcolm L. Hunter Jr. 1995. The relationship between forest management and amphibian ecology: a review of the North American literature. Environmental Review 3: 230-261.
773. DeStefano, S. 2002. Regional and national issues for forest wildlife research and management. Forest Science 48(2): 181-189.
1333. Dunning, J. B. , B. J. Danielson, and H. R. Pulliam. 1992. Ecological processes that affect populations in complex landscapes. Oikos 65: 169-175.
1222. Evink, G. L. 2002. Interaction between roadways and wildlife ecology. National cooperative highway research program synthesis 305. Transportation Research Board,
160. Fahrig, L. 2002. Effect of habitat fragmentation on the extinction threshold: a synthesis. Ecological Applications 12(2): 346-353.
539. Forman, Richard T. T., and Lauren E. Alexander. 1998. Roads and their major ecological effects. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 29: 207-231.
1165. Frederick, Glenn P. 1991. Effects of forest roads on grizzly bears, elk, and gray wolves: a literature review. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Kootenai National Forest, Libby, MT. 41 p.
1423. Gilbert, B. K. 2003. Motorized access on Montana's Rocky Mountain Front: a synthesis of scientific literature and recommendations for use in revision of the travel plan for the Rocky Mountain Division. The Coalition for the Protection of the Rocky Mountain Front, Logan, UT.
327. Gucinski, Hermann, Michael J. Furniss, Robert R. Ziemer, and Martha H. Brookes. 2001. Forest roads: a synthesis of scientific information. General Technical Report PNW-GTR-509. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station, Portland, Oregon.
1425. Hall, J. A. 1980. Direct impacts of off-road vehicles on vegetation. Pp. 63-74 in: P. G. Rowlands (editor), The Effects of Disturbance on Desert Soils, Vegetation and Community Processes with Emphasis on Off-Road Vehicles: a Critical Review. U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Riverside, CA.
1073. Halliday, T. R. 1993. Declining amphibians in Europe, with particular emphasis on the situation in Britain. Environmental Reviews 1: 21-25.
600. Hann, W. J. 1992. Management for landscape and ecosystem diversity. Pp. 63-71 in: A. G. Evenden and R. L. DeVelice (editors), Proceedings: Northern Region Biodiversity Workshop, Missoula, MT, September 11-13, 1990. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Region; Intermountain Research Station, Missoula, MT.
176. Harper, Karen A., S. Ellen MacDonald, Philip J. Burton, Jiquan Chen, Kimberley D. Brosofske, Sari C. Saunders, Eugenie S. Euskirchen, Dar Roberts, Malanding S. Jaiteh, and Per-Anders Esseen. 2005. Edge influence on forest structure and composition in fragmented landscapes. Conservation Biology 19(3): 768-782.
1206. Huijser, M. P., and K. J. S. Paul. 2008. A Literature Review for Parks Canada, Kootenay National Park. Prepared by the Western Transportation Institute, College of Engineering, Montana State University, for Parks Canada, Lake Louise, Yoho and Kootenay, Radium Hot Springs, B. C. 119 p.
1207. Huijser, Marcel P., Kylie J. S. Paul, Lauren Oechsli, Rob Ament, Anthony P. Clevenger, and Adam Ford. 2008. Wildlife-Vehicle Collision and Crossing Mitigation Plan for Hwy 93S in Kootenay and Banff National Park and the Roads in and Around Radium Hot Springs. Report prepared by the Western Transportation Institute, College of Engineering, Montana State University, for Parks Canada, Lake Louise, Yoho, and Kootenay, Radium Hot Springs. 259 p.
23. Joslin, G., and J. Youmans (editors). 1999. Effects of recreation on Rocky Mountain wildlife: a review for Montana. Committee on Effects of Recreation on Wildlife, Montana Chapter of the Willdife Society, Helena, MT.
1229. Kaseloo, Paul A. 2006. Synthesis of noise effects on wildlife populations. Pp. 33-35 in: C. L. Irwin, P. Garrett and K. P. McDermott (editors), Proceedings of the 2005 International Conference on Ecology and Transportation. Center for Transportation and the Environment, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC.
1458. Krumpe, E. E., and R. C. Lucas. 1986. Research on recreation trails and trail users: a literature review. Pp. in, The President's Commission on Americans Outdoors. INT 4901, Publication No. 168.
1435. Kuss, F. R., A. R. Graefe, and J. J. Vaske. 1984. Recreation Impacts and Carrying Capacity: a Review and Synthesis of Ecological and Social Research, Draft Review Report Edition. University of Maryland, College Park, MD.
1160. Lampila, Petri, Mikko Monkkonen, and Andre Desrochers. 2005. Demographic responses by birds to forest fragmentation. Conservation Biology 19(5): 1537-1546.
1436. Larkin, R. P. 1996. Effects of military noise on wildlife: a literature review. USACERL Technical Report 96/21. Illinois Natural History Survey, Champaign, IL.
1460. Leung, Y-F., and J. L. Marion. 1996. Trail degradation as influenced by environmental factors: a state-of-the-knowledge review. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 51(2): 130-136.
684. McNay, M. E. 2002. Wolf-human interactions in Alaska and Canada: a review of the case history. Wildlife Society Bulletin 30(3): 831-843.
902. Miller, K. E., T. J. Doonan, and D. Pearson. 2001. Status of the Florida scrub-jay at Cedar Key Scrub State Reserve and vicinity. Proceedings of the Florida Scrub Symposium 2001, Jacksonville, FL, U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish & Wildlife Service.
920. Noss, Reed F. 1999. Assessing and monitoring forest biodiversity: A suggested framework and indicators. Forest Ecology and Management 115(2-3): 135-146.
1410. Oliff, T., K. Legg, and K. Baeding (editors). 1999. Effects of winter recreation on wildlife of the Greater Yellowstone Area: a literature review and assessment. Report to the Greater Yellowstone Coordinating Committee, Yellowstone National Park, WY.
387. Opdam, P. 1991. Metapopulation theory and habitat fragmentation: a review of holarctic breeding bird studies. Landscape Ecology 5(2): 93-106.
1161. Parker, Timothy H., Brooke M. Stansberry, and C. Dustin Becker. 2005. Edge and area effects on the occurrence of migrant forest songbirds. Conservation Biology 19(4): 1157-1167.
28. Pepper, C. B., M. A. Nascarella, and R. J. Kendall. 2003. A review of the effects of aircraft noise on wildlife and humans, current control mechanisms, and the need for further study. Environmental Management 32(4): 418-432.
513. Petraitis, P. S., R. E. Latham, and R. A. Niesenbaum. 1989. The maintenance of species diversity by disturbance. The Quarterly Review of Biology 64(4): 393-418.
1064. Pickering, Catherine Marina, and Wendy Hill. 2007. Impacts of recreation and tourism on plant biodiversity and vegetation in protected areas in Australia. Journal of Environmental Management 85(4): 791-800.
29. Preisler, Haiganoush K., Alan A. Ager, and Michael J. Wisdom. 2006. Statistical methods for analysing responses of wildlife to human disturbance. Journal of Applied Ecology 43: 164-172.
351. Radle, Autumn Lyn. 2003. The effects of noise on wildlife: a literature review, University of Oregon. 2003.
1409. Reinhart, D. P. 1999. Effects of winter recreation on habituated wildlife. Pp. 151-154 in: T. Oliff, K. Legg and K. Baeding (editors), Effects of winter recreation on wildlife of the Greater Yellowstone Area: a literature review and assessment. Report to the Greater Yellowstone Coordinating Committee, Yellowstone National Park, WY.
1179. Rowlands, P. G. 1983. Effects of disturbance on desert soils, vegetation, and community processes with emphasis on off-road vehicles: a critical review. Desert Plan Staff Special Publication. U. S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Riverside, California.
247. Saunders, D. A., R. J. Hobbs, and C. R. Margules. 1991. Biological consequences of ecosystem fragmentation: a review. Conservation Biology 5(1): 18-32.
1474. Schonewald-Cox, C. , and M. Buechner. 1992. Park protection and public roads. Pp. 373-396 in: P. L. Fieldler and S. L. Jain (editors), Conservation Biology: The Theory and Practice of Nature Conservation, Preservation and Management. 373-395. Chapman and Hall, New York.
1194. Slaughter, Charles W., Charles H. Racine, Donald A. Walker, Larry A. Johnson, and Gunars Abele. 1990. Use of off-road vehicles and mitigation of effects in Alaska permafrost environments: a review. Environmental Management 14(1): 63-72.
1130. Spellerberg, Ian F. 1998. Ecological effects of roads and traffic: a literature review. Global Ecology and Biogeography Letters 7(5): 317-333.
253. Stephens, S. E., D. N. Koons, J. J. Rotella, and D. W. Willey. 2003. Effects of habitat fragmentation on avian nesting success: a review of the evidence at multiple spatial scales. Biological Conservation 115: 101-110.
523. Stillwater Sciences. 1999. Literature review for headwater amphibians: cascades frog. Draft report. 7 p.
1537. Stowkowski, Patricia A., and Christopher B. LaPointe. 2000. Environmental and social effects of ATVs and ORVs: an annotated bibliography and research assessment. University of Vermont, School of Natural Resources, Burlington, VT. 32 p.
1202. Taylor, Richard B. 2006. The effects of off-road vehicles on ecosystems. Texas Parks and Wildlife, Uvalde, TX. 12 p.
1448. Thompson, Katherine A. 2007. Management perceptions of off-highway vehicle use on National Forest system lands in Appalachia. M.S. Thesis. West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV. 155 p.
661. Trombulak, S. C., and C. A. Frissell. 2000. Review of ecological effects of roads on terrestrial and aquatic communities. Conservation Biology 14(1): 18-30.
1499. Underhill, J. E. , and P. G. Angold. 2000. Effects of roads on wildlife in an intensively modified landscape. Environmental Review 8: 21-39.
446. Watling, James I., and Maureen A. Donnelly. 2006. Fragments as islands: a synthesis of faunal responses to habitat patchiness. Conservation Biology 20(4): 1016-1025.
1181. Webb, R. H., and Howard G. Wilshire. 1978. A bibliography of the effects of off-road vehicles. Open file report 78-149. U.S. Department of the Interior, Geological Survey, Menlo Park, CA.
273. Wiens, J. A. 1976. Population responses to patchy environments. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 7: 81-120.
1016. Wissman, Robert C., Jeanette E. Smith, Bruce A. McIntosh, Hiram W. Li, Gordon H. Reeves, and James R. Sedell. 1994. A History of Resource Use and Disturbance in Riverine Basins of Eastern Oregon and Washington (Early 1800s-1990s). Northwest Science 68: 1-35.
Page Last Modified: October 27, 2011