Rare Plant Information Resources
The Natural Heritage Program Network
In 1974, The Nature Conservancy helped establish the first state natural heritage program and over the next two decades, with the help of many public and private partners, built a network of programs that collects and manages data about the status and distribution of species and ecosystems of conservation concern. NatureServe is the organization that consolidates this data and makes it available on the internet. Every state in the U.S. has a natural heritage program that maintains tracking lists and other information about the state’s rare and endangered plants. Find out more about NatureServe Network resources.
Field Guides, Images, and Other Information about Rare Plants
Natural heritage programs and other agencies and organizations have developed rare and endangered plant field guides, species profiles, image libraries, and other information about the rare and endangered plants in various states and regions. Much of this information is available on the internet. Some information exists only in printed form; contact the agency, organization, or publisher to get copies. Internet and print Information Resources are listed below.
National Information Resources
- Center for Plant Conservation National Collection of Endangered Plants
The Center for Plant Conservation (CPC) provides excellent profiles of the many rare and endangered plants held at CPC participating institutions.
NatureServe is a network connecting science and conservation. NatureServe and its network or natural heritage programs are a principal source for information about rare and endangered species and threatened ecosystems.
Regional Information Resources
- New England Wildflower Society: Conservation Programs
- Flora Conservanda: New England (PDF, 853 KB)
The New England Plant Conservation Program (NEPCoP) list of plants in need of conservation.
- New England Wild Flower: Conservation Notes of the New England Wild Flower Society (PDF, 1.7 MB)
A special edition of the New England Wild Flower Society Journal was published to introduce Flora Conservanda: New England.
State Information Resources
- Alaska Rare Plant Field Guide (Alaska Natural Heritage Program Environment and Natural Resources Institute)
- Arizona Game and Fish Department: Plant Abstracts, Distribution Maps and Illustrations
- Arizona Rare Plant Committee. circa 2001. Arizona Rare Plant Field Guide: A Collaboration of Agencies and Organizations. Arizona Heritage Data Management System, Arizona Game and Fish Department, Phoenix.
- California Native Plant Society Inventory of Rare and Endangered Plants
- A Field Guide to the Rare Plants of the Angeles National Forest (PDF, 16.2 MB)
- Krantz, Tim. 1990. A Guide to the Rare and Unusual Wildflowers of the Big Bear Valley Preserve. Friends of the Big Bear Valley Preserve.
- Nakamura, Gary and Julie K. Nelson. 2001. Illustrated Field Guide to Selected Rare Plants of Northern California. University of California, Agriculture and Natural Information Resources Publication 3395. 370p.
- Presidio of San Francisco: Rare and Endangered Plants (National Park Service)
- Rare Plants of San Diego County (Sierra Club)
- Atlas of Florida Vascular Plants
- Field Guide to the Rare Plants and Animals of Florida (Florida Natural Areas Inventory)
- Floridata: Endangered Plants of the Florida Scrub - Short profiles of rare and endangered endemics in this vanishing plant community, as well as profiles of other Florida scrub plants.
- Threatened and Endangered Species of the Upper Savannah River Basin (US Army Corps of Engineers)
- Chafin, Linda G., H. Nourse and C. Nourse. 2007. Field Guide to the Rare Plants of Georgia. State Botanical Garden of Georgia, Athens, Georgia.
- Field Guide to the Special Status Plants of the Bureau of Land Management Lower Snake River District
- Idaho Fish and Game:
- Threatened, Endangered, and Candidate Plant Species of Idaho (PDF, 1.0 MB). TN Plant Materials No. 51. January 2013 Revision. Technical Note. USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service, Boise, Idaho.
- USDA Forest Service. circa 1989. Idaho and Wyoming Endangered and Sensitive Plant Field Guide. USDA Forest Service, Intermountain Region, Ogden, Utah.
- Indiana Department of Natural Resources: Division of Nature Preserves - includes Endangered Species lists.
- Ecosphere Environmental Services. 1995. The Farmington District Endangered, Threatened and Sensitive Plant Field Guide. USDI Bureau of Land Management, Farmington District, Farmington, New Mexico.
- Ecosphere Environmental Services. 1998. Bureau of Land Management Albuquerque and Taos Field Office Endangered, Threatened and Sensitive Plant Field Guide. Pub. BLM/NM/GI-99/004+1150. USDI Bureau of Land Management, Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- Ecosphere Environmental Services. 2002. The Roswell and Carlsbad Bureau of Land Management Field Offices and Lincoln National Forest Endangered, Threatened and Sensitive Plant Field Guide. Pub. BLM/NM/GI-02-012-1920. USDI Bureau of Land Management, Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- New Mexico Rare Plants (New Mexico Rare Plant Technical Council)
- North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services: Plant Industry - Plant Conservation - The Plant Conservation Program is responsible for the listing and protection of North Carolina's endangered plants and threatened plant species.
- Dimling, J. 1991. Willamette National Forest Sensitive Plant Field Guide. Pub. R6-WILL-004-91. USDA Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Region, Portland, Oregon.
- Meinke, R.J. 1982. Threatened and Endangered Vascular Plants of Oregon: An Illustrated Guide. U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Region 1, Portland, Oregon. 326 p.
- Oregon Natural Heritage Program. 2001. Rare, Threatened and Endangered Plants and Animals of Oregon. Oregon Natural Heritage Program, Portland, Oregon. 94 p.
- Oregon Department of Agriculture, Plant Division, Native Plant Conservation Program
- Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources: Wild Resources Conseravation Program: Endangered and Threatened Species of Pennsylvania
- South Carolina Department of Natural Resources: South Carolina Rare, Threatened, & Endangered Species Inventory
- Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation: Division of Natural Areas: Natural Heritage Inventory Program
- State of Utah Natural Resources Division of Wildlife Resource: Plants - Profiles for federally listed and candidate plants in Utah.
- Threatened, Endangered, and Candidate Plant Species of Utah (PDF, 4.0 MB). TN Plant Materials No. 52. January 2013 Revision. Technical Note. USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service, Boise, Idaho and Salt Lake City Utah.
- Utah Rare Plant Guide (Utah Native Plant Society)
- Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services: Regulations for the Enforcement of the Endangered Plant and Species Act (PDF, 11 KB)
- West Virginia Division of Natural Resources: Rare, Threatened And Endangered Species In West Virginia
- U.S. Forest Service. circa 1989. Idaho and Wyoming Endangered and Sensitive Plant Field Guide. USDA Forest Service, Intermountain Region, Ogden, Utah.
- Wyoming Rare Plant Field Guide (U.S. Geological Survey)