Search
Resources
Contact Information

Business Operations,
Sustainable Operations,
Washington Office

201 14th Street SW
Mailstop 1108
Washington, DC 20024
National SusOps Email

Sustainable Operations

Youth

Parkway West High School

Profile

  • Parkway West High School is a magnet school in Philadelphia, PA that draws students who have aspirations to become teachers. It is 99.9% African American with the remaining 0.1% Hispanic.

School Mission

  • Parkway West High School, a small special admit school, formerly known as Parkway Gamma, seeks to provide a safe and nurturing learning environment, thereby ensuring that all students achieve to their maximum academic and social potential, and become productive citizens and life long learners; this will be achieved through a collegial bond among administration and staff, proficient teaching and learning and collaboration with our families and community partners.

School Vision

  • A safe, orderly, student-centered, and nurturing environment is essential for student learning.
  • Learning transpires at different rates and in different ways.
  • Graduation is achievable in four years, with students performing at either the advanced or proficient level across the curriculum.
  • The opportunity to explore careers in urban education and to learn by performing service provides knowledge and skills that are necessary for life-long learning. 
  • Preparing students to become responsible citizens is the shared responsibility of the school, student, parents/guardians and community.
  • Appreciation of religious and ethnic differences, culture, race, and gender, is essential in today’s society.
  • Every student has inherent worth and will have the opportunity to reach his/her personal and academic potential.
  • Students are our school’s most valuable asset.

 

Point of Pride

  • Met Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP)
  • 91 % Daily Average Attendance
  • 98 % Graduation Rate
  • Urban Education Academy
  • Small School
  • Criteria-Based Admission
  • Active Home and School Association
  • Community Partners: Philadelphia Academies, Cobbs Creek Environmental Center, Hickman AME Temple
  • University Partners: University of Pennsylvania, Bryn Marw University, Penn State University, Lincoln Universiy, Cheyney University, and California University of Pennsylvania 

 

References

 


Last Modified: 09/27/2011