Therrell, Lisa ; Cole, David ; Claassen, Victor ; Ryan, Chris ; Davies, Mary Ann. 2006. Wilderness and Backcountry Site Restoration Guide. 0623 2815. Missoula, MT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Missoula Technology and Development Center. 394 p.
This comprehensive guide focuses on restoration of small-scale impact caused by human actions in wilderness and backcountry areas. The guide's goals are to:
- Help practitioners develop plans that thoroughly address the question of whether site restoration is the best management action and, if so, develop a site-specific restoration plan that incorporates ecological concepts and addresses patterns of human use.
- Provide the latest information on site-specific restoration techniques, including site preparation, soil amendments, planting, mulching, and so forth.
- Explore the various methods of plant propagation both on and off a restoration site.
- Provide approaches for project monitoring and documentation.
A link to the 117-megabyte print quality (300-dpi) Acrobat file follows this list of smaller Acrobat files with low-resolution graphics that are intended to be easier to download:
- i-xii, 1-4 (Front of book, contents, intro)
- 5-16, (chapter 1-part 1)
- 17-30 (chapter 1-part 2)
- 31-44 (chapter 2-part 1)
- 45-62 (chapter 2-part 2)
- 63-86 (chapter 3-part 1)
- 87-116 (chapter 3-part 2)
- 117-134 (chapter 3-part 3)
- 135-148 (chapter 3-part 4)
- 149-164 (chapter 3-part 5)
- 165-186(chapter 3-part 6)
- 187-200 (chapter 3-part 7)
- 201-214 (chapter 3-part 8)
- 215-236 (chapter 3-part 9, chapter 4)
- 237-256(chapter 5)
- 257-262 (appendix A)
- 263-288 (appendix B-part 1)
- 289-326 (appendix B-part 2)
- 327-336 (appendix C)
- 337-358 (appendix D)
- 359-394 (appendix E, back of book)
Keywords: bioengineering, cultural methods, disturbed land, disturbed soils, erodible soils, erosion, genetic diversity, genetics, handtools, monitoring, mulch, native plants, nurseries, philosophy, planning, planting, propagation, propagation materials, regulations, research, rooting, seed collection, seeds, soil amendments, soil physical properties, soils, tools, transplants, Western United States, wilderness management
These files are best for printing:
View 300 dpi PDF (117409 kb)
If you experience problems using the 300 dpi PDF file, use the lower resolution dpi PDF files if they are listed.