Habitat Destruction and Habitat Loss Effects Related to OHV Use and Roads References
Last update June 1, 2008
(keywords searched: habitat loss, habitat destruction)
1541. AMEC Americas Limited. 2005. Mackenzie gas project effects of noise on wildlife. Prepared for Imperial Oil Resources Ventures Limited, 74 p.
1067. Arens, Paul, Theo van der Sluis, Wendy P. C. van't Westende, Ben Vosman, Claire C. Vos, and Marinus J. M. Smulders. 2007. Genetic population differentiation and connectivity among fragmented Moor frog (Rana arvalis) populations in The Netherlands. Landscape Ecology 22(10): 1489-1500.
118. Bender, Darren J., T. A. Contreras, and Lenore Fahrig. 1998. Habitat loss and population decline: A meta-analysis of the patch size effect. Ecology 79(2): 517-533.
1254. Blom, C. W. P. M. 1976. Effects of trampling and soil compaction on the occurrence of some Plantago species in coastal sand dunes. Oecologia Plantarum 11: 225-241.
129. Brainerd, S. M. 1990. The pine marten and forest fragmentation: a review and general hypothesis. Transactions of the 19th Congress of the International Union of Game Biologists, September 1989, Trondheim, Norway, NINA, Norwegian Institute for Nature Research.
729. Breininger, D. R., M. J. Kehl, R. B. Smith, D. M. Oddy, J. A. Provancha, and V. L. Larson. 1992. Identification of species considerations for maintenance of biological diversity along the Atlantic coast of Florida. Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America 73(2).
1260. Brown, G. W., and N. Schoknecht. 2001. Off-road vehicles and vegetation patterning in a degraded desert ecosystem in Kuwait. Journal of Arid Environments 49: 413-427.
1314. Buhlmann, K. A. 1995. Habitat use, terrestrial movements, and conservation of the turtle, Deirochelys reticularia, in Virginia. Journal of Herpetology 29: 173-181.
1266. Bury, R. B., and R. W. Marlow. 1973. The desert tortoise: will it survive? Environmental Journal June: 9-12.
1318. Cameron, R., D. J. Reed, J. R. Dau, and W. T. Smith. 1992. Redistribution of calving caribou in response to oil field development on the arctic slope of Alaska. Arctic 45: 338-342.
1320. Carr, L. W., L. Fahrig, and S. E. Pope. 2002. Impacts of landscape transformation by roads. Pp. 225-243 in: K. J. Gutzwiller (editor), Applying Landscape Ecology in Biological Conservation. Springer, New York.
9. Cole, David N., and Peter B. Landres. 1995. Indirect effects of recreation on wildlife. Chapter 11. Island Press., Washington D. C.
1336. Edge, W. D. , and C. L. Marcum. 1985. Movements of elk in relation to logging disturbances. Journal of Wildlife Management 49: 926-930.
467. Eigenbrod, Felix, Stephen J. Hecnar, and Lenore Fahrig. 2008. The relative effects of road traffic and forest cover on anuran populations. Biological Conservation 141: 35-46.
1030. Eigenbrod, Felix, Stephen J. Hecnar, and Lenore Fahrig. 2008. An improved measure of the effects of habitat loss and roads on wildlife populations. Landscape Ecology 23(2): 159-168.
159. Fahrig, L. 1997. Relative effects of habitat loss and fragmentation on population extinction. Journal of Wildlife Management 61(3): 603-610.
541. Forman, Richard T. T., and Robert D. Deblinger. 2000. The ecological road-effect zone of a Massachusetts (U.S.A.) suburban highway. Conservation Biology 14(1): 36-46.
1165. Frederick, Glenn P. 1991. Effects of forest roads on grizzly bears, elk, and gray wolves: a literature review. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Kootenai National Forest, Libby, MT. 41 p.
1445. Grant, Tyler J. 2005. Flat-tailed horned lizards (Phrynosoma mcallii): population size estimation, effects of off-highway vehicles, and natural history. M.S. Thesis. Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO. 97 p.
1189. Griggs, Gary B., and Barbara L. Walsh. 1981. The impact, control, and mitigation of off-road activity in Hungry Valley, California. Environmental Geology 3(4): 229-243.
1425. Hall, J. A. 1980. Direct impacts of off-road vehicles on vegetation. Pp. 63-74 in: P. G. Rowlands (editor), The Effects of Disturbance on Desert Soils, Vegetation and Community Processes with Emphasis on Off-Road Vehicles: a Critical Review. U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Riverside, CA.
1427. Hannah, D. H. 1992. Fragmentation in the Ocala National Forest: a GIS Analysis. M.S. Thesis. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.
1432. Heede, B. H. 1983. Control of rills and gullies in off-road vehicle traffic areas. Pp. in: R. H. Webb and H. G. Wilshire (editors), Environmental Effects of Off-Road Vehicles: Impacts and Management in Arid Regions. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY.
1433. Hinckley, B. S., R. M. Iverson, and B. Hallet. 1983. Accelerated water erosion in ORV-use areas. Pp. 83-96 in: R. H. Webb and H. G. Wilshire (editors), Environmental Effects of Off-Road Vehicles: Impacts and Management in Arid Regions. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY.
1110. Jaeger, Jochen A. G., Jeff Bowman, Julie Brennan, Lenore Fahrig, Dan Bert, Julie Bouchard, Neil Charbonneau, Karin Frank, Bernd Gruber, and Katharina Tluk von Toschanowitz. 2005. Predicting when animal populations are at risk from roads: an interactive model of road avoidance behavior. Ecological Modelling 185(2-4): 329-348.
183. Jager, H. I., E. A. Carr, and R. A. Efroymson. 2006. Simulated effects of habitat loss and fragmentation on a solitary mustelid predator. Ecological Modelling 191: 416-430.
185. Johannesen, E., and R. A. Ims. 1996. Modelling survival rates: habitat fragmentation and destruction in root vole experimental populations. Ecology 77(4): 1196-1209.
190. Kareiva, P., D. Skelly, and M. Ruckelshaus. 1997. Reevaluating the use of models to predict the consequences of habitat loss and fragmentation. Pp. 156-166 in: S. T. A. Pickett, R. S. Ostfeld, M. Shachak and G. E. Kihens (editors), The ecological basis of conservation. Chapman & Hall, New York, NY.
1228. Kaye, Delia R. J., Kevin M. Walsh, Eric L. Rulison, and Christopher C. Ross. 2006. Spotted turtle use of a culvert under relocated Route 44 in Carver, Massachusetts. Pp. 426-441 in: C. L. Irwin, P. Garrett and K. P. McDermott (editors), Proceedings of the 2005 International Conference on Ecology and Transportation. Center for Transportation and the Environment, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC.
1160. Lampila, Petri, Mikko Monkkonen, and Andre Desrochers. 2005. Demographic responses by birds to forest fragmentation. Conservation Biology 19(5): 1537-1546.
1349. Mader, H. -J. 1984. Animal habitat isolation by roads and agricultural fields. Biological Conservation 29: 81-96.
1350. Mader, H. -J., C. Schell, and P. Kornacker. 1990. Linear barriers to arthropod movements in the landscape. Biological Conservation 54: 209-222.
207. Manolis, J. C., D. E. Andersen, and F. J. Cuthbert. 2000. Patterns in clearcut edge and fragmentation effect studies in northern hardwood-conifer landscapes: retrospective power analysis and Minnesota results. Wildlife Society Bulletin 28(4): 1088-1101.
1059. Markovchick-Nicholls, Lisa, Helen M. Regan, Douglas H. Deutschman, Astrid Widyanata, Barry Martin, Lani Noreke, and Timothy Ann Hunt. 2008. Relationships between human disturbance and wildlife land use in urban habitat fragments. Conservation Biology 22(1): 1523-1739.
342. Marsh, D. M., and N. G. Beckman. 2004. Effects of forest roads on the abundance and activity of terrestrial salamanders. Ecological Applications 14(6): 1882-1891.
1112. McGrann, A. M., M. C. McGrann, and R. J. Dial. 2005. Off-highway vehicle impact on Astragulus magdalenae var. Piersonii, and other critical plant species of the Algodones Dunes, California. California Fish and Game 91(2): 61-82.
1111. McGrann, M. C., G. R. Wright, R. J. Dial, and A. M. McGrann. 2006. Off-highway vehicle impact on the flat-tailed horned lizard, Phyrnosoma Mcallii, in the Colorado desert of southern California. California Fish and Game 92(2): 67-80.
416. Monthey, Roger W. 1984. Wildlife considerations in the management of fragmented older forests: The coast ranges of Northwest Oregon. Pp. 367-371 in: W. R. Meehan, T. R. Merrell Jr. and T. A. Hanley (editors), Fish and Wildlife Relationships in Old-Growth Forests. American Institute of Fisheries Research and Biology, Juneau, Alaska.
441. Morrison, Michael L., and E. Charles Meslow. 1983. Avifauna associates with early growth vegetation on clearcuts in the Oregon Coast Ranges. Report PNW-305. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Portland, OR.
1369. Nellemann, C. , and R. D. Cameron. 1996. Effects of petroleum development on terrain preferences of calving caribou. Arctic 49: 23-28.
1370. Nellemann, C., and R. D. Cameron. 1998. Cumulative impacts of an evolving oil-field complex on the distribution of calving caribou. Canadian Journal of Zoology 76: 1425-1430.
423. Noble, Ian R., and R. Dirzo. 1997. Forests as human-dominated ecosystems. Science 277: 522-525.
1096. Noel, Sarah, Martin Ouellet, Patrick Galois, and Francois-Joseph Lapointe. 2007. Impact of urban fragmentation on the genetic structure of the eastern red-backed salamander. Conservation Genetics 8(3).
918. Noss, Reed F., and L. D. Harris. 1990. Habitat connectivity and the conservation of biological diversity: Florida as a case history. Proceedings of the Society of American Foresters National Convention 1989: Forestry on the Frontier, Bethesda, MD, The Society.
921. Noss, R. F., J. R. Strittholt, K. Vance-Borland, C. Carroll, and P. Frost. 1999. A conservation plan for the Klamath-Siskiyou ecoregion. Natural Areas Journal 19(4): 392-411.
1408. Pomerantz, Gerri A., Daniel J. Decker, Gary R. Goff, and Ken G. Purdy. 1988. Assessing impact of recreation on wildlife: a classification scheme. Wildlife Society Bulletin 16(1): 58-62.
1123. Potocnik, I. 2003. Forest road formation width as an indicator of human impact on forest environment. Ekologia-Bratislava 22(3): 298-304.
564. Rice, R. M., and J. Lewis. 1991. Estimating erosion risks associated with logging and forest roads in northwestern California. Water Resources Bulletin 27(5): 809-818.
355. Riley, S. P. D., R. M. Sauvajot, T. K. Fuller, E. C. York, D. A. Kamradt, C. Bromley, and R. K. Wayne. 2003. Effects of Urbanization and Habitat Fragmentation on Bobcats and Coyotes in Southern California. Conservation Biology 17(2): 566-576.
388. Rosenberg, D. K., Barry R. Noon, and E. Charles Meslow. 1997. Biological corridors: form, function, and efficacy. Bioscience 47(10): 677-687.
243. Rosenberg, K. V., J.D. Lowe, and A. A. Dhondt. 1999. Effects of forest fragmentation on breeding tanagers: a continental perspective. Conservation Biology 13(3): 568-583.
246. Sanchez-Cordero, Victor, Patricia Illoldi-Rangel, Miguel Linaje, Sahotra Sarkar, and A. Townsend Peterson. 2005. Deforestation and extant distributions of Mexican endemic mammals. Biological Conservation 126: 465-473.
291. Santos, M. J. 2007. Testing wildlife connectivity in the California foothills ring: crossing through the central valley or going around?
1539. Sauvajot, Raymond M., Marybeth Buechner, Denise A. Kamradt, and Christine M. Schonewald. 1998. Patterns of human disturbance and response by small mammals and birds in chaparral near urban development. Urban Ecosystems 2(4): 279-297.
249. Schlaepfer, M. A., and T. A. Gavin. 2001. Edge effects on lizards and frogs in tropical forest fragments. Conservation Biology 15(4): 1079-1090.
250. Schmiegelow, F. A., and M. Monkkonen. 2002. Habitat loss and fragmentation in dynamic landscapes: avian perspectives from the boreal forest. Ecological Applications 12(2): 375-389.
972. Sidle, R. C. 1980. Impacts of forest practices on surface erosion. Oregon State University, Extension Service, Corvallis, OR.
397. Simberloff, Daniel. 1993. How forest fragmentation hurts species and what to do about it. Pp. 85-90 in: W. W. Covington and L. F. DeBano (editors), Sustainable Ecological Systems: Implementing an Ecological Approach to Land Management. General Technical Report GTR-RM-247. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Fort Collins,CO.
484. Spies, Thomas A., William J. Ripple, and G. A. Bradshaw. 1994. Dynamics and pattern of a managed coniferous forest landscape in Oregon. Ecological Applications 4(3): 555-568.
254. Swihart, R. K., T. M. Gehring, M. B. Kolozsvary, and T. E. Nupp. 2003. Responses of 'resistant' vertebrates to habitat loss and fragmentation: the importance of niche breadth and range boundaries. Diversity and Distributions 9: 1-18.
485. Swihart, Robert K., Jeffrey J. Lusk, Joseph E. Duchamp, Carol E. Rizkalla, and Jeffrey E. Moore. 2006. The roles of landscape context, niche breadth, and range boundaries in predicting species responses to habitat alteration. Diversity and Distributions 12: 277-287.
256. Tallmon, D. A., E. S. Jules, N. J. Radke, and L. S. Mills. 2003. Of mice and men and trillium: cascading effects of forest fragmentation. Ecological Applications 13(5): 1193-1203.
1444. The Wilderness Society. 2006. Addressing the ecological effects of off-road vehicles (ORV's). Science and Policy Brief 3: 1-16.
702. Tilman, D., and C. Lehman. 2001. Human-caused environmental change: Impacts on plant diversity and evolution. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 98(10): 5433-5440.
258. Tilman, D., R. M. May, C. L. Lehman, and M. A. Nowak. 1994. Habitat destruction and the extinction debt. Nature 371: 65-66.
1497. Turtle, S. L. 2000. Embryonic survivorship of the spotted salamander (Ambystoma maculatum) in roadside and woodland vernal pools in southeastern New Hampshire. Journal of Herpetology 34: 60-67.
1502. van der Zee, F. F. , J. Wiertz, C. J. F. Ter Braak, and R. C. Apeldoorn. 1992. Landscape change as a possible cause of the badger Meles meles L. decline in The Netherlands. Biological Conservation 61: 17-22.
1503. van Dyke, F. B. , R. H. Brocke, H. G. Shaw, B. B. Ackerman, T. P. Hemker, and F. G. Lindzey. 1986. Reactions of mountain lions to logging and human activity. Journal of Wildlife Management 50: 95-102.
1093. Vors, Liv S., James A. Schaefer, Bruce A. Pond, Arthur R. Rodgers, and Brent R. Patterson. 2007. Woodland caribou extirpation and anthropogenic disturbance in Ontario. Journal of Wildlife Management 71(4): 1249-1256.
1509. Walker, D. A. , P. J. Webber, E. F. Binnian, K. R. Everett, N. D. Lederer, E. A. Norstrand, and M. D. Walker. 1987. Cumulative impacts of oil fields on northern Alaskan landscapes. Science 338: 757-761.
1016. Wissman, Robert C., Jeanette E. Smith, Bruce A. McIntosh, Hiram W. Li, Gordon H. Reeves, and James R. Sedell. 1994. A History of Resource Use and Disturbance in Riverine Basins of Eastern Oregon and Washington (Early 1800s-1990s). Northwest Science 68: 1-35.
274. Wolff, J. O., E. M. Schauber, and W. D. Edge. 1997. Effects of habitat loss and fragmentation on the behavior and demography of grey-tailed voles. Conservation Biology 11(4): 945-956.
1041. Young, A. , and N. Mitchell. 1994. Microclimate and vegetation edge effects in a fragmented podocarp-broadleaf forest in New Zealand. Biological Conservation 67: 63-72.
Page Last Modified: February 18, 2014