Tribal Directives Consultation
Instructions for Consulting on the Proposed Tribal Relations Directives (FSM 1560 & FSH 1509.13)
Federally recognized tribes should have received information on the proposed Tribal Relations Directives as well as Fire Directives and the Special Forest Products Final Rule, inviting a bundled tribal consultation. The tribal consultation period for the Fire Directives and Special Forest Products Final Rule ended on October 6, 2013, but the tribal consultation period for the Tribal Relations Directives has been extended indefinitely.
To request consultation or provide comments on the Tribal Relations Directives, please contact your Regional Tribal Relations Program Manager listed in the table below. The Tribal Relations Program Managers can also provide you with hard copies of the directives, rule or appendices, help coordinate consultation, or further dialogue.
|Name||Email Address||Telephone Number||Region (states)|
|Cheryl Vanderburgemail@example.com||208-476-8332||Region 1 (MT, northern ID, ND, northwest SD)|
|Region 4 (southern ID, NV, UT, western WY)|
|Susan Johnsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||303-275-5760||Region 2 (CO, KS, NE, SD, eastern WY)|
(Arnold Wilson, Acting)
|505-842-3424||Region 3 (AZ, NM)|
|Robert Goodwinemail@example.com||707-562-8919||Region 5 (CA, HI, U.S. Pacific Islands)|
|Waldo Walkerfirstname.lastname@example.org||503-808-2603||Region 6 (OR, WA)|
|Ian Ritchieemail@example.com||404-347-5264||Region 8 (AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, OK, PR, SC, TN, TX, VI, VA)|
|Larry Headyfirstname.lastname@example.org||414-297-3777||Region 9 (CT, DE, IL, IN, IA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT, WV, WI)|
|Lillian Petershoareemail@example.com||907-586-7089||Region 10 (AK)|
If you have specific questions about the Tribal Relations Directives, you may also contact:
Assistant Director, Office of Tribal Relations
The Forest Service staff will review and take into consideration all comments before recommending a final draft to the Chief. The Forest Service Chief will review and finalize all revisions before publishing through the Forest Service directives process.
The Forest Service continues to be committed to government-to-government consultation. We encourage you to combine your consultation meetings where appropriate, and we look forward to assisting you in meeting your consultation needs.
Current Tribal Relations Directives
- Forest Service Manual (FSM) Chapter 1560 - State, Tribal, County, and Local Agencies; Public and Private Organizations; Amendment No.: 1500-2012-1; Effective Date: July 18, 2012 (.doc, 302 KB)
- Forest Service Handbook (FSH) 1509.13, Chapter 10 - Consultation with Tribes; Interim Directive No.: 1509.13-2012-1; Effective Date: July 17, 2012 (.doc, 79 KB)
Proposed Tribal Relations Directives
- Office of Tribal Relations Directives Overview (PDF, 1.7 MB) - presentation by Fred Clark, Office of Tribal Relations Director.
- Digest Of Proposed Changes: FSM 1560 - State, Tribal, County, And Local Agencies; Public And Private Organizations and FSH 1509.13 – American Indian And Alaska Native Relations Handbook, Chapter 10 - Consultation With Tribes And Alaska Native Corporations (PDF, 75 KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions - Revisions to Tribal Relations Manual and Handbook (PDF, 44 KB)
- DRAFT FSH 1509.13 – American Indian and Alaska Native Relations Handbook, Chapter 10 – Consultation with Tribes and Alaska Native Corporations (PDF, 193 KB)
- DRAFT FSM 1500 - External Relations, Chapter 1560 - State, Tribal, County, and Local Agencies; Public and Private Organizations (PDF, 502 KB)