National Forest System (NFS) Bundled Tribal Consultation
For the past few months, two Forest Service National Forest System staffs—Lands and Recreation, Heritage, and Volunteer Resources—revised their Forest Service directives. Directives tell Forest Service staff what to do and how to do it. Specifically, they revised the Solar Energy Directives, Commercial Filming Directives, and a Heritage Program Directive. The tribal consultation period will begin December 4, 2013, and concludes 120 days later on April 4, 2014.
Solar Energy Directives
- FSH 2709.11 – Special Uses Handbook, Chapter 80 – Solar Energy DRAFT (PDF, 210 KB) - Establishes chapter and caption, “Solar Energy,” and sets forth direction on authority, objectives, responsibility, definitions, and references for use in authorizing solar energy on National Forest System lands.
- FSM 2700 – Special Uses Management, Chapter 2720 – Special Uses Administration DRAFT (PDF, 68 KB) - sets forth authority, direction, and responsibility for the solar energy program and facilities.
- Questions and Answers: Solar Energy, Proposed Forest Service Directives [FSM 2720 and FSH 2709.11] (PDF, 80 KB)
Heritage Program Directive
- FSH 2309.12 – Heritage Handbook – Consultation Draft (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- FSH 2309.12 – Heritage Program Management Chapter Summaries (PDF, 21 KB)
- Questions and Answers Forest Service Handbook 2309.12, Heritage Program (PDF, 72 KB)
Commercial Filming Interim Directive
- FSH 2709.11 - Special Uses Handbook, Chapter 40 - Special Uses Administration, Interim Directive No.: 2709.11-2013-1 (PDF, 52 KB) - Re: 45.51b – Establishes Criteria for evaluating proposals for still photography and commercial filming in congressionally designated wilderness areas.
- Questions and Answers Interim Directive on Commercial Filming in Wilderness Areas, Forest Service Handbook (FSH) 2709.11, Section 45.53 (PDF, 39 KB)