Parkway West High School
Parkway West High School is a magnet school in Philadelphia, PA that draws students who have aspirations to become teachers. It is 99.9% African American with the remaining 0.1% Hispanic.
Parkway West High School, a small special admit school, formerly known as Parkway Gamma, seeks to provide a safe and nurturing learning environment, thereby ensuring that all students achieve to their maximum academic and social potential, and become productive citizens and life long learners; this will be achieved through a collegial bond among administration and staff, proficient teaching and learning and collaboration with our families and community partners.
- A safe, orderly, student-centered, and nurturing environment is essential for student learning.
- Learning transpires at different rates and in different ways.
- Graduation is achievable in four years, with students performing at either the advanced or proficient level across the curriculum.
- The opportunity to explore careers in urban education and to learn by performing service provides knowledge and skills that are necessary for life-long learning.
- Preparing students to become responsible citizens is the shared responsibility of the school, student, parents/guardians and community.
- Appreciation of religious and ethnic differences, culture, race, and gender, is essential in today’s society.
- Every student has inherent worth and will have the opportunity to reach his/her personal and academic potential.
- Students are our school’s most valuable asset.
Point of Pride
- Met Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP)
- 91 % Daily Average Attendance
- 98 % Graduation Rate
- Urban Education Academy
- Small School
- Criteria-Based Admission
- Active Home and School Association
- Community Partners: Philadelphia Academies, Cobbs Creek Environmental Center, Hickman AME Temple
- University Partners: University of Pennsylvania, Bryn Marw University, Penn State University, Lincoln Universiy, Cheyney University, and California University of Pennsylvania
Last Modified: 09/27/2011