Growing a Surprise Garden
You can grow a surprise garden from the seeds you pick up on your sneakers on a muddy walk!
What you will need to get started
- A rainy day
- Clean jar or plastic container
- Sterile compost or potting soil
- Clear plastic
- A warm place
Put on your sneakers and take a walk after rain. It doesn't matter where you go, as long as it's muddy.
- Scrape the mud from your sneakers when you get home, and put it in a clean jar or plastic container.
- Mix enough water with the mud to make it runny and leave the mixture to soak overnight.
- Add sterile compost or potting soil from a garden center to the mud and water mixture.
- Cover the tray with a sheet of clear plastic and store it in a warm place.
The seedlings will begin to grow after two to three weeks.
As they get larger, carefully move them to bigger pots so you can watch them grow to full size.
Can you identify all the plants?
- Home-Made Sweet Homes - Building Native Bee Nesting Blocks
- How to Make Butterfly Gardens
- Landscaping for Wildlife (PDF, 706 KB)
- Make your own hummingbird feeder from recycled soda bottles (PDF, 68 KB)
- Make your own Wildflower Notecards
- Make your own Perfume (PDF, 38 KB)
- Growing Flowers from Bulbs
- Growing a Surprise Garden
- Preserving Wildflowers
- Wild Flower Bookmark Gift