Noise Effects Related to OHV Use and Roads References
Last update June 1, 2008
(keywords searched: noise, sound, vibration, hearing)
Download the PDF
707. Allen, C. D., M. Savage, D. A. Falk, K. F. Suckling, T. W. Swetnam, T. Schulke, P. B. Stacey, P. Morgan, M. Hoffman, and J. T. Klingel. 2002. Ecological restoration of Southwestern ponderosa pine ecosystems: A broad perspective. Ecological Applications 12(5): 1418-1433.
1541. AMEC Americas Limited. 2005. Mackenzie gas project effects of noise on wildlife. Prepared for Imperial Oil Resources Ventures Limited, 74 p.
1060. Bee, Mark A., and Eli M. Swanson. 2007. Auditory masking of anuran advertisement calls by road traffic noise. Animal Behaviour 74(6): 1765-1776.
1449. Behan, J. R., M. T. Richards, and M. E. Lee. 2001. Effects of tour jeeps in a wildland setting on non-motorized recreationist benefits. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration 19(2): 1-19.
1255. Bloomfield, H. V. 1969. Snowmobiles - boon or bane? American Forestry 75: 4-5, 48, 50-51.
1308. Bowles, A. E. 1997. Responses of wildlife to noise. Pp. 109-156 in: R. L. Knight and K. J. Gutzwiller (editors), Wildlife and Recreationists: Coexistence through Management and Research. Island Press, Washington, D.C.
1170. Brattstrom, Bayard H., Michael C. Bondello, Robert H. Webb, and Howard G. Wilshire. 1983. Effects of off-road vehicle noise on desert vertebrates. Pp. 167-206 in: R. H. Webb and H. G. Wilshire (editors), Environmental effects of off-road vehicles: impacts and management in arid regions. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY.
1265. Bury, R. L. 1978. Impacts of snowmobiles on wildlife. Transactions of the North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference 43: 149-156.
1318. Cameron, R., D. J. Reed, J. R. Dau, and W. T. Smith. 1992. Redistribution of calving caribou in response to oil field development on the arctic slope of Alaska. Arctic 45: 338-342.
1218. Clevenger, Anthony P., B. Chruszcz, and K. Gunson. 2001. Drainage culverts as habitat and factors affecting passage by mammals. Journal of Applied Ecology 38: 1340-1349.
1328. Cronin, M. A. , S. C. Amstrup, G. M. Durner, L. E. Noel, T. L. McDonald, and W. B. Ballard. 1998. Caribou distribution during the post-calving period in relation to infrastructure in the Prudhoe Bay oil field, Alaska. Arctic 51: 85-93.
110. De Boer, S. F., J. L. Slangen, and J. Van der Gugten. 1988. Adaptation of plasma catecholamine and corticosterone responses to short-term repeated noise stress in rats. Physiology and Behavior 44: 273-280.
12. Delaney, D. K., and T. G. Grubb. 2003. Effects of off-highway vehicle noise on the northern spotted owls: 2002 results. State of California Department of Parks and Recreation, Sacramento, CA. 38 p.
1150. Delaney, David K., and Teryl G. Grubb. 2004. Sound recordings of road maintenance equipment on the Lincoln National Forest, New Mexico: a report to San Dimas Technology and Development Center, November 2003. Research Paper RMRS-RP-49. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Fort Collins, CO.
13. Delaney, D. K., T. G. Grubb, P. Beier, L. L. Pater, and M. H. Reiser. 1999. Effects of helicopter noise on Mexican spotted owls. Journal of Wildlife Management 63(1): 60-76.
1151. Delaney, D. K., L. L. Pater, R. J. Dooling, B. Lohr, B. F. Brittan-Powell, L. L. Swindell, T. A. Beaty, L. D. Carlile, E. W. Spadgeske, B. A. MacAllister, and R. H. Melton. 2002. Assessment of training noise impacts on the red-cockaded woodpecker: 1998-2000. Technical Report TR 02-32. ERDC/CERL,
1334. Dyer, S. J. , J. P. O'Neill, S. M. Wasel, and S. Boutin. 2001. Avoidance of industrial development by woodland caribou. Journal of Wildlife Management 65: 531-542.
1337. Federal Highway Administration. 1995. Highway Traffic Noise Analysis and Abatement Policy and Guidance. Federal Highway Administration, Office of Environment and Planning, Washington, D.C.
15. Foote, A. D., R. W. Osborne, and A. R. Hoelzel. 2004. Whale-call response to masking boat noise. Nature 428: 910.
542. Forman, Richard T. T. 2000. Estimate of the area affected ecologically by the road system in the United States. Conservation Biology 14(1): 31-35.
539. Forman, Richard T. T., and Lauren E. Alexander. 1998. Roads and their major ecological effects. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 29: 207-231.
544. Forman, Richard T. T., Bjorn Reineking, and Anna M. Hersperger. 2002. Road traffic and nearby grassland bird patterns in a suburbanizing landscape. Environmental Management 29(6): 782-800.
500. Forman, Richard T. T., Daniel Sperling, John A. Bissonette, Anthony P. Clevenger, Carol D. Cutshall, Virginia H. Dale, Lenore Fahrig, Robert France, Charles R. Goldman, Kevin Heanue, Julia A. Jones, Frederick J. Swanson, Thomas Turrentine, and Thomas C. Winter. 2003. Road Ecology: Science and Solutions. Island Press, Washington DC.
805. Grafe, T. U., S. Dobler, and K. E. Linsenmair. 2002. Frogs flee from the sound of fire. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B: Biological Sciences 269(1495): 999-1003.
109. Grubb, T. G., P. Beier, L. L. Pater, and M. H. Reiser. 1999. Effects of helicopter noise on Mexican spotted owls. Journal of Wildlife Management 63(1): 60-76.
1154. Grubb, T. G., and W. W. Bowerrnan. 1997. Variations in breeding bald eagle response to jets, light planes, and helicopters. Journal of Raptor Research 31: 213-222.
1155. Grubb, T. G., L. L. Pater, and D. K. Delaney. 1998. Logging truck noise near nesting Northern Goshawks. Research Note RMRS-RN-3. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Fort Collins, CO.
1199. Harrison, R. T. 1979. Predicting off-road vehicle acoustic impact on forest recreation: a simplified method. Pp. 120-137 in, Recreational impact on wildlands: conference proceedings, October 27-29, 1978, Seattle, Washington. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Region, Portland, OR.
1136. Heffner, R. S., and H. E. Heffner. 1985. Hearing in mammals: the least weasel. Journal of Mammalogy 66: 745-755.
1110. Jaeger, Jochen A. G., Jeff Bowman, Julie Brennan, Lenore Fahrig, Dan Bert, Julie Bouchard, Neil Charbonneau, Karin Frank, Bernd Gruber, and Katharina Tluk von Toschanowitz. 2005. Predicting when animal populations are at risk from roads: an interactive model of road avoidance behavior. Ecological Modelling 185(2-4): 329-348.
459. Jonsen, I. D., R. A. Myers, and J. M. Flemming. 2003. Meta-analysis of animal movement using state-space models. Ecology 84(11): 3055-3063.
1229. Kaseloo, Paul A. 2006. Synthesis of noise effects on wildlife populations. Pp. 33-35 in: C. L. Irwin, P. Garrett and K. P. McDermott (editors), Proceedings of the 2005 International Conference on Ecology and Transportation. Center for Transportation and the Environment, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC.
1228. Kaye, Delia R. J., Kevin M. Walsh, Eric L. Rulison, and Christopher C. Ross. 2006. Spotted turtle use of a culvert under relocated Route 44 in Carver, Massachusetts. Pp. 426-441 in: C. L. Irwin, P. Garrett and K. P. McDermott (editors), Proceedings of the 2005 International Conference on Ecology and Transportation. Center for Transportation and the Environment, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC.
1457. Knopp, T. B., and J. B. Tyger. 1973. A study of conflict in recreational land use: snowmobiling versus ski-touring. Journal of Leisure Research 5(3): 6-17.
1090. Kolbe, Jay A., John R. Squires, Daniel H. Pletscher, and Leonard F. Ruggiero. 2007. The effect of snowmobile trails on coyote movements within lynx home ranges. Journal of Wildlife Management 71(5): 1409-1418.
1436. Larkin, R. P. 1996. Effects of military noise on wildlife: a literature review. USACERL Technical Report 96/21. Illinois Natural History Survey, Champaign, IL.
1461. Mace, B. A., P. A. Bell, and R. J. Loomis. 1999. Aesthetic, affective, and cognitive effects of noise on natural landscape assessment. Society and Natural Resources 12: 225-242.
1035. Mazerolle, Marc J., Mattieu Huot, and Mireille Gravel. 2005. Behavior of amphibians on the road in response to car traffic. Herpetologica 61(4): 380-388.
108. Merrill, Samuel B., and Craig R. Erickson. 2003. A GPS-based method to examine wolf response to loud noise. Wildlife Society Bulletin 31(3): 769-773.
1463. Miller, N. P. 2002. Transportation noise and recreational lands. 2002 International Congress on Noise Control Engineering, Dearborn, MI.
460. Miller, Nicholas P. 2004. Transportation noise and the value of natural quiet. Pp. 128-134 in: D. Harmon, B. M. Kilgore and G. E. Vietzke (editors), Protecting Our Diverse Heritage: The Role of Parks, Protected Areas, and Cultural Sites. Proceedings of the 2003 George Wright Society / National Park Service Joint Conference. The George Wright Society, Hancock, MI.
1410. Oliff, T., K. Legg, and K. Baeding (editors). 1999. Effects of winter recreation on wildlife of the Greater Yellowstone Area: a literature review and assessment. Report to the Greater Yellowstone Coordinating Committee, Yellowstone National Park, WY.
26. Palmer, A. G., D. L. Nordmeyer, and D. D. Roby. 2003. Effects of jet aircraft overflights on parental care of peregrine falcons. Wildlife Society Bulletin 31(2): 499-509.
28. Pepper, C. B., M. A. Nascarella, and R. J. Kendall. 2003. A review of the effects of aircraft noise on wildlife and humans, current control mechanisms, and the need for further study. Environmental Management 32(4): 418-432.
1057. Perez-Espona, S., F. J. Perez-Barberia, J. E. McLeod, C. D. Jiggins, I. J. Gordon, and J. M. Pemberton. 2008. Landscape features affect gene flow of Scottish Highland red deer (Cervus elaphus). Molecular Ecology 17(4): 981-986.
1115. Petel, T. D. V. P., J. M. Terhune, M. A. Hindell, and M. A. Giese. 2006. An assessment of the audibility of sound from human transport by breeding Weddell seals (Leptnychotes weddellii). Wildlife Research 33(4): 275-291.
351. Radle, Autumn Lyn. 2003. The effects of noise on wildlife: a literature review, University of Oregon. 2003.
1393. Reijnen, M. J. S. M. , G. Veenbaas, and R. P. B. Foppen. 1995. Predicting the Effects of Motorway Traffic on Breeding Bird Populations. Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management, Delft, Netherlands.
461. Reijnen, Rien, and Ruud Foppen. 1994. The effects of car traffic on breeding bird populations in woodland. I. Evidence of reduced habitat quality for willow warblers (Phylloscopus trochilus) breeding close to a highway. Journal of Applied Ecology 31(1): 85-94.
463. Reijnen, Rien, and Ruud Foppen. 1995. The effects of car traffic on breeding bird populations in woodland. IV. Influence of population size on the reduction of density close to a highway. Journal of Applied Ecology 32(3): 481-491.
1394. Reijnen, R. , R. Foppen, and H. Meeuwsen. 1996. The effects of car traffic on the density of breeding birds in Dutch agricultural grasslands. Biological Conservation 75: 255-260.
563. Reijnen, Rien, Ruud Foppen, Cajo Ter Braak, and Johan Thissen. 1995. The effects of car traffic on breeding bird populations in woodland. III. Reduction in density in relation to the proximity of main roads. Journal of Applied Ecology 32(1): 187-202.
1409. Reinhart, D. P. 1999. Effects of winter recreation on habituated wildlife. Pp. 151-154 in: T. Oliff, K. Legg and K. Baeding (editors), Effects of winter recreation on wildlife of the Greater Yellowstone Area: a literature review and assessment. Report to the Greater Yellowstone Coordinating Committee, Yellowstone National Park, WY.
686. Riffell, S. K., K. J. Gutzwiller, and S. H. Anderson. 1996. Does repeated human intrusion cause cumulative declines in avian richness and abundance? Ecological Applications 6(2): 492-505.
700. Rodgers Jr., J. A. 1991. Minimum buffer zone requirements to protect nesting bird colonies from human disturbance. Pp. 8 p. in. Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission, Bureau of Wildlife Research, Tallahassee, FL.
1116. Rodgers Jr., J. A., and H. T. Smith. 1997. Buffer distances to protect foraging and loafing waterbirds from human disturbance in Florida. Wildlife Society Bulletin 25(1): 139-145.
1400. Romin, L. , and L. B. Dalton. 1992. Lack of response by mule deer to wildlife warning whistles. Wildlife Society Bulletin 20: 382-384.
687. Schueck, L. S., J. M. Marzluff, and K. Steenhof. 2001. Influence of military activities on raptor abundance and behavior. The Condor 103(3): 606-615.
1201. Severinghaus, C. W. , and B. F. Tullar. 1975. Wintering deer versus snowmobiles. Conservationist 29(6): 31.
1481. Shen, J. X. 1983. A behavioral study of vibrational sensitivity in the pigeon (Columba livia). Journal of Comparative Physiology 152: 251-255.
33. Stabbekoorn, H., and M. Peet. 2003. Birds sing at a higher pitch in urban noise. Nature 424: 267.
688. Stalmaster, M. V., and J. L. Kaiser. 1998. Effects of recreational activity on wintering bald eagles. Wildlife Monographs 137: 1-46.
689. Steidl, R. J., and R. G. Anthony. 1996. Responses of bald eagles to human activity during the summer in interior Alaska. Ecological Applications 6(2): 482-491.
1537. Stowkowski, Patricia A., and Christopher B. LaPointe. 2000. Environmental and social effects of ATVs and ORVs: an annotated bibliography and research assessment. University of Vermont, School of Natural Resources, Burlington, VT. 32 p.
1157. Swarthout, E. C. H., and R. J. Steidl. 2001. Flush response of Mexican spotted owls to recreationists. Journal of Wildlife Management 65: 312-317.
1492. Tabor, R. 1974. Earthworms, crows, vibrations and motorways. New Scientist 62: 482-483.
36. Telesco, D. J., and F. T. Van Manen. 2006. Do Black Bears Respond to Military Weapons Training? Journal of Wildlife Management 70(1): 222-230.
1498. Ujvari, M. , H. J. Baagoe, and A. B. Madsen. 1998. Effectiveness of wildlife warning reflectors in reducing deer-vehicle collisions: a behavioral study. Journal of Wildlife Management 62: 1094-1099.
1501. van der Zande, A. N. , W. J. Ter Keurs, and W. J. van der Weijden. 1980. The impact of roads on the densities of four bird species in an open field habitat: evidence of a long-distance effect. Biological Conservation 18: 299-321.
1503. van Dyke, F. B. , R. H. Brocke, H. G. Shaw, B. B. Ackerman, T. P. Hemker, and F. G. Lindzey. 1986. Reactions of mountain lions to logging and human activity. Journal of Wildlife Management 50: 95-102.
1159. Windsor, J. 1977. The response of Peregrine Falcons (Falco peregrinus) to aircraft and human disturbance. Report for Environmental Social Programs. Canadian Wildlife Service. Mackenzie Valley Pipeline Investigations.
370. Wisdom, Michael J., Alan A. Ager, Haiganoush K. Preisler, Norman J. Cimon, and Bruce K. Johnson. 2004. Effects of off-road recreation on mule deer and elk. Pp. 531-550 in, Transactions of the 69th North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference.
1447. Yack, Tina, Ann Bowles, Keith Slauson, William Zielinski, and Kenneth Plotkin. 2006. An acoustic technique for monitoring off-highway vehicle (OHV) use with sound level meter data: comparison with trailmaster records. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 120(5): 3337.
Page Last Modified: October 27, 2011