Sustainable Operations Summit
Journey of Green Discovery
The Sustainable Operations Summit is scheduled for Febraury 14-16, 2012 (with travel days on February 13th and 17th). The Summit site is Region 5’s Wildland Fire Training and Conference Center in Sacramento, California.
The annual event is intended to highlight sustainable operations taking place agency-wide. Participants will learn about tools and information to establish green practices as part of existing business. Presentations will explore innovative sustainability projects and new technologies used across the country to implement sustainable operations initiatives.
Each year, for the past three years, the Sustainable Operations Summits have “led by example” by saving approximately $300K in travel costs, $100K or more in conference facilities costs, and 300 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Instructions for All Participants
- Virtual Participation
- Summit Blogs
- Letter and Media Release
- Spread the Word - Poster
- Hotel Reservations
- Summit Topics
- Instructions for Attendees/Presenters/ Moderators/Blog Track Champion
- Monday, Jan. 30th - Registration Opens
- Tuesday, Jan. 31st - Blog Track Champions can access site and begin blogging.
- Friday, February 3rd - Anyone who can register can access full website.
- DRAFT Summit Agenda (.doc)
- DRAFT Summit Agenda (.pdf copy)
- Session Summaries
- Presenter Biographies
- Sustainability Science Sessions (Feb. 15-16)
- Virtual Summit Group Locations (Summit Region/Station/Area Representative List)
- Virtual Participant List Form
- Represensative Contact Form
- Holiday Inn Express/Hampton Inn & Suites: There is a block of 20 rooms reserved in both the Holiday Inn Express and the Hampton Inn & Suites for February 13th - 17th.
- Lions Gate Hotel:
- Lions Gate Hotel Website
- Offering more than seventy (70) years of prior military service and history, the Lion’s Gate Hotel is in very close proximity to the Wildland Conference Center.
- Location: 3410 Westover, McClellan, California, 95652
- Telephone: 916-643-6222 or 866-866-7100.
- Please use the Booking Code: FRST.
- Venue: Region 5's Wildland Fire Training and Conference Center (WFTC) located in Sacramento, California, at the McClellan Business Park (formerly McClellan Air Force Base)
- Transmission: Live and Interactive web-accessible Sessions and presentations
- Name Badges: In person attendees are strongly encouraged to demonstrate their dedication to the 3R's (reduce, reuse, recycle) by bringing their own name badge. Extra nametags will be available for those who may not have a badge.
- Visioning the future of the Agency’s Sustainable Operations Program
- Human Behavior: “The Culture of Sustainability”
- “Getting to YES” in the National Climate Change Performance Scorecard
- National and International Sustainability
- Climate Change Science
- Emerging Technologies
- Virtual Green Tours
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts
- Sustainability Action Planning Workshop
- And much more!
Participate Virtually. Employees are encouraged to participate remotely with only a small group of Sustainable Operations ambassadors/representatives from various Regions, Stations, and Areas gathering in Sacramento. Virtual participants will help reduce the Agency’s travel costs and greenhouse gas emissions by attending via virtual technologies such as internet video webcasting, telephone conferencing and webinar, Tweeting, and other forms of social media.
Network and Collaborate. Designate one representative from your Unit to gather employees to participate remotely in the live-broadcast of the Summit. The representative can register for remote group participation and reach out to other perspective virtual participants at the field level.
Harness the Power of Competition. By Tuesday, February 21st, s ubmit a list of remote participants at your Unit to Lara Polansky at email@example.com. The Unit with the largest number of remote participants AND largest percentage of remote participants gathered in a single location will win "green" prizes."
Engage All Staffs. Sustainable Operations spans all disciplines and program areas. The Summit provides a great opportunity for green champions to reach out to employees not previously engaged in the Sustainable Operations dialogue and discuss opportunities for integration.
For onsite participants, we will reserve a block of rooms at a green hotel(s) in the Sacramento area at the government rate. More detailed information about hotel choices and reservation dates will be coming soon via official correspondence.
For general Summit questions, please contact the 2011 Summit Chairs: Renee Jewell at (707) 562-8820, or Lara Polansky at (707) 562-8937.For Virtual Services questions, please contact Virtual Services Lead, Jim McGinnis at (541) 552-1591.
Last Modified: 02/08/2012