Water/Road Interaction Team, . 2000. Water/Road Interaction Field Guide. 0077 1803P. San Dimas, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, San Dimas Technology and Development Center. 68 p.
The purpose of this Guide is to:
- Provide an illustrated field-going guide of observable water/road interaction problems damaging to road, watershed condition, water quality, aquatic life, or public safety;
- Increase awareness of how road location, design, maintenance, and management affect interactions with rainfall, runoff, and ground water;
- Facilitate communication on water/road interaction problems among professionals and technicians in a variety of physical and biological science disciplines and fields of engineering;
- Improve recognition of basic road drainage problems, and the ability to identify and verify likely causes;
- Increase awareness of possible alternative treatments to mitigate existing problems;
- Develop knowledge and experience required to conceptualize road segment characteristics that provide desired safe access with minimal affect to watershed, water resources, and aquatic life;
- Help inform line officer decisions.
Keywords: ditch relief, erosion, road/stream crossings, subsurface flow, surface water, traveled way
These files are best for printing: (Help with PDF files)
View 72 dpi PDF (1649 kb)